Givi/kappa E21 bags

ofdave

burdicda asked me recently about how I mounted my E-21 bags.
I got Kappa but Givi E 21s are the same, from
Tour and Ride" Could not find the Kappa on the site but found the Givi. Mine were about 180 shipped so if you are looking you should shop around ttp://tourandride.com/cases-and-acc...e-cases-detail
He asked how I mounted them and I promised pics and am posting them here. I made brackets to mount to the bike from sheet aluminum I had (an old yield sign). I got the bag specific mounts used on another forum as they are not available for the CTX. The ones I got were for a Triumph or something and came with arms welded as a part of them. Since the arms don't match anything on the CTX, I cut them off leaving the oval rings you see bolted to my home made mounts. The bag specific brackets can get pricey. Twisted Throttle may sell just the rings, they did at one time. Once I called them and got two brackets (a left and right) from their junk room. One was for a Yamaha and one was for a BMW. I didn't care because then, as now, I cut the arms off and made my own mounts for the bike.
I really like the bags. They are the right size in my opinion and are waterproof and lockable, easy to take off for cleaning or carrying into a motel. Bags are hard plastic or polymer and the frames and brackets are painted with Rustoleum Bedliner which looks like powder coat and is really tough.
Here are some picsP1010436.jpgP1010569.jpgP1010571.jpg

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Nice work. I like that they fit close to the bike, I have seen some that where way out there...

Merlin III

Other than making your own brackets, which I don't have the tools to do, what is available for brackets or complete side case systems other than JCF's bracket system. Does anyone have a photo of JCF's brackets? I know Shad has a complete system,but their customer service is claimed by many to be atrocious. I am guessing that this Winter I will get side cases and do some serious touring next year.

ofdave

there was a guy selling a pair of brackets for these bags on the other place
his pics were good and maybe you could get some made (I don't see a hundred bucks in making them)
his (and mine) are very similar to jfc's
the key (to me) is the Givi mount-I don't like the idea of bolting the bags on although many have done it with no problems.

Merlin III

Thank you Woods Woman. They are well made and would certainly do the job for soft luggage. I didn't realize, although it makes sense, that hard luggage would have to be bolted on.

ofdave

Thank you Woods Woman. They are well made and would certainly do the job for soft luggage. I didn't realize, although it makes sense, that hard luggage would have to be bolted on.

you could get the Givi bag mounts and attach them to those brackets-that's essentially what I did when I made my own.
That results in easy removal and no holes in the bags

randy1149

Givi mount-I don't like the idea of bolting the bags on although many have done it with no problems.

I agree A LOT on easy removal. That was the reason that tipped the scales on purchasing the Honda bags. It's not only nice when you travel but more than that when you do any kind of maintenance on the rear of the bike being able to easy easy off takes the bags off the PITA I have to get thru to do the primary reason I'm doing the job.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

JMHO, these would be overkill as supports for soft bags. For soft bags, the "closet rod mod" that a genius on the other forum dreamed up is the cat's meow.

I admit that I miss having quick-release bags. When I heard that Shad was going to come out with quick-release luggage for our bikes, I waited eagerly! Then I saw the end result, the SH-36 bags, and said, "That's just too weird-looking."

So I bought JFC's brackets and a set of EDGE semi-hard locking bags ... and of course, bolts.

Last edited:

Merlin III

JMHO, these would be overkill as supports for soft bags. For soft bags, the "closet rod mod" that a genius on the other forum dreamed up is the cat's meow.

I admit that I miss having quick-release bags. When I heard that Shad was going to come out with quick-release luggage for our bikes, I waited eagerly! Then I saw the end result, the SH-36 bags, and said, "That's just too weird-looking."

So I bought JFC's brackets and a set of EDGE semi-hard locking bags ... and of course, bolts.

No, you are correct. My reaction was a gut reaction to the novel idea of bolting luggage to the rack. If you have soft internal bags, like I have left over from my BMW, you would simply carry those into the hotel or campground. No big deal.

Woodswoman

Oh yeah ... saddlebag liners are wonderful to have. I've got a set that went with the LeatherLyke bags I had on my Vulcan 1500. I can use them with these EDGE bags provided I don't stuff them quite full. LeatherLykes are a smidgen bigger.