I bit the bullet on a riding jacket.

Steven

I've been riding the last couple of days with temps around low to mid 30's. My coat is more for Fall weather but I layer up, but it's still not enough to stay warm and cozy at those lower temps. It works well enough for short rides, let's say around 10 miles, but for longer rides, I needed more, too much wind get's through. I bought a Pilot Trans Urban jacket (used) for $80. Hopefully it will be in good enough shape and actually fit. The reviews on these coats are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJMOIZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought some mittens from Menards which also work better than insulated gloves, but I needed just a little more so I bought some glove liners. That should make all the difference in the world. I had already installed hand wind deflectors on the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYXDX60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now all I need is something for my legs and I should be good to go.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is because I want to go to Utah this year in cooler weather and during that time of the year it seems that day temps are very nice, but the evening temps can get into the 30's.

Since I'm going to be off the beaten path I'm also going to get a couple of gas cans for my saddles bags. I've never needed extra gas on my trips out west before, but there was one time I was almost out of gas. If I had made any side trips I would have been. The park was 108 miles across and I had used ethanol (first time ever) and my mileage had dropped considerably.

https://www.amazon.com/REDA-Innovat...484593036&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+gas+cans

I also bought a battery jumper (GOOLOO lithium). Strange thing though... It lost it's charge over the time frame of a week so I notified the company and they sent me a new one, not the same model, but the next step down. They didn't ask for the old one back, but since then I've recharged the old one and it seems to be holding a charge just fine. Go figure! Now I have two. I'll just monitor them and charge them on my trip.

Here's the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Porta...srs=10967282011&ie=UTF8&qid=1484592533&sr=8-8

Here's the one they sent: https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Portable-Starter-Battery-Booster/dp/B017LIE842

The strange thing is that although they are different sizes, the cases they come in are about the same size.

Last edited:

ofdave

looks like you'll be good to go
The jacket looks good, what color is yours?
the glove liners are on my amazon list, that's a good price-they are more if they're motorcycle specific; good find!

Steven

Dave, I got the beige one (used), they claim it was in very good condition, we'll see. As long as it's functional with no tears and doesn't have coffee stains all over it, I'm good with it considering the price.

Steven

There was a time when I'd hit the road with the clothes on my back and a few dollars in my wallet. I've spent so much money on stuff so I can take a trip, I won't have any money to take a trip. What's happened to me?

Woodswoman

I remember when my "gear" consisted of a half helmet, hardware store safety glasses, gardening gloves and a long-sleeve cotton jacket.

As the years rolled by, and I kept moving to bigger and bigger machines, I kept upgrading my gear to match. Plus I just think that, over time, I became more aware of exactly how fast I was traveling, and how little was between my skin and the road.

These days, this is how I roll.

Steven

Dave, I got the gloves (large) and they fit perfect. They look small but stretch and they feel slightly snug, not tight. I guess my hands are on the big side, as is my head and my feet, (not kidding), and I was worried they wouldn't fit. I didn't wear them long but they feel like I would forget I had them on after a while. Next time I order from Amazon I think I'm going to pick up another pair.

Steven

Just FYI, I received my "used" jacket from Amazon and as far as I can tell it's brand new. It still has the original tags on it including the warranty. It's very heavy and looks very durable. Once on it doesn't feel that heavy, but it is very stiff, but comfortable. Reviewers say it will soften up after a time. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. There are vents from the shoulders to the elbows and that should work very well considering that I get a good amount of wind there, apparently I'm wide, a little too wide for my windshield. There's another vent on the back of the jacket that goes across the shoulders. Plus, it has an inner liner for wind and rain.

So far, it's $80 well spent. I'm going to take a test ride and let you know if anyone is interested.

Steven

Back from the ride and I've come to realize that a riding jackets purpose is mainly protection and less about climate control. I had to learn somehow.

It was 40 degrees, high humidity, and the wind was blowing from the north. I know that's not very cold, but at least I can get the idea. In comparison to what I normally wear, a light jacket with a little insulation and a few layers, the riding jacket was better with cravats. I wore a t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt under the jacket, normally I also wear a thick sweater, but left it off for this test. My arms were much warmer than my normal jacket, but the inner liner of the jacket was pressed against the outside of my thin shirts and I could easily feel the cold coming off of the liner through my shirts. It wasn't the wind but rather more of a direct transfer of the liner and the shirts. I believe my sweater would have made all the difference. The Jacket does not have any insulation. I think I could have ridden like this all day, but since I didn't it's just a guess. I was warm enough.

I could also feel the cold more at higher speeds so that told me that air was coming through the jacket cooling the inner liner more. I suppose that it could be considered a good thing in warmer weather and with the liner removed. For my likes, I think 75 degrees would be the warmest weather I would ride with this jacket. I think it depends more on humidity rather then temperature.

In terms of comfort, while riding I didn't even notice I was wearing it, there was no binding, but I did notice that if I moved my arms far back it would get a little tight in the shoulders, but I don't normally do that. Lastly I didn't notice the weight until I took the jacket off.

As for protection, it all seems to be there. The padding has some give to it so there is a little cushion.

As for my new glove liners... perfect! They did just what I expected them to do.

When I read reviews of different things it's hard to tell what's real. Some people want to have you believe that something is perfect in every way, but it's only by trying myself that I can tell what the truth is. I hope this has helped some people.

randy1149

Steven, thanks for the great review of the jacket. That's a VERY nice jacket and for 80 bucks? That's a steal my friend.

Have you ever thought of an inner heated vest or jacket? With that new jacket and a heated vest you'd be ready for a very large temperature range? I find with my heated jacket keeping my core warm I don't need anything else for my legs and feet. Keeping your core warm your body doesn't cut off blood to your extremities. Heated grips keeps the hands warm without any heavy gloves.

Enjoy your new jacket.

MJC

Super Moderator