New bike home. 2014 NOS CTX700 6 speed conventional transmission

Duffy

Picked up the new CTX700 red model today. Rode it home in a light drizzle.

I was surprised at the real motorcycle exhaust note the bike has compared to my BMW. It sounds like a motorcycle.

Pulling onto the road the bike had plenty of power for me. It accelerated well in first and the low rpm shift was probably where I would normally shift to second anyway. Second and third had plenty of reserve power. I didn't push the new bike since it is not broken in.

The footpegs and controls were definitely a little forward of what I'm used to. Had to search for them a couple times. I pulled onto the superhighway and the bike sounded and performed great. Cruising through the traffic was fun. Light traffic here in the rural mountain and river area. Back onto the streets it also was fun pulling away from lights and rolling down the back streets.

It is definitely a really nice bike. I am still curious as to how long the break in period is. It should say in the manual. I have it on the back porch and need to read it, especially the break in part.

Overall I really dig the bike and find it to be plenty powerful for my style riding, surprisingly snappy actually. And I like the six speed transmission that I have been missing for so long.

BobWitte

Picked up the new CTX700 red model today. Rode it home in a light drizzle.

I was surprised at the real motorcycle exhaust note the bike has compared to my BMW. It sounds like a motorcycle.

Pulling onto the road the bike had plenty of power for me. It accelerated well in first and the low rpm shift was probably where I would normally shift to second anyway. Second and third had plenty of reserve power. I didn't push the new bike since it is not broken in.

The footpegs and controls were definitely a little forward of what I'm used to. Had to search for them a couple times. I pulled onto the superhighway and the bike sounded and performed great. Cruising through the traffic was fun. Light traffic here in the rural mountain and river area. Back onto the streets it also was fun pulling away from lights and rolling down the back streets.

It is definitely a really nice bike. I am still curious as to how long the break in period is. It should say in the manual. I have it on the back porch and need to read it, especially the break in part.

Overall I really dig the bike and find it to be plenty powerful for my style riding, surprisingly snappy actually. And I like the six speed transmission that I have been missing for so long.

Since yours is essentially a virgin ride I would suggest that you do yourself a favor regarding the break in. Google "Motorcycle hard break-in" and do a little research on the technique before you put on too many more miles. I did this hard break in procedure on the only new bike I've ever owned and loved the results. Afterwards, riding a number of identical bikes that were broken in "normally" I was convinced I did the right thing. All of the others suffered by comparison.

Alas, I bought my 2014 when it hat 4700 miles on it and it was too late for me. Food for thought.

Duffy

I will read this. I think I did it once. It called for breaking in the bike the way that you plan to ride it.

BobWitte

I will read this. I think I did it once. It called for breaking in the bike the way that you plan to ride it.

Not really. Basically, it is a series of short bursts of high rev's with cooling off periods in between. There are several oil changes done in short intervals done long before the "first service" a 600 miles.

Duffy

Not really. Basically, it is a series of short bursts of high rev's with cooling off periods in between. There are several oil changes done in short intervals done long before the "first service" a 600 miles.

I did read the article about the bursts and oil changes and like it.

BobWitte

I did read the article about the bursts and oil changes and like it.

I was delighted with the results on my 2006 Hyosung 650, and ever so disappointed I didn't get to do the break-in on my 2014 CTX (especially since it will likely be my last motorcycle!). Good luck with whatever you choose.

Look to see if there are upper/lower level markings onthe tank. You don't want it full because if the bike overheats it needs empty space to burp hot water out, which will then be sucked back in as things cool. The water normally in the tank is probably just enough to comfortably cover the end of the hose from the radiator.