Passenger footboard question

rickster

I have the Kuryakyn floorboards on the front of my CTX, but would now like to replace the passenger pegs with boards for my wife. I'm looking at the Kuryakyn 8818 adapters and the Kuryakyn 4393 premium boards to match the ones with chrome up front. Unlike my front boards that have built in foldability, the 4393's don't fold by themselves. My question is, will the 8818 adapter allow the boards to fold up and out of the way when not in use? Will they stay folded up as I ride or will gravity pull them back down?
If you have experience with this, I'd sure appreciate your help before I push the order button...

burdicda

Passenger Mini running boards
Splines p/n# 8818 won't install fold backable...
If you do they won't fold up and stay up so why bother..and they are flopping all over the place
I installed them with parts that come with the splines to lock them rigid always down...
Just beware with them installed using center hole on running boards they will partially obstruct full vertical
access to center stand lever...either get used to the difference or mount them on the far left hole to give
yourself a little more vertical clearance...they are beautiful and very functional.

Also if you install the Tutoro chain oiler it's best to install them rigid down also...because if they did fold up
they will hit the reservoir that holds the oil.

Just my experience...

Last edited:

rickster

Passenger Mini running boards
Splines p/n# 8818 won't install fold backable...
If you do they won't fold up and stay up so why bother..and they are flopping all over the place
I installed them with parts that come with the splines to lock them rigid always down...
Just beware with them installed using center hole on running boards they will partially obstruct full vertical
access to center stand lever...either get used to the difference or mount them on the far left hole to give
yourself a little more vertical clearance...they are beautiful and very functional.

Also if you install the Tutoro chain oiler it's best to install them rigid down also...because if they did fold up
they will hit the reservoir that holds the oil.

Just my experience...

Thanks! That's exactly the information that I was looking for!!! Interesting that you mention the Tuturo Oiler...I hate dealing with the chain on long, multi-day trips and have had my eye on that too...

Steven

I don't have the oiler but I found a better way to oil the chain. I have the dct and I put the bike on the center stand and put the bike in drive. The tire spins fast enough, but not real fast. I just stand behind the bike and spray the chain as it turns. It's fast, easy and less messy.

rickster

Update... I installed the mini-boards. They look great and my wife says that she can relax her legs more than she could when her feet were on the pegs. The 8818 adapters are pretty cool in that they allow you to lock down the footboard so that it is rigid or you can let it be floppy. I secured the right side floorboard and let the left side to float freely because I had just installed a centerstand and based on what Burdicda said above, I didn't want the two to interfere with each other. Oh, I also wanted to use the center mounting hole on the footboard so that my wife would have more foot placement options. It works great...the free floating board wants to stay in the proper down position, but when I need to access the center stand, I just nudge it aside with my leg. So, now I have a more comfortable pillion (always a good thing) and I can more easily maintain my chain when on long tours with the new stand. The CTX really is a nice mid-weight tourer, whether riding solo or two-up and I'm still asking why Honda didn't put a center stand on a touring bike with a chain as final drive. But, that's just me being grumpy.