2016 CTX700 DCT ABS 600 mile oil change

troup1998

What else will they do, outside of the oil change?

The dealer says it will take 2 hours @ $98/hour + about $75 in parts.

I bought the $660 bumper to bumper 5 year warranty. If all they are doing is an oil change then I think this is really really expensive? I can do an oil change but I wanted to make sure I follow all the rules for the warranty.

Last edited:

randy1149

Basically it's a $250 oil change. Everything else is inspecting which is itemized in the owners manual and you can do yourself. Some people do it just to CTA ( cover their ass) in case they have a problem in the future.

If you have a good dealer and won't try and pull the old 600 mile void the warranty trap on you you can do it yourself. Legally it doesn't matter who does it as long as it's done. So at the end of the day you should do the maintenance anyway and if you do it yourself just keep all the oil & filter receipts.

Steven

As far as I can tell, they change the oil and filters, both engine and clutch plus check a few other things. They should be easily be able to do this under an hour, On the other hand, I believe I've heard other owners tell about being charged the same price. I also read in the manual that (if you do it yourself) all parts must be Honda parts for the warranty to be honored. Here's the maintenance schedule, you can see what they do (inspect). One word of caution... Many members have had a dickens of a time getting the oil filter off at the 600 mile service. Something like this may be your best bet at removing it. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adju...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Randy, what are you doing up at this time of the night?

CTX700 maintenance schedual.jpg

Last edited:

troup1998

Thanks, since I bought the warranty, I'll just go ahead and have them do it. But, I'll make sure they change the Clutch Filter along with the Engine Oil filter.

Last edited:

Merlin III

Photo copy the sheet that Steven posted from your manual and properly label it as the 600 mile maintenance sheet. Check off all the items under the 600 mile maintenance as you perform them. Attach your receipts for oil and filters and that should cover you. Getting the engine filter off the first time is a bear. The factory way over torques it for some unknown reason. I personally think this is the best tool out there. "That other guy" was right on this one. :)

It works with your ratchet. The more resistance to movement as you crank the ratchet handle, the tighter the grip becomes.
Wrench.jpg

Merlin III

Thanks, since I bought the warranty, I'll just go ahead and have them do it. But, I'll make sure they change the Clutch Filter along with the Engine Oil filter.
I don't really know if it is true, but some knowledgeable people (hundreds that I know of) have publicly said that there is Federal law in existence that theoretically prevents manufacturers from voiding warranties because qualified owners performed the service. However, try suing Honda.

ofdave

I don't really know if it is true, but some knowledgeable people (hundreds that I know of) have publicly said that there is Federal law in existence that theoretically prevents manufacturers from voiding warranties because qualified owners performed the service. However, try suing Honda.

it's the "Magnuson-Moss Act"
The manufacturer cannot requires their specific product (brand) be used to keep a warranty in effect.
Nor can they dishonor a warranty if the work is not performed by them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act