Opt 7 H4 LED Headlight

Steven

I though I'd share what the Opt 7 H4 LED headlight beam looks like, if anyone is thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Motorcy...=1471955231&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+led+h4

The Pictures show the low beam and then the high beam. It appears to be mostly bluish white and is a lot brighter than the oem light. Because of the camera, I would say that the picture looks brighter (and bluer) than it actually is. At least you can see the light color and the beam pattern. There is one problem and that is that it doesn't come with anything to seal the light in the socket from the weather, but I'm going to look into that while by bike is apart. You will also notice that the beam is a little splotchy in spots, but that doesn't seem to detract from it's good points. I've gotten used to it and it's fine. The other things are that the beam is wider than oem and whiter and brighter so it's a lot easier to be seen by oncoming traffic which is a safety feature to me. I'm not saying this is the best light, only that is what I have.

DSC09831-1.jpgDSC09832-1.jpg

Last edited:

casper

Do you have driving lights on it too steven? I have no idea how the OEM lights up the road. I haven't taken it out at night yet!

Steven

I don't have driving lights. I was happy with the oem brights, but the dims weren't that good. IMO. I do like the LED lamps.

Steven

I got to thinking about driving lights and I don't see any real need for them, at least for me, but what would be nice is to have them pointing more sideways to light up the side of the road during a turn, some cars do that.

casper

My low beam seems pretty bright to me even in the daytime. I'll have to try them at night. I asked if you had the DL because your side road seemed pretty well lit up. Love to see the OEM lows and hi's on side by side with the led's.

Steven

Sometimes at night and especially out of town I'll see two bikes coming towards me. Often one of their headlights looks dim and yellow and the other one is bright and white. I also notice this with cars. Under those circumstances it's easy to see the difference. On hot humid days I often ride at night out in the country. It's a big difference. The pictures I showed makes the light look blue, but that's the camera, the light actually looks white. I should have fixed that before I posted the pictures. Anyway, the light pattern with the LED lamps is wider because of the way the LED sits in the housing, it is longer than the oem and so not as focused forwards, hence the wide side pattern. The oem bright seems to shine a little further down the road (especially at reflective road signs) compared to the LED bright, but the LED is brighter at it's shorter distance. As for the brights, I'm not sure which I like better, they both have their good points, but I do have to admit that I was able to clearly see a deer along side the road one on one of my night rides with the LED. All in all, I think the LEDs are better.

Watch this video, but start it at about 9 minutes in. That's pretty much how I actually see the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wgS1QsZ7cY

Last edited:

Shanghai Dan

I really like my OPT7 - it was a serious upgrade over stock. With the angel eyes and the switchback front turn/marker lights (white when marker, flashing yellow when turning) I have a LOT of white light on the front, it really stands out. The OPT7 is highly recommended, definitely a serious upgrade over the stock unit, and a super easy upgrade.

I do have driving lights, but only use them sparingly, typically when riding at night up the Pacific Coast Highway. It's dark, nearly zero traffic, and it's nice to have the extra punch on the dark coast!

I also have a Kisan headlight modulator with the LED option. It only flashes during the day, and only when I turn on the high beams. Ninety percent of the time it's off; I turn it on when I'm going to lane split - and it really, really works.