Dilemma

Sacto-Rider

I am a returning rider after 30+ years.
I have taken the California basic course a couple of times to keep the rust away.

I am interested in a couple of CTX700 models.
One is a 2014 with 6500 miles and lot of farkles. Price $6500

Other is a brand new 2014 with zero miles, never had fuel or oil added. $6000.

First one has advantages of being sorted out, farkled, and able to have a test ride.

Second one has warranty but no accessories and cannot be test ridden.

Opinions?

Thanks

I'm in SF and I just paid $4500 for a 10,000 mile DCT/fairing CTX with a tall screen, a couple of top boxes, a Corbin seat, 1-2K on some Michelin PR4 tires and a couple of years left on the extended warranty. The extra $2K on the 2014 you are looking at seems like it should represent a lot of extras.

cheers,
Michael

Steven

I paid $6500 for a 2014 with a tall shield a large top box 2 years ago with about 3k miles. The used bike is at least $1k too much regardless of the farkles. That also should include new tires and an oil change, transmission and clutch filter. The air filter and brake fluid will need to be changed at 12k miles and that is expensive unless you do it yourself. I would also suggest you check the brake pads too. I'm sure there is still some wear left, but new pads are cheap and worth doing. My stock tires only lasted about 8k miles.

Don't forget that the new model will have prep charges included to the price.

ofdave

you don't mention the model
from the prices, I'm guessing faired versions with DCT as naked ones can be had for much less. In fact '15s can be had for 6 thou.
Agree with Steven-the used one is overpriced a lot and the new one is a decent but not great price.
At 3 years old it's time to change the brake fluid on both actually-maybe the new one could get by another year. That should be done every 2 years.
Let us know where you are, someone may know of a bike in your area.
Oh, I see it's your first post.
So Welcome aboard!