Electrical add ons

Steven

Last night I installed a power port and a USB port in the fairing. I also installed a battery tender cable to the battery. The 12v power port and the battery tender cable I connected directly to the battery (both fused) and the USB port I connected to the switched outlet. The downside of connecting power port to the battery is that any device connected to it may drain the battery when the bike is off so

In retrospec, Unless you're going to add some oem Honda accessory like the power port for the glove box, there is no reason to buy the pigtail that Honda sells for the switched power, even then you could do without it. Basically, there is a 18 gauge wire coming from the fuse box to the switched power connector. The connector has provisions for a number of wires, but Honda only uses two of those. The pig tail has only two wires coming out of it and then they splice 4 pairs of wires onto those wires and add connectors. It's a total waste of money. If I had known this I would have just cut the switched power connector off and soldered wires to the wire from the fuse box., adding my own quick connects to each wire.

I bought a Dynaplug Mini Pro air pump to take with me on the bike. It's small enough ( There are smaller air pumps) and has mostly very good reviews. It has a lit built in air gauge and a light. Both of these would be good if you ever find yourself needing them at night. Also, it only pulls 4.5 amps while in use. I tested the pump using the battery tender cable and the 12 volt power outlet and it works fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRS2Y0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 473Dynaplug.jpg

I also bought a USB power tester to test what I have so that I don't blow the 7.5 amp fuse going to the switched power outlet. I did test my tablet and my camera battery and together they pulled 1.5 amps, so I don't think I'll have any problems. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301973361419?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 474Ebay USB power tester.jpg

Last edited:

randy1149

A single USB port by definition only supplies a max of 5 amps so it should not blow the 7.5A supply. But it's good to have one of those USB volt/amp meter, I have one also.

Steven

I didn't know that. I'm going to put another one in my trunk and perhaps split off of that. In any case, I don't think it will be too much. I don't know why the pictures didn't show in my post.

randy1149

I put a 12V female aux receptacle in my trunk as it has more options from just a USB power receptacle. Insert a USB plug into it if I want USB while still having a regular 12V plug option also.

Steven

Randy, I installed two ports, a 12v power port and a USB port, one on each side of the fairing. I'm going to add another port inside my trunk. At this point, I'm not sure if that third port should be a 12v port and use a USB adapter or just a USB port to keep things small. My GPS is mounted directly to the battery and at this point I have little need for the ports on the dash, but things change. I'm thinking that perhaps I can plug my video camera into the dash to extend it's battery life while I'm going down the road. Anyway I had the bike apart and figured that it was a good time to add these ports in case I ever need them.

BTW, I've left the GPS on the bike over night (but off) and the bike starts fine in the morning. That's fine while it's parked in the garage, but I would never leave it on the bike if I were on the road.

I was also thinking of getting a voltage display adapter to plug into the 12v socket on the dash. It would be nice to be able to see if the battery is getting weak since this bike cannot be push started if the battery goes bad. I would prefer a permanent voltage gauge, but there isn't much room on the dash.

Last edited:

randy1149

Steven, I purchased a 12V meter I plug in the aux receptacle when riding and the receptacle is not being used to power anything. I also leave it in when putting the bike away and when using the battery tender to let's me know what's happening. Here's the meter I finally settled on. METER It's not pretty but it works well. I went thru 4 or 5 LED units that either failed and or you can not see the numbers in day light. It's my experience only LCD.s work and can be read in full day light. But that's everybody's choice.

Last edited:

Steven

I already own two of INNOVA's meters (multi and car), they are decent meters at a decent price. The one you have ( Innova 3721) seems about the same quality, which is good. Perfect! I'm going to order one. Thank you.