Bike down for Maintenance...

Steven

A week ago or so I thought I heard some valves clacking and then the other night I heard what sounded like a little misfiring going on so I decided it was time to adjust the valves (This is at about 14k miles). I figured that it would also be a good time to change the air filter, add some electrical circuits, and to send the forks in for an upgrade. I should note that (I'm assuming) the valves being a little out of adjustment did not effect the gas miliage. I have been getting a steady 65 mpg.

Removing the body panels was a chore because it was my first time and I was unsure of myself. I have already replaced the air filter with a K&N and barring any problems, I'll get to the valves today. BTW, the old air filter didn't look too bad. I was expecting worse since I have gone down a bunch of gravel roads. I'll update as I go along.

DSC09908-1.jpgDSC09911-1.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

I'm not sure because I kept going back to the house and doing other things, but if I had to guess, perhaps 2 hours, but I didn't know what I was doing. I suppose that someone who had done this before could do it in an hour or less.

I did check the valves and two of them were on the edge or maybe a little over, I only have so many sized feeler gauges. I adjusted all of them to spec, I like symmetry, besides I needed the practice. I'm not in a big hurry and when I put everything back together I want to be sure it's correct. The spark plugs looked like they were burning the fuel correctly, color wise. I buttoned the motor back up and tomorrow I'm going put the radiator back on. I need to order the pig tail for the electrical and then I'm going to look into sealing the headlamp.

I'm already missing riding it.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
How does the air get into the air filter box? Could you take some close up photos? I was thinking if I removed that air filter box maybe I could make room for more gas, by adding on to the tank or a small new tank added where that air filter box is. Just thinking out loud but photos would help me understand how it all works. thanks.

Steven

Here's a picture of the air box from the top. The snorkel is in the front. Also note the air temp sensor on the left attached to that top of the air box.

DSC09961-1.jpg

In the second picture you can see where the top of the air box attaches to the base (there's a screw there). The actual filter sits in the bottom of the air box. The top is all plenum.

DSC09962-1.jpg

In the third photo you can see under the tank... There's not much room if you need to change the starter motor.

DSC09965-1.jpg

I can't say for sure, but I believe that the air box supports the top on the tank plastics.

I'll leave it up to you to what you think.

MJC

Super Moderator
thanks for your time and adding the photos. to me it still is hard to understand but i am getting a better idea how things work. thanks.

Steven

mjc, if your purpose is to get longer range without refilling, then enlarging the tank is the only way to go, but if your purpose is to have a backup in case you run out of gas there are other options. There's plenty of ways to carry extra gas safely, I just wouldn't use the same type of container that you use for your lawnmower. I've traveled a bit and unless you're out west, I've never not been able to get to a gas station. I do remember one park out west that was 108 miles across with no gas stations.

I'm thinking about a couple of these. http://www.reda-innovations.com/#!reda-gas-can-tech-button/c24eh
721-352_E.jpg

I have Viking bags and these should fit in the odd shape of them... Realistically, they hold about 3/4 of a gallon and that would give me about 50 miles more range. I also like the idea of them being double protected by the saddle bags in case of a crash. There are other options, this is just a thought.

1111.jpg

MJC

Super Moderator
mjc, if your purpose is to get longer range without refilling, then enlarging the tank is the only way to go, but if your purpose is to have a backup in case you run out of gas there are other options. There's plenty of ways to carry extra gas safely, I just wouldn't use the same type of container that you use for your lawnmower. I've traveled a bit and unless you're out west, I've never not been able to get to a gas station. I do remember one park out west that was 108 miles across with no gas stations.

I'm thinking about a couple of these. http://www.reda-innovations.com/#!reda-gas-can-tech-button/c24eh
View attachment 325

I have Viking bags and these should fit in the odd shape of them... Realistically, they hold about 3/4 of a gallon and that would give me about 50 miles more range. I also like the idea of them being double protected by the saddle bags in case of a crash. There are other options, this is just a thought.

View attachment 326

Nice idea but not for me, I have stock bags and they are small and I do not want the cans taking up room. I was only thinking after I saw your photos that this would be a great time to ask for photos of the air box for a better understanding of how it works, and I thank you for the photos. I am looking for ideas on making the gas tank bigger, I am not sure what I will do yet or how, still thinking out-loud. I kinda ride my bike and start thinking of things to make it better for me. I just finished working on air/wind deflectors for the lower part of the windshield, front of bike by rad and under the headlight and along the frame under the fake tank. After 1K miles of designing them, they are done. Now I am looking at working on the top 3/4's of the windshield and finishing my seat. Over the winter may work on air filter, gas storage making tank bigger. I have a way of taking things and changing them just because, lol.

Merlin III

I just have to say that I have run out of gas twice on one trip through Canada. Gas stations spaced pretty far apart and then just as you need one, it is closed down. Long distance travel through very sparsely populated areas demands that you have contingency plans. On trips, I always carry a siphon in my tank bag.

Steven

thanks for your time and adding the photos. to me it still is hard to understand but i am getting a better idea how things work. thanks.

Is there anything else I can do while I have the bike apart? It's no bother.

If I had the naked version of the bike I could see removing the side panels and possibly extending the tank sideways. If you removed the air chamber and replaced it with a K&N round filter, that might give you more room in front. Of course some other things would have to be moved around. Basically you would have a tank like on a bike that didn't have any plastic. Anything is possible, but that is beyond my capabilities.

Nice idea but not for me, I have stock bags and they are small and I do not want the cans taking up room. I was only thinking after I saw your photos that this would be a great time to ask for photos of the air box for a better understanding of how it works, and I thank you for the photos. I am looking for ideas on making the gas tank bigger, I am not sure what I will do yet or how, still thinking out-loud. I kinda ride my bike and start thinking of things to make it better for me. I just finished working on air/wind deflectors for the lower part of the windshield, front of bike by rad and under the headlight and along the frame under the fake tank. After 1K miles of designing them, they are done. Now I am looking at working on the top 3/4's of the windshield and finishing my seat. Over the winter may work on air filter, gas storage making tank bigger. I have a way of taking things and changing them just because, lol.

I would love to hear about and see some pictures of your wind deflectors.

I was thinking about adding foam to the seat and shaping it more like Woodswomans Russel Day Long seat. I really like her RDL seat, but it's very expensive. Her seat has a metal brace that I can't duplicate but possibly making something shaped like the Corbin seat, but with better foam might be doable. I'm still in the thinking stages for this...

Steven

I just have to say that I have run out of gas twice on one trip through Canada. Gas stations spaced pretty far apart and then just as you need one, it is closed down. Long distance travel through very sparsely populated areas demands that you have contingency plans. On trips, I always carry a siphon in my tank bag.

That sounds like a good idea.

MJC

Super Moderator
Is there anything else I can do while I have the bike apart? It's no bother.

If I had the naked version of the bike I could see removing the side panels and possibly extending the tank sideways. If you removed the air chamber and replaced it with a K&N round filter, that might give you more room in front. Of course some other things would have to be moved around. Basically you would have a tank like on a bike that didn't have any plastic. Anything is possible, but that is beyond my capabilities.

I would love to hear about and see some pictures of your wind deflectors.

I was thinking about adding foam to the seat and shaping it more like Woodswomans Russel Day Long seat. I really like her RDL seat, but it's very expensive. Her seat has a metal brace that I can't duplicate but possibly making something shaped like the Corbin seat, but with better foam might be doable. I'm still in the thinking stages for this...

Sorry I just read this, I will start a new tread on the wind deflectors.

Steven

It's been extremely hot and humid and raining a lot around here so I stopped working on the bike. I hate humidity! Anyway today I put the radiator back on. Taking it on and off is the simplest thing to do after you do it once. The valves too. I took it for a ride and it seems smoother and more responsive. Don't forget that I also installed a K&N air filter. A long time ago I installed a K&N on a car I had and it seemed more responsive with less throttle. The CTX feels that way too. I'm not saying that it's any quicker, just that it responds quicker with less throttle. Is it in my head??? Anyway. the valves sounded different. Kinds of reminds me of a sewing machine. Years ago a local guy used to adjust the valves on the Honda 750 and those valves sounded the same way. He had a reputation for getting the most out of those 750's. Oh, it also seems a little smoother at low speeds.

Okay, now I'm going to get the saddle bags installed and order the electric parts I need. Then I'm going to send the forks off for an upgrade.