So do I need a bigger bike?

BigO1987

Went riding with a group of riders and most said I need a bigger bike. That 700ccs is small for big rides. They were on adventure bikes...bmw, Ducati, Yamaha and some big cruisers. A large group. I was able to keep up with them fine.

Is bigger better? Do I need a bigger engine for big rides? A bigger tank is a definite need. Why do people believe this? I hear this a lot.

I will likely get another bike in a year or two....a nice adventure bike. But the CTX works pretty good for me right now.

Woodswoman

My 2 cents: "Need" a bigger bike isn't for your buddies to say, as long as you kept up with them without struggling.

If those 700 CCs were being displaced by a v-twin engine, then yes, they'd be kinda puny. However, the CTX's engine is a parallel twin, which is generally more efficient than a v-twin.

If a 700 CC motor were too small, why would BMW have one in its lineup? Why would all the sport bike manufacturers have similar sized motors in their machines?

The CTX's gas tank would be too small but for the fact that the bike gets 60+ miles per gallon. If it sucked gas like a Sportster, then the peanut tank wouldn't do for longer trips.

You said what needs to be said to your friends, IMO: "The CTX works pretty good for me right now."

MJC

Super Moderator
What kind of riding group is this? I ride with groups all the time and lead many rides on my CTX700. This is the smallest bike cc wise I had in a long time but can out ride many in the group if I wanted too. A riding group should ride only has fast has the slowest bike or rider of his/her bike can go safely. The group should stay under the speed limit or not more then 5 over. The ctx700 can do that just fine. What you may have in your group is too many wantabe racers who will put the group in danger to show how fast their big bike can go, if that is the case you need a new group not a new bike. I ride with a group where we ride in a lay back enjoying the road kind of way, and in other group where it is understand that we will be going faster in turns (still or at the speed limit) and maybe 10 miles over where we can. The 2nd group is made up of older guys with years of riding, fast bikes, and we go to track days together. We ride in small packs of 3-4 bikes in full gear, in total control of your bikes at all times. We do not put yourself or anyone in the group in danger. Now if you are riding in a group like the 1st one and some are behaving like they are in the 2nd group, get out! If you are talking about group riding on long trips or highways for days, then you and a few of the Ducati guys may need new bikes. But you said they are on Adventure bikes, so I do not see them taken chances on paved roads at speed, and would think (has many motorcycle mags/reviewers have said) slow and in control on dirt gavel is a good thing, and a bigger bike would not help you there. If you plan on doing adventure riding then trade your bike in now has the ctx700 is not the model for that at all, the Africa twin or the NC700X are fine for that.
Here is a link to cycle worlds review, http://www.cycleworld.com/2016-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-adventure-bike-road-test-motorcycle-review
Just may 2 cents has I do not want you to get hurt riding with a group doing the wrong thing for its members.

randy1149

I'll add my 2 cents also. The CTX700 will do from a keeping up performance perspective probably better than the group you ride in the twisting back roads. On a highway the CTX700 will hold it's own. Where the bigger bikes exceed is the comfort features they offer. The 900 lb. Goldwing I had with it's amenities like fairing, windshield protection, cruise control there's no comparison to the CTX700. But the CTX has no problem of keeping up and it's 1/3 the price. From a touring perspective the bigger bikes offer a more comfortable ride. As far as a larger the gas tank Woodswoman hit the nail with 60+ MPG on the CTX.

Having said that IMHO I think Honda has made a lot of future buyers with the CTX700. It's a platform begging to be evolved into a 1200-1300cc DCT bike with belt drive, and some more comfort amenities as mentioned above. And Honda please don't get off the target with low profile and low seat as a must... there's a lot of us 26" inseams out there.

Steven

I like to watch a fellow on youtube that tours on a 250cc adventure bike. His latest trip was from South Carolina to Prudhoe bay Alaska. He used to do it on a BMW 1200 adventure bike (I believe) but he has more fun on the 250. I also read about a 70 year old woman that toured South America on the same bike.

If it's about power, the CTX has more than enough to keep up with any bike at legal limits. The only reason to go with a bigger bike is comfort, but there is a down side. In a straight line, they are okay, but in the curves and in town, the CTX is the better bike. It's just easier to ride.

Years ago I use to ride a liter bike and I thought it was perfect, until I road my friends 550cc. The 550 made my bike feel like driving a large truck (in comparison) when negotiating curves.

The point is that there is always a trade off. I've thought about a bigger bike and I would be happy with it on the Interstate, but eventually I'd have to get off and then I would much prefer the CTX. The longest trip I've taken on the CTX was about 400 miles and that was a piece of cake. It was comfortable enough and with a RDL seat, I imagine that a 1000 mile trip in one day down the Interstate would be comfortable. BTW, the fellow I mentioned that tours on a 250cc has a RDL seat on it.

The bottom line is that it's always a personal choice and each person likes what they like. I think your riding buddies are underestimating the CTX on looks alone.

burdicda

This guy circumnavigated the entire planet 5 times mostly on a KLR 650.....hehehe
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gregfrazier/

I traded in an immaculate goldwing vintage one on my ctx700....I admit to this day that if I was going to color in all 49 states I would probably buy a new F6B goldwing but then again maybe I'd try it on my CTX700....

BigO1987

I plan on keeping my CTX and buying an adventure bike in a few years as a second bike. The CTX, as all have said, is easy and fun to ride. With all my mods....plug for my Corbin seat....it is pretty cush.

The fellows that I have gone riding are just bike snobs. It is what it is.

The other thing about the CTX is that it is a simple design and thus less stuff to break down. It is reliable. I know it will run when I push the start switch. People with a KTM.....not so much��

I look forward to see what Honda does with the dct in the next few years. It is a winner, imo.

Steven

Adventure bikes are very interesting to me, but there's nowhere to ride one around here. If I did get one, it would have to be a smaller lighter one which would be better off road than the larger ones. The people that owns these seem to be having the most fun riding. :)

Shanghai Dan

Nah, you don't need a bigger bike UNLESS you're always at (or above) the weight limit AND doing a lot of miles up and down mountains.

Having ridden massive amounts in the past (I'm down now, just 2000 miles a month!), on a 650 and a 500, the big bikes really aren't required. And yes, I've had big bikes, too (and burdicda, I am waiting for the 2017 F6B to come out, that very well may be my next ride). A solid 700cc is plenty big for touring.

Big ride: 85,000 km in 2 years, South America. Did Vina del Mar, Chile to the southern side of the Panama canal, back down the East coast of South America to Tierra del Fuego, then back, in just 6 weeks. That was on my 650 V Strom. Never a problem, even over Ticlio Pass in Peru, almost 16,000 feet high - three times Denver. Got a WICKED altitude sickness headache on that one! But the 650 was still pulling - weakly, mind you, but still had guts to get up and go even with just half of sea level atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:

mschaub

No, you don't

I have two bikes. The CTX700N and a Street Glide. I bought the Honda as my "jump and go" motorcycle, but with it's abilities I ride with others of every description. If I need the two up ability and comfort/luggage, I ride the Harley.

Merlin III

Nah, you don't need a bigger bike UNLESS you're always at (or above) the weight limit AND doing a lot of miles up and down mountains.

Having ridden massive amounts in the past (I'm down now, just 2000 miles a month!), on a 650 and a 500, the big bikes really aren't required. And yes, I've had big bikes, too (and burdicda, I am waiting for the 2017 F6B to come out, that very well may be my next ride). A solid 700cc is plenty big for touring.

Big ride: 85,000 km in 2 years, South America. Did Vina del Mar, Chile to the southern side of the Panama canal, back down the East coast of South America to Tierra del Fuego, then back, in just 6 weeks. That was on my 650 V Strom. Never a problem, even over Ticlio Pass in Peru, almost 16,000 feet high - three times Denver. Got a WICKED altitude sickness headache on that one! But the 650 was still pulling - weakly, mind you, but still had guts to get up and go even with just half of sea level atmospheric pressure.
You can do just about any trip with any size bike. The Wee Strom is a proven performer. I still think that a bike like a BMW R1200GS is the best all round bike out there if you are experienced, young, and strong. For the rest of us doing day to day riding within 100 miles of home, the CTX is a great bike. I have taken a 800 mile trips on highways and the CTX has done well. Only thing missing is the ability for rapid acceleration when needed and functionality on gravel roads.

Merlin III

I have two bikes. The CTX700N and a Street Glide. I bought the Honda as my "jump and go" motorcycle, but with it's abilities I ride with others of every description. If I need the two up ability and comfort/luggage, I ride the Harley.
Good picks! We all should have 2 or 3 bikes for different circumstances. :)

Downshifter

what is the description of a big ride??? I have a friend that has always said, a well ridden 250 will blow away any average ridden liter sport bike in the twisties, and he constantly proves it running up and down Deals Gap. I agree that the group you were riding with are bike snobs, as that is the only explanation to their statements. I recently was on a ride from NY to Ohio, and my CTX was never the reason we had to make any stops or slow downs, especially a gas stop. On the way home from Ohio, I took off on my own, and made the 650 plus mile trip in 10.5 hours. Not once did the CTX falter or complain. I have been doing this ride every year for 13 years now until now it was on a Valkyrie. The CTX beat the Valkyries record time home by one whole hour, and the only difference I noticed is that I did experience more wind on the CTX, and the total cost for gas was much cheaper with the CTX. The moral of this story is that the damned little CTX is more bike then it appears to be...

Jim.....

Brad

It sounds like you and the CTX are just fine as long as the bike fits you and you are comfortable. If I was driving the super-slab for long rides I might want something heavier and more leg room, but for most other riding the 700 has more than enough power.

rickster

I'm late to this thread by about a year...but, I want to add my due centessimi for those, who like me found this group recently.
Whether you "need" a bigger bike or not depends on your use and expectations. If you need a bike to carry more weight, give you room for really large luggage systems, or if you are not comfortable on your CTX for the length of time that you plan to be sitting on it, well, maybe you should start shopping.
My experience with the CTX is very positive regarding touring. That said, the critical part, the comfort part had to be modified with (in my case) a Corbin seat and Kuryakyn floorboards. But now, it's all good...my wife and I tour together on my CTX and have done tours of up to 1,200 miles on the California coast and the passes of California's Sierra Nevada. It has enough power for the both of us. I also have Mutazu bags on the bike and a Bestem top box to haul our gear. We have to be careful how we pack, but we're pretty minimalist when it comes to what we take, so we could tour forever with the way the bike is set up.
We did a short 3 day tour around Mt. Lassen last summer and encountered a couple with a Goldwing who were pulling a trailer. They were really happy to have all of their camping gear, cooking gear, and several changes of clothes each. They had brought a bunch of books too. They had exactly the bike they needed. My wife and I who stay in motels when we tour and don't need all of the things that the nice young Goldwing couple brought, have exactly the bike we need too.

Steven

Yep, when you stay in motels you don't need to bring much. I can't afford that so I bought camping gear. One problem I had was getting a sleeping bag. Most of the down bags were too confining so I went with synthetic which doesn't pack down so well. It will be a lot of luggage but it will work out. My new seat will be built in a couple of months and with a few more dodads I'll be ready to go.

You're right, the perfect sized bike depends on a persons needs.

BobWitte

what is the description of a big ride??? ...<Snip>.... The moral of this story is that the damned little CTX is more bike then it appears to be...

Jim.....

Jim: I smile to myself whenever friend or foe of the CTX calls it "little."

My motorcycle love affair began in 1956 and I had my first bike by Aug. 1957. JSYK, in those days, if the CTX existed then, it would have been considered a superbike, not a "little" cruiser.

Granted, there's a lot bigger beef in the herd these days to overshadow it now. I've owned a 1200cc Sportster and an 80ci FLH police cruiser plus a half dozen smaller bikes. And to my mind, the CTX700 is the best of the lot.

I expect that it will be in my garage on the day I die.:)

randy1149

I do miss the radio, cruise control, self cancelling, belt/shaft drive... etc of the big bikes I had... but not the 900 lbs.