A new motorcycle crash study

Woodswoman

Here's an article of interest about a new motorcycle crash study ...

http://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ed-about-how-and-why-we-crash-our-motorcycles

... and here is the 20-page study itself.

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/msf100_2016/Risk_Factors_From_MSF_100_Study_Paper.pdf

I found it interesting reading. Not having taken statistics in school, I won't comment on whether the data were crunched appropriately.

But the part where it seems we riders may tend to not leave enough following distance between ourselves and other vehicles doesn't surprise me. I have to fight against it all the time in city traffic; it fits with my personal observations.

So does the part indicating that intersections are risky.

And so does the part that concludes that gravel sucks.

Merlin III

I read that study and the article. I have read quite a few articles this year of van and truck drivers doing maneuvers that cause MC accidents that are very much equally the fault of the MC rider who is riding closely behind or to the side of the truck and can't be seen by the truck driver.

My personal unscientific observation is that the single biggest cause of accidents, especially MC accidents, is speed. If you are going fast, it is that much harder for other vehicle drivers to see and to react to you once they do see you. The same goes for the MC rider.

randy1149

I don't think you'll get much disagreement on too close and too fast as MC involved in accidents. However MC's are lagging in the electronics for safety. Blind passing, collision control as an example and yes anti lock brakes should be mandatory on all MC's. Although the programming must be modified to fit MC's that should not be an obstacles from cars. On the whole the industry hasn't advanced MC safety as much as the hardware and safety advanced in the car industry. Me thinks money is what's driving this issue.

And a Happy New Year to all my geriatric angels riding friends.

MJC

Super Moderator
randy1149 "...Happy New Year to all my geriatric angels riding friends."

HAPPY NEW YEAR. from a member of the Whitebeard Crew. (geriatric angel I maybe but it just sounds like I am too old, besides I do have a whitebeard...and I have never been called a angel...lol)

Steven

I generally leave a great deal of room between me and the vehicle ahead of me, more if I'm sight seeing. I do the same when driving my car and it has served me well over the years. I also keep an eye on the traffic behind me especially when stopped at a light. After almost getting hit be a truck using the center turn lane for a third lane which I didn't see because of the other traffic that had stopped to let me through, I decided that another good safety measure was to always make sure I can see the other traffic before proceeding. I know that is what people/I normally do, but in this case, I assumed that people were driving the way they were supposed to and it almost got me. Once is too much.

Anyway, Happy New year back at cha....

BTW, Why do I always feel like I'm preaching to the choir every time I post here? :)

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Anyway, Happy New year back at cha....

BTW, Why do I always feel like I'm preaching to the choir every time I post here? :)

Maybe because most of us who are more or less active on this forum aren't new to the sport.

Happy, healthy New Year, Steven and everyone!

randy1149

randy1149 "...Happy New Year to all my geriatric angels riding friends."

HAPPY NEW YEAR. from a member of the Whitebeard Crew. (geriatric angel I maybe but it just sounds like I am too old, besides I do have a whitebeard...and I have never been called a angel...lol)

mjc as the legacy in and of itself time has awarded to you an honorable Magna Cum Lauda membership Geriatric Angelical without the option of vacate by the choice of action Whitebeard Crew member may apply or not.

So you see... In other words we're not just old farts... we can even fart dust too!

Last edited: