Debating the CTX700

IronBunny

I currently own the CN700X but I am considering trading it for a CTX700 2015 with fairings, new for $5K

Main reason , due to my hips it is getting harder and harder for me to throw my leg over such a tall bike and the wind buffering dilema. I am on my second windscreen with no real improvement .

But otherwise the CN700X has served and fit me so well that I want to make sure about the CTX before I make the jump.

I want to how is the seat for the CTX and how is the wind noise and buffering situation. And the solutions , is there a favorite seat replacement and a favorite windscreen that really works.

I am hoping that because the wide fairing profile on the CTX700 the wind will be less of an issue then on the slim CN700X .

Any other annoyances about the CTX?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Steven

The seat that most people buy is the Corbin. The windshield is a Cee Bailey, that's about as good as it gets on the fared model.

As for the stock seat, it's decent, but many people replace it. Myself, I like the stock seat, but I tend to get off about every 50 miles or so. After about 100 - 200 miles it begins to get uncomfortable, somewhere in that range. I just bought a Russel Day Long seat and am still getting used to it. At this point, I think I will use the stock seat in town and the RDL on longer trips. The stock seat is easier to get into...

As for buffeting, I don't really get much, if any, with the Cee Bailey shield. I also have an x-creen that I will be installing soon. There is a good amount of wind coming from the side of the bike fairing, but I've learned to live with it. On some days (hot) it's rather nice. As for wind noise, there is some, but far less than without a shield.

If you're a heavy person, the suspension might be an issue. On the fared model there is a good amount of work to replace the air filter. I would also suggest getting a center stand. If nothing else, it makes oiling the chain much easier.

Other than that, I have the DCT and love it to death.

IronBunny

The seat that most people buy is the Corbin. The windshield is a Cee Bailey, that's about as good as it gets on the fared model.

As for the stock seat, it's decent, but many people replace it. Myself, I like the stock seat, but I tend to get off about every 50 miles or so. After about 100 - 200 miles it begins to get uncomfortable, somewhere in that range. I just bought a Russel Day Long seat and am still getting used to it. At this point, I think I will use the stock seat in town and the RDL on longer trips. The stock seat is easier to get into...

As for buffeting, I don't really get much, if any, with the Cee Bailey shield. I also have an x-creen that I will be installing soon. There is a good amount of wind coming from the side of the bike fairing, but I've learned to live with it. On some days (hot) it's rather nice. As for wind noise, there is some, but far less than without a shield.

If you're a heavy person, the suspension might be an issue. On the fared model there is a good amount of work to replace the air filter. I would also suggest getting a center stand. If nothing else, it makes oiling the chain much easier.

Other than that, I have the DCT and love it to death.
Just about all the info I needed, thank you!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

burdicda

I have had no problems with the stock seat and have ridden 400 mile days....but then my bike is a 2016 CTX700 DCT ABS w/fairing
I actually went to the factory for Madstad windshields and they custom fitted it while I sat on the bike and after riding it for a week they were gracious enough to "swap" out that one for one 2 inches taller and wider...no problems since...I ride on Interstate and along the ocean alot and every once in awhile a strong side gust will talk to me...otherwise it's great...never have turbulence bothering me since resizing it.

http://www.greenknights36.com/gallery3/index.php/My-CTX-So-Far

I agree with others that own as many as four (4) CTX's that you should get all the seat sizing done first because it does affect your windshield height sizing, also regardless of brand of windshield DO NOT use the rubber weldnut fasteners

http://www.greenknights36.com/gallery3/index.php/Misc-CTX-photos/rubberweldnuts

These things under duress and eventually will pull the nut right out of the rubber housing and your wind shield will become a projectile coming over the handlbars at you while going down the highway...

I swapped them all out for stainless machine bolts with split washers, fender washers, and regular nuts so if my windshield comes off it's because the frame has broken...hehehe

Hey Ironbunny edit your profile to show us where you are at....some of us may be right down the street from you and drop by to assist or invite to a ctx ride...

BTW...Welcome to the machine about the machine good to see you here...

Last edited:

IronBunny

Thanks for all info, am in Alachua FL

And yes, I love my NC700X, I just came back from a 5 day 1600 miles smokey mountain trip.... The bike was a dream other than the wind issues and every time I had to get on and off the bike. I guess my days of tall sports bikes are over.

Sad because I really love the bike, but the wind turbulence, wind noise and the height of the bike have become a deal breaker. I have never experienced so much wind issues and discomfort with any other bike before.

My last bike was a Sportster with no wind protection at all and I never felt so beaten up by the wind. I guess it is the beak shape of the bike , maybe on just sits too straight and too high on the bike, not sure but the NC700X and the wind issue has me looking for alternatives.

And from all that I read, people who have spent $300 on a windshield options available have found some improvements but still complaining about wind discomfort and I can't risk making such an investment to not be fully satisfied .

The NC700X It is the perfect camping bike, the suspension handled those challenging roads beautifully while loaded with a 200lbs jokey and all the camping gear, and the wind it is not a problem as long as I was doing under 40mph.

I wonder how it would had being covering the same amount of milage with the same load on my little Harley .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

burdicda

I'm fixing to do the same trip in October...From Florida to DC then back down the Blue Ridge Parkway and thru to Asheville maybe even down to Cherokee..

Looking forward to it...

IronBunny

I'm fixing to do the same trip in October...From Florida to DC then back down the Blue Ridge Parkway and thru to Asheville maybe even down to Cherokee..

Looking forward to it...

Oh how are you getting to DC straight highway?

You must do Ashville to Cherokee, it is the most exciting section of the BRPW, for my style of riding that is, I like to smell the flowers and take pictures.

If I was coming from DC, I would do the Blackwater falls in VA, then the skyline drive, then the BRPW, get off at Cherokee, go straight to Clingsman dome, at which point you could decide if you want to go to gatlingburg and do the dragon tail backwards, then at the deals gap pick up 28 and do the moonshine which will take you to kickstand lodge, spent the night, celebrate with Mo, next morning continue on 28 east to pinewood GA, you will see the most amazing waterfalls, pick up warwoman road to Clayton GA, 386 to Helen GA, best scenic roads without tourist traffic, skip going into Hellen, do the Suches loops, stay at the two wheels of Suches best motorcycle camping facility in the US, and that is the end of the fun, then ride home to Fl via the boring swamp lands of south GA and north FL...

That's what I did and GA was the best part of it all, fun roads and amazing scenery without the tourist traffic of NC and TN...

Here is the sad part, although the fall foliage is the most beautiful season because of the colorful Mauntains it is the most dangerous for motorcycles and less enjoyable due to the tourist crowd.

Now in the springs, still cool to avoid the heat of the summer and the bugs, so nice cool Weather and zero traffic, fabulous :)

If all you want to do is ride the twisting roads, you can cover the whole area very quickly, but it you go to enjoy the area and explore, there is so much beauty and so much to see that it
Could easily take a month your to cover most of what is there to enjoy.

Like I said, the NC700x did fantastic, perfect bike for the crusade with amazing fuel economy, motorcycle camping is cheap fabulous and addictive, so one can do the whole trip for very cheap if you like camping.

I had a blast and can't wait to go back in the fall when it cools down a little again :)

I wish I had a girlfriend to take with me and share the experience, I guess intimacy inside of a tent could be amazing :)

Not sure how the NC700x would do two up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

burdicda

I'm the chapter president of The Greenknights military motorcycle club chapter 36 out of Patrick Air Force Base Florida next to Kennedy Space Center. Every year there is a Knights of the Round Table meetup somewhere in the United States...this year DC. We are still waiting for the details but the options are trailer round trip, ride round trip, autotrain round trip, or autotrain up and ride back. I'm voting for autotrain up and ride back, we have done both autotrains before to Gettysburg one year and Outer Banks the next year. It all depends on who is going up with me (other bikers) and what we as a group want to do. The year we did Outer Banks, after it was over we drove to Boone, spent the night, then rode down to Ashville and cut off at 26 over to I-95 Georgia and back home...I'm kicking myself for not doing down to Cherokee but wives were on back of our two Goldwings at the time and wanted to get home.
Difference this year ...wife say's go all guys...and no rush...will have to see.

http://www.greenknights36.com/galle...s/Chapter-36-Ride-Back-thru-BlueRidge-Parkway

Last edited:

rickster

IronBunny: When you get the girlfriend, my advice would be to buy a big tent. With a name like IronBunny, I think you're gonna need some room! : - )
I ride my CTX700 two up with my wife, saddlebags, top box and luggage all over the Sierra Nevada. We've been over a lot of the twisty Sierra passes that cross 8,000 ft. or more and over passes on Interstate highways. Here's what I've found. On the smaller mountain roads, it isn't the bike that regulates my speed, it's the twisting road and my sense of safety. Regardless of how much power I have available, I'm going to run through these blind turns at the same speed. On the Interstate which I use only when needed, it's a bit different. With the two of us going over let's say, Donner Pass on I-80 I do have to down shift on the long steep grades on the eastern side to keep up with traffic at 65 mph (We fly over the more shallow grades on the western side in 6th gear). But, 5th gear seems to work well for the short time that it's needed. I sometimes look at bikes with more displacement that have really cool touring features and drool on my keyboard as Goldwing, Victory or Indian fantasies fill my little head. Today was a great example. I looked at the new Yamaha-Star Venture. It's awesome...and at 960 lbs for the transcon model it should be. Then I remember how easy my CTX is to ride whether touring or buzzing around the Sierra twisties by myself. I've re-bought my bike a dozen times like this!!!

Edit: BTW, I've had my bike for 20 months and I just turned over 28,000 miles on it!

Last edited:

IronBunny

IronBunny: When you get the girlfriend, my advice would be to buy a big tent. With a name like IronBunny, I think you're gonna need some room! : - )
I ride my CTX700 two up with my wife, saddlebags, top box and luggage all over the Sierra Nevada. We've been over a lot of the twisty Sierra passes that cross 8,000 ft. or more and over passes on Interstate highways. Here's what I've found. On the smaller mountain roads, it isn't the bike that regulates my speed, it's the twisting road and my sense of safety. Regardless of how much power I have available, I'm going to run through these blind turns at the same speed. On the Interstate which I use only when needed, it's a bit different. With the two of us going over let's say, Donner Pass on I-80 I do have to down shift on the long steep grades on the eastern side to keep up with traffic at 65 mph (We fly over the more shallow grades on the western side in 6th gear). But, 5th gear seems to work well for the short time that it's needed. I sometimes look at bikes with more displacement that have really cool touring features and drool on my keyboard as Goldwing, Victory or Indian fantasies fill my little head. Today was a great example. I looked at the new Yamaha-Star Venture. It's awesome...and at 960 lbs for the transcon model it should be. Then I remember how easy my CTX is to ride whether touring or buzzing around the Sierra twisties by myself. I've re-bought my bike a dozen times like this!!!

Edit: BTW, I've had my bike for 20 months and I just turned over 28,000 miles on it!

Loved your realistic response...

I find myself on the same boat, rebuying my own bike over and over...

I too dream and droll over a bike that has a radio and couch comfy seat, but those bikes tend to be bulky heavy and expensive, not practical in any way...

Am getting older and loosing my strength to handle big heavy and tall bikes, so the CTX presents a wonderful proposition...

Honda reliability, lightweight, low to seat height, cruiser style forward controls to benefit eking knees, it does seems like the perfect bike.

There is a 2015 left over model new for $5k, I just listed my 2012 CN for $3800, we will see how it goes...

Steven

I've never owned a large bike, a GSX 1100G was the largest, but I've ridden Goldwings. Those are wonderful bikes, but very limited except on the highway. My neighbor pointed out that there are many Goldwing owners where we live but you never see them out and about. They're just too much bike for in town riders. I've even spoken to a couple of GW owners who wanted to downsize for that reason. A long time ago I rode a friends 550 and I realized what I was missing. It was so easy and so fun to throw his bike into the corners compared to what I was riding. I could never get that out of my head and so before I bought the CTX I was looking at smaller bikes. I ended up with the CTX for the DCT and for how easy it was to ride. I know people who own large bikes and love them for what they do well, but I can't help but think that they're missing out on a lot of fun. The CTX makes me feel young.

Anyway, I spend most of my time in the country on two and one lane roads just cruising along at about 40 mph. The way I figure it, the faster I go the shorter the ride. When I was younger, it was about the bike and the thrills, but now it's about seeing the beauty of the planet. The furthest I've gone was 400 miles and I've also cruised at 95 mph on the Interstate (just to keep up with the traffic). I plan a 4k mile trip this year and I'm excited to see how that goes. The bike won't be an issue, for sure. The last time I took a trip was over 30 years ago. I've seen too many older folks just sitting around the house, only getting up to take care of the lawn or going out to eat. Life's too short for that. I don't need to tell you folks that.

For me, the CTX is a dream come true. It can do everything I need it to and it's fun! I've recently taken up photography and it goes well with riding. My shots aren't very good, but considering that I am surrounded by corn and bean fields, it makes me try harder to get good shots. I envy you folks who live near mountains and oceans. A funny thing about that... I lived in Lock Haven Penn for a year and to me it was gorgeous, but the people that grew up there didn't even notice it. I took that to heart and learned from it. In the midwest where I live, it's flat and all there is are fields of plants, but since I got my bike, I've come to realize that it has it's own beauty that changes throughout the year. It doesn't translate well in photographs, but the openness and vastness of it when I'm on my bike is extremely relaxing, it brings me to reflect on my life and reminds me of how precious life is.

I'm rambling and I'm preaching to the choir, but I guess what I'm saying is that the CTX is a wonderful bike, not perfect, but overlooking that, it's a great bike for people like myself. I don't know how the NC700 is to ride, but the CTX is very quick turning. It makes it easy to ride in town and at slower speeds. On the highway, it isn't as locked into a straight line as the larger bikes and for some people that that might be a negative. I've found that the CTX responds to very little input so the best way to ride it is to relax and let the bike do it's thing. It almost steers itself.

Oh, one more thing... the first time I rode one, I couldn't find the foot pegs and my feet were flailing around in the air until I figured it out. I put floorboards on mine and I really like them. I can move my feet around some and that makes it more comfortable to me.

Last edited:
Steven, the NC is a CTX with a different riding position and somewhat longer travel suspension. Take off the bodywork and the bikes are about 90% identical. So I don't think you'll find a lot of difference in the rides once you've adjusted to the different riding position.

The forward pegs were a issue for me on my first (and so far only) ride on my CTX. I kept dropping my feet straight down at a stop which didn't give me any leverage for holding the bike up. I had to make a point to think about "down and then back".

IronBunny

I've never owned a large bike, a GSX 1100G was the largest, but I've ridden Goldwings. Those are wonderful bikes, but very limited except on the highway. My neighbor pointed out that there are many Goldwing owners where we live but you never see them out and about. They're just too much bike for in town riders. I've even spoken to a couple of GW owners who wanted to downsize for that reason. A long time ago I rode a friends 550 and I realized what I was missing. It was so easy and so fun to throw his bike into the corners compared to what I was riding. I could never get that out of my head and so before I bought the CTX I was looking at smaller bikes. I ended up with the CTX for the DCT and for how easy it was to ride. I know people who own large bikes and love them for what they do well, but I can't help but think that they're missing out on a lot of fun. The CTX makes me feel young.

Anyway, I spend most of my time in the country on two and one lane roads just cruising along at about 40 mph. The way I figure it, the faster I go the shorter the ride. When I was younger, it was about the bike and the thrills, but now it's about seeing the beauty of the planet. The furthest I've gone was 400 miles and I've also cruised at 95 mph on the Interstate (just to keep up with the traffic). I plan a 4k mile trip this year and I'm excited to see how that goes. The bike won't be an issue, for sure. The last time I took a trip was over 30 years ago. I've seen too many older folks just sitting around the house, only getting up to take care of the lawn or going out to eat. Life's too short for that. I don't need to tell you folks that.

For me, the CTX is a dream come true. It can do everything I need it to and it's fun! I've recently taken up photography and it goes well with riding. My shots aren't very good, but considering that I am surrounded by corn and bean fields, it makes me try harder to get good shots. I envy you folks who live near mountains and oceans. A funny thing about that... I lived in Lock Haven Penn for a year and to me it was gorgeous, but the people that grew up there didn't even notice it. I took that to heart and learned from it. In the midwest where I live, it's flat and all there is are fields of plants, but since I got my bike, I've come to realize that it has it's own beauty that changes throughout the year. It doesn't translate well in photographs, but the openness and vastness of it when I'm on my bike is extremely relaxing, it brings me to reflect on my life and reminds me of how precious life is.

I'm rambling and I'm preaching to the choir, but I guess what I'm saying is that the CTX is a wonderful bike, not perfect, but overlooking that, it's a great bike for people like myself. I don't know how the NC700 is to ride, but the CTX is very quick turning. It makes it easy to ride in town and at slower speeds. On the highway, it isn't as locked into a straight line as the larger bikes and for some people that that might be a negative. I've found that the CTX responds to very little input so the best way to ride it is to relax and let the bike do it's thing. It almost steers itself.

Oh, one more thing... the first time I rode one, I couldn't find the foot pegs and my feet were flailing around in the air until I figured it out. I put floorboards on mine and I really like them. I can move my feet around some and that makes it more comfortable to me.

Preach and ramble all you want, I love good stories and to share how we come about, how we arrive where we are today mentally and ideologic.

There are always pros and cons, two side to the coin, etc...

Yes, imagining the comfort and the music while paddling along a country road with your better half on the back seat equally comfy, not cramped, enjoying quiet and silky smooth ride, with plenty of storage so that can feel free or not having to carry everything that you might need when it gets dark, that is a dream, a heavy bulky dream that is not practical and that you will need a whole week of planning just to motivate you wonder to man handle that thing out of the garage.

Two wide to flat foot the ground, and too heavy to move it around without having to get off the bike and ask for help.

So, ideally one would own three bikes, a 250cc for around town, a gold wing to go on vacation, and a 600cc intermediate for the long commute to work...

I always wanted a fun 250cc, but the I hear about all the short comings, the horrible suspensions that can even be dangerous, the buzzy engines that will keep you num from the minute you take off, the instability the minute you hop on the freeway, etc and the fact that the gap in price between a 250cc and an intermediate bike is not that much...

So this is where the middle size bikes are finding their niche as they are getting more developed. The weight of the bike is decreasing, they are just as practical as a 250cc, but with enough room not to feel cramp and be comfortable, and enough engine to sustain 75mph comfortably for long periods of time without too much buzz or fuzz. And much more affordable than a touring bike.

But still, when I compare my NC700x to my sportster, the sporty felt more nimble more practical and I was more inclined to swing a leg over the sporty before I would on the NC700.

Once rolling down the road, the NC whole handle better and felt more nimble, light clutch, better brakes and not so top heavy, the NC has no character compared to the sporty.

I loved the sound and all the vibration on the sporty, the face I was sitting on top of two big carbureted jogs, I could feel every bit of vibration, all the smells, etc. The fact it was one sitter and low to the ground.

There is something about all plastic
And storage on the NC that makes it feel more of a grandpa family vehicle then the racing roadster feeling I got from the Harley :)

Now I would had never been able to carry all the camping gear with such ease on the Harley, I would had been worried about breaking down far away from home and the comfort would not be there either.

So, now that I own the NC, it is all paid for, it is in good condition to go anywhere, instead of trading it in for a different bike, I think I would just start looking for another sporty for in town usage...

Today, I had an interview this morning, when I went to drive the Miata, there was like 3 inches of rain on the floor :(

For the last 3 days we have been bombarded work rain here in north Florida...

So, it felt good to just hop on the NC and go... The NC is so tall, it is hard to climb, but once you are up there the view is amazing, I think it is a safety feature :)

With the sportster I was so low to the ground that no one could see me and so I couldn't see too far ahead either, so, it is also nice to have a tall bike :)

Now the bike I am crazy about is the new Scout Sixty, some describe it as all that a Harley Sportster is suppose to be but is not :)

I was also very interested on the new Harley 750 Street Rod, but it doesn't look that comfy and if you join their forum, everyone is having transmission problems, the bike won't shift down...

I test rode a regular 750 street and my impression was it had the best transmission I had felt on a Harley, very smooth, positive but no clunks, so I don't know why the new Street Rod is
Having issues...

But at this point if am going to risk 9k on an American bike, it will be an Indian, they seem to have figured out better engineering then Harley...

Am just afraid the Indian won't have the same feel and sound as the Harley.

IronBunny

I can see the forward controls on the CTX being an issue, too far forward, which also changes the way you support yourself, you can no longer use yours knees, and that can create seat issues because you solely relying on your tail bone taking a jam for all the road imperfection.

I think the perfect arrangement would be something right in the middle, not too forward but not a rearset either...

BobWitte

I can see the forward controls on the CTX being an issue, too far forward, which also changes the way you support yourself, you can no longer use yours knees, and that can create seat issues because you solely relying on your tail bone taking a jam for all the road imperfection.

I think the perfect arrangement would be something right in the middle, not too forward but not a rearset either...

I needed a center peg in order to mount my CTX when it was triked, especially since I have a rider's backrest installed. Nothing I saw on any of the forums was helpful. So, I persisted in researching a solution. What I finally settled on was the following aftermarket passenger peg intended for several of the Kawasaki bikes: Foot Rest Set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Footre...27dd21f&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=152533223971

It was just enough smaller, and folded back better than the OEM pegs as to be perfect for my trike. You see, not having a mid-position peg on the CTX when triked is not an option for me, especially with my $950 Corbin seat & backrests in place. It is a must have on two counts, (1) the passenger will need it to clear the rider's back rest when getting seated. And (2) the rider with the titanium metal knees has to have a two step mounting procedure, especially to swing the defective leg over the rider's back rest as well.

I installed both sides in less than an hour and am quite happy with the results, at least from the standpoint of giving me the mid-position peg I'll need for mounting the trike the way I want.

I took it out for a quick test ride to see how the new pegs worked as another place to put one's feet on long rides. Most of the ladies and the guys like me with 30" inseams will avail themselves quite readily. The taller among us, less so. For them, the pegs will help for crossing RR tracks and washer board dirt roads, but not much more than that.

As far as the pegs getting in the way of backing up, even in their full down position, they are not in the way of one's legs when backing up. So that's a real plus for me, that's for sure.

Following is a picture for you (I can't upload more than one)....

Attachments

• MidPeg2.jpg
    MidPeg2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited: