Reflective tape

Brad

Okay, I have a CTX700 full faring (red cos it's fast) with OEM saddle bags.

I have two rolls of reflective tape: one black reflects white, and one red.

From a safety aspect where would you put reflective tape on your CTX to maximize visibility?

(I do have a third roll of white reflective tape, but I'm saving that for my helmets which are both white.)

ofdave

since the bag bottoms are black, applying the tape on the black part means ti won't show much.
I surmise you have the tape that's black until light shines on it?
For sure a couple vertical on the rear maybe 2 red and one white
and on the sides maybe one of each, red on top
or, start with a red on top and bring it from the inside nearest the fender around the back and forward on the sides at a slight angle with two red and one white

randy1149

I put some red & white reflex tape on the bottom of the saddle bags so the cagers "should" see me better?

Attachments

• Reflection Tape.jpg
    Reflection Tape.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 161

randy1149

I've seen people putting strips on the aux side panels like the one below... I do like it. But afraid I might damage the finish if I have to take it off for whatever reason.

Attachments

• SB Strips.jpg
    SB Strips.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 155

Brad

Yeah I think I'll keep it off the paint. I might put some on the frame, black on black won't be noticed until a headlight hits it.

ofdave

@randy
thanks
took off the kappa decals and traced their outline on DOT reflective tape
put the white and red together in the size I wanted and traced the stock decal then cut with a razor blade
put the two strips (red & white) on and one last bit of trimming
would have done larger but going larger than the recess in the bag would have looked awkward, I think

randy1149

ofdave, looks like you cut to the right side, any larger and it would look gaudy. They're not overbearing where they command your eyes attention.

troup1998

Randy, I want those same sidebags; I think, assuming they are a good size/fit. How big are they? Where do you get them in blue? I've seen where you can buy red panels, but not blue ones.

randy1149

Randy, I want those same sidebags; I think, assuming they are a good size/fit. How big are they? Where do you get them in blue? I've seen where you can buy red panels, but not blue ones.

Those are Honda's OEM saddle bags. Shop around for prices but Procaliber has good prices and free shipping. You'll also need the saddlebag stays. They are not the biggest or the best, but they easily remove to carry with the same key as the ignition, and you don't need to fabricate your own mounts.

The blue side panels at BikeBandit.com Blue Side Panel Part No. 08F70-MJF-A00YA . Free shipping also.

Read my thread on installing the panels... you need to drill a bigger hole than in the instructions.

Last edited:

troup1998

Thanks, just to make sure I've got this right.

To get the Saddlebag set, 29 liters. I have to buy the saddlebag stay. But, the product description on the Saddlebags says I need both the Saddlebag stay and inner support. Is that correct?

http://www.procaliber.com/oemcatalo...t_2014_ctx700_dct_abs/honda_accessories-cargo

$419.96 Saddlebag set. Is this 2 saddlebags?
$159.96 Saddlebag stay Is this 2 stays, one for each side?
$71.96 Inner support bracket I assume only 1 is needed, correct? or is this 2?
$107.95 Side panel Is this for one or 2? http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=08F70-MJF-A00YA&qt=search

I already purchased these 3 items off amazon, $195. carrier rack, back rest and backrest bracket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH5F3Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think the saddlebags will work with what I've purchased?

Thank you, Mike

randy1149

Thanks, just to make sure I've got this right.

To get the Saddlebag set, 29 liters. I have to buy the saddlebag stay. But, the product description on the Saddlebags says I need both the Saddlebag stay and inner support. Is that correct? No See Below.

http://www.procaliber.com/oemcatalo...t_2014_ctx700_dct_abs/honda_accessories-cargo

$419.96 Saddlebag set. Is this 2 saddlebags? Yes
$159.96 Saddlebag stay Is this 2 stays, one for each side? Yes
$71.96 Inner support bracket I assume only 1 is needed, correct? or is this 2?
With the CTX700D you already have the supports, so DON'T order them,
$107.95 Side panel Is this for one or 2? http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=08F70-MJF-A00YA&qt=search
The side panels come in pairs, so order just 1 item only.

I already purchased these 3 items off amazon, $195. carrier rack, back rest and backrest bracket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH5F3Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think the saddlebags will work with what I've purchased? Yes

Thank you, Mike

With the above information you should be good to go. All items come in pairs and you don't need the support. They already come on your bike.

FYI, The back rest prohibits the installation of a top box. Most top boxes function as a back rest also, so keep that in mind. A top box is a very convenient addition to this bike. Box around 43 Liters and above will store 2 helmets, something that's not provided with this bike. The box mounts to the carriage rack you ordered, the top box on my bike (see photo at beginning of thread)was less than $100. Think about it?

P.S. Remember about installation of the side covers. You WILL have to make the hole in the middle bigger on the panel that attaches the panel to the SB. Do that FIRST before you apply the double sided tape that's on the panels. The panel will NOT fit right if you don't make the hole bigger.

Last edited:

ofdave

@troup1998
you don't need to buy the inner supports, the are already on your bike-they are what the grab handles mount to
that means you can install the bag brackets without removing the rear side panels

troup1998

Fantastic, just ordered from ProCaliber.com. I put the entire order in last night; then they sent me an email stating I had not finished and gave me a Promo code for 5% off. Saved me $29.

@Randy1149 I spent last night looking around for the best prices; ebay,amazon,etc ProCaliber was much better. Saddlebags with Stay OTD $550.92

@ofdave, thanks I was a little concerned when I looked at the instructions. This will be much easier. I've been known to have left over parts whenever I take things apart:)

Actually, I have a top case from my scooter; the carrier rack is why I ordered the 3 part setup on amazon. It's not pretty but gets the job done(for now). One week of backpack wearing in the FL heat is enough. But, I can fill up the top case quickly; computer bag, workout clothes, rain gear, helmet(when not riding). The scooter had much more cargo area, but we're resolving that now.

y'all are a great help! I would not have known about Procaliber and would have ordered the inner support when I didn't need it.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: