Driver's back rests

Woodswoman

What have you done, or are you thinking of doing, to add a driver's back rest to your bike? (I'm thinking here of ideas other than buying a Corbin or similar seat that can be gotten with a backrest on it.)

Just curious. I often wish I had a backrest, and may send my Day-Long seat back to Russell Cycles this winter to have one added. But more thrifty ideas are always interesting. ;)

Merlin III

What have you done, or are you thinking of doing, to add a driver's back rest to your bike? (I'm thinking here of ideas other than buying a Corbin or similar seat that can be gotten with a backrest on it.)

Just curious. I often wish I had a backrest, and may send my Day-Long seat back to Russell Cycles this winter to have one added. But more thrifty ideas are always interesting. ;)

This is my solution to long rides and a sore back, and it really works, but I know it isn't for everyone. With my top case, the rigidity of the Wolfman bag is even greater :)
CTX700.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

Attachments

• czr_14_large.jpg
    czr_14_large.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

Woodswoman

First bike rally to which I ever rode Flicker, this was how I packed. (Pre-saddlebags, as you see.)

Boom, instant back rest. But, boy, did I struggle getting on and off!

MJC

Super Moderator
DSCF3669.jpg this is what i did, made a backrest. 1st i re-did my seat then added the backrest.

Steven

Merlin, I bought hand guards which are a little different the Woodswoman's and they are a mixed blessing. They certainly keep my hands drier and warmer, but the downside is that when it's hot, There's no wind to cool my hands. Also the ones I bought make it a little harder to use the bars to get on and off the bike. Once they're installed it easy enough to take them on and off with a screwdriver. I think I'll leave mine off until it get's cold, or I'm on a long trip, or if I suspect rain. Under those conditions, they are really nice to have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19174076608...49&var=490760467862&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Woodswoman

Merlin, my handguards are WingShields, by Brukus Bikes. (www.brukus.com) They're the metric version. Had them on my Victory (in fact, if you look at the photos on Brukus's web site, that's my Cross Roads!), and they transferred nicely to my Honda. They mount on the mirror stems, and do what I feel is a very satisfactory job protecting my knuckles from bugs, rocks, etc. And when riding in the rain, the protection is a big help. For the record, though, they don't really keep my hands warm in cold weather.

Steven, the bag I have on my pillion seat in the above photo is a 'Goldwing' trunk bag, by Nelson-Rigg. Leftover from my days riding a Burgman. It's very capacious, and extremely well built. But it's a struggle for me to get on and off the bike when I have the 'Goldwing' bag strapped across the back seat. I scratched my gas tank up quite a bit doing the awkward throw-my-leg-over-and-hop-on/hop-off dance.

Last edited:

burdicda

First bike rally to which I ever rode Flicker, this was how I packed. (Pre-saddlebags, as you see.)

Boom, instant back rest. But, boy, did I struggle getting on and off!

Is that luggage with a back rest on one side ?? and what, where, how much, and from who....?? hehehe

Woodswoman

No, not so. That's a Nelson Rigg "Goldwing trunk" bag. Intended to strap on top the luggage rack of a 'Wing or Harley Ultra rear trunk. I bought it as a pillion seat bag on my Suzuki Burgman scooters. It's so large that it's pretty awkward to use on my CTX.

What looks in this photo like a lumbar support is actually just a map pocket with some stuff in it.

mtvic

Just had my seat reworked with multiple layers of aeronautic memory foam locally. Added a Utopia

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_102027.jpg
    IMG_20170803_102027.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 353

Mister Hand

Woodswoman, I had mine installed by a local manufacturer here called "Rich's Seats." Before that, if you recall, I used a set up similar to yours. Mine was a lot junkier however and I got tired of the trashy look. A few things about the backrest. It really helps that it pivots so that it can kind of move with me when I straighten my back while riding. Also, having it be adjustable backwards and forwards and up and down is a great help. I currently have the backrest positioned so that it pushes me to the front of the seat where I have a particular kind of control of the bike that I like. In particular, it allows me to put pressure against the pegs by holding my hips firmly in place against the backrest to push against. This communication with the pegs enhances my control even more. Having the backrest also prevents me from hitting a sharp bump and being thrown backward. There's always a risk (I've seen it happen!) that if you're thrown backward like that, you'll grab the handlebars and accidentally twist the accellerator. Uh oh. I'm too young to die.
-Tony (MisterHand)