Hiighway pegs

Steven

I got my highway pegs and they don't fit on the Crazy Iron crash bars. The specs claim that the bars are 1 inch, but upon measuring them they are 1.1 inch. The clamps for the pegs (1 inch) are high quality with no flex, so... I have a neighbor that welds (that's his job) and so he had just what I needed to weld a piece onto the crash bars to mount the pegs onto. He will also weld the bolt to the piece so the pegs will just screw on. All I need then is another nut to tighten up against the pegs once in position and some Loctite and the job is done. I'm having the pegs put on the front side of the crash bars because of the length of my legs. I wouldn't mind having another inch or two further, but that's okay.

The pegs themselves look to be very good quality (from J&P Cycles).

Pegs.jpg

On a side note, with all the farkels I've put on the bike, it looks twice as big plus it adds more weight which I can feel when standing still. I think if I had it to do over I would get side bags that I could remove when I want to travel light. The Day Long seat is HUGE and that also makes the bike look larger. BTW, for what it's worth, my neighbor said that the RDL seat looks expensive (it does) and to me, I wish I had gotten the plain version. The seat looks almost out of place on the bike. The plain one would have matched the bike a little better. Maybe I need two bikes, one for travel and one for kicking around town.

Last edited:
Steven, if those are the bars from Russia they may be 28 mm tube (1.1" is 27.94 mm) rather than 1.125" which is a common inch size of tubing.

Steven

I didn't check the mm size, but it is definitely 1.1 inch. It would make sense that they would use metric sized tubing. In any case, I would prefer to have the pegs welded. BTW, one of my floor boards loosened up a little a couple of days ago and began to turn. No big deal, but I think a little blue Loctite might be a prudent thing to use on those too. They were good for two years before that happened.

Steven

Remember what I said about my bike looking bigger because of all the farkels? I ran into my neighbor who lives across the street and I showed him my new seat. He asked me what happened to the other bike, the small red one. See, it isn't my imagination, it does look bigger.