Report on new shock ans front fork emulatorss

BigO1987

This was a hefty investment, but I plan on keeping my CTX for a long time. So far I have to say these mods have changed my bike. It is a different bike. The ride comfort has really improved to my liking. I would say 60-70% improvement. The front forks got new racetech springs that match my weight and the emulalators. It seems a bit stiffer but not that much. The real surprise to me was how much it improved handling. That was a SUBSTANTIAL improvement. I really noticed that. Also, I got the Penske shock without the reservoir for low/high compression adjustment.

I went on a 50 mile ride to test it out. Went on some bad roads to test it out. So far so good.

Will look at adjusting after more riding.

Will update again after more riding.

randy1149

This was a hefty investment, but I plan on keeping my CTX for a long time. So far I have to say these mods have changed my bike. It is a different bike. The ride comfort has really improved to my liking. I would say 60-70% improvement. The front forks got new racetech springs that match my weight and the emulalators. It seems a bit stiffer but not that much. The real surprise to me was how much it improved handling. That was a SUBSTANTIAL improvement. I really noticed that. Also, I got the Penske shock without the reservoir for low/high compression adjustment.

I went on a 50 mile ride to test it out. Went on some bad roads to test it out. So far so good.

Will look at adjusting after more riding.

Will update again after more riding.

The handling must be phenomenal consider how well these bike handle out of the box. Ride comfort is probably one of the short comings on this bike. Honda could improve it with a better shock? Even the way it takes to get at the stock kinda shows how much Honda gave the attention to the rear suspension... a good enough approach. Let's us now how things go as you adjust the suspension changes.

Steven

Big01987 - I'm very interested in how this goes, especially the cartridge emulators. I'm sure the others would like to know about the rear shock too. I already have the shock.

Personally (at my weight) the front (stock suspension) is very smooth on slower rise bumps, but about locks up on faster rise bumps. When that happens the front end just bounces. When braking fast, the front end compresses but doesn't bottom out, but then I've never hit a sharp bump while braking. I'm really curious about the handling aspect of it you mentioned. Please let me know how it handles different kind of bumps. Thanks.

As for the rear Penske shock, it has done wonders on a great many different kind of road surfaces and is very smooth. There are still some kind of bumps that it could be better on, mostly short sharp rises and dips are still a problem, but I continue to adjust the shock to see what I can do. In any case, overall it's a big improvement. I've kind of learned that shocks at whatever setting you give them work best on a specific kind of bump so having it handle all the different kinds of bumps is asking a great deal of it. BTW, many of the secondary roads in Illinois have gotten sort of bad lately so I have a good testing grounds. :)

Thanks again.

Woodswoman

I'm also following this, with interest. The suspension is one of this bike's largest short-comings. (Mind you, this isn't a high-end machine, so I am not blaming Honda.) I'd love to be able to improve upon the suspension, as I am figuring I will be owning this bike for a number of years more.

BigO1987

The handling must be phenomenal consider how well these bike handle out of the box. Ride comfort is probably one of the short comings on this bike. Honda could improve it with a better shock? Even the way it takes to get at the stock kinda shows how much Honda gave the attention to the rear suspension... a good enough approach. Let's us now how things go as you adjust the suspension changes.

Imo, the handling was adequate before the mods. Everything about the bike is adequate. I have changed so many things about it that if Honda would have included, it would be much more. I might have gone overboard on mods. It fits my needs, is really fun to ride and I plan on keeping it long term.

My mechanic thought the oem shock was very basic and done to keep price down. Honda could have done better, but cost was a factor.

I will go for another ride today on a variety of roads to get a better feel for it. But as to my initial thoughts on handling......it corners much better and handles much better at higher speeds. This and with also better ride comfort makes the ride a lot better then before. It really has changed the bike. With some fine tuning, I will get it perfect...for me.

This was one of my more pricey mods, but it was worth it. The semi expensive mod that gave me most payoff was the Corbin seat, imo. I really love it, more now that it seems broken in.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

I know what you mean about the seat. The best mod money I've spent to date on my bike was getting my seat rebuilt by Russell Cycles. Truthfully, that improved the ride quality quite a lot, at least for me. Goodbye, rear end pain.

But you've got me really thinking about this suspension upgrade.

Steven

I'm looking forward to the RDL seat myself. Your review and every review I've read has been positive. Between the seat and the shocks I'm hoping to be riding a Cadillac that handles like a sport bike. When I go on a ride, I want the bike to be the last thing on my mind, if you understand my meaning.

Merlin III

The shock change was very significant (still working on it though). As I was just thinking as I read the new posts today, I really don't remember the riding characteristics of the original stock shock. The new benchmark is how the bike rides today. Me thinks this is possibly turning into a personality disorder on my part in my searching for the perfect ride which of course is unobtainable on a 500 pound motorcycle. LOL

I have never focused on the original seat, but you Ladies and Gentlemen are moving me in that direction, after all, the seat is an integral part of any suspension system.

Steven

I got to thinking that those big Harley's must ride pretty well (They do look comfortable), but a little search on the net brought up many complaints about the ride, and many complaints about the seats. Even Goldwing riders are upgrading their suspension and their seats. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems every bike, regardless of size, has issues.

The other day I watched a Harley (with a passenger) pull into Lowe's and I noticed that the back tire actually came off the ground when going over the bump into the parking lot. Maybe I go slower, but I never realized there was a bump there.

It's easy to think that everyone else has it better, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. When I think back at my other bikes, there were times when I had to stand on the pegs because of bumps. I can't do that with the CTX so the suspension has to be better. This is compounded by the fact that I am much heavier now.

On most roads, the Penske has made a huge leap in comfort. I often look down at the road while I'm riding and am amazed at how bad the road is, but I barely feel it. With the sag set correctly on the oem shock, the ride was very good, but when it got rough, the oem would have a rough time, so much so that I would have to slow down. With the Penske I don't have to slow down and often the road feels just fine. It seems the Penske (at least for now) won't make all roads glass smooth, but it does go a long way to towards that end and it's only when I encounter fast rise (short duration) bumps that it seems to not work as well, but then it does take a great deal of the jolt out of them. Usually by then, the front end is bouncing on the pavement. It's odd too that at times, the front end is bouncing, but the rear is taking it in stride. Merlin - This is stuff you already know so I apologize for that...

Enter the Russel Day Long Seat...

People can argue about the “best “ seat, but the one thing that seems to remain constant on all the sites is that the RDL seat is “by far” the most comfortable seat on the market. As Woodswoman pointed out in one of her blogs, the RDL provides a certain amount of cushion over bumps and becomes part of the suspension (more or less). I'm paraphrasing of course... What that means to me is that on the bumps that the Penske has trouble with, the RDL should take up the slack to remove even more of the jolt. I will be getting a RDL so we'll see...

After Big01987's report on the cartridge emulator, I have high hopes towards getting the bike to stop bouncing (on the front). Ideally, the best possible ride would be when the bike stays level and doesn't move up or down and where the suspension is doing all of the work. That isn't entirely possible so the goal is to get as near to that ideal as possible.

I'm going on faith, but I believe that these “improvements” can make the CTX one of the best riding bikes on the road.

I've more to say but I'm going to put that in a separate post, under this one.

Steven

This is just a thought...

When I see large bikes going down the road I often imagine that they ride like a Cadillac compared to the CTX. Everything I read seems to indicate that that isn't necessarily true. I suppose that in way, it could be true, but on many roads, the CTX does a really good job at providing a decent ride.

Assuming that “with suspension upgrades” the CTX can be made to be “ride like a Cadillac, why would anyone want a larger bike, besides having more power?

Of course having more room and more farkels are a couple of reasons, but in terms of ride control I think there is another reason...

I noticed that when I first rode the CTX on the Interstate, it seemed that the steering was too quick and so I had concentrate more to keep it going straight. After I got used to the bike I realized that it pretty much takes care of itself with minimal rider input. I learned to relax and minimize my steering input and ever since the bike is rock solid at any speed.

This leads me to ponder (yep, I ponder and ponder often :) )why people often like bigger bikes. Here's what I think... With their longer rake and trail, they feel more stable when going in a straight line. It takes more rider input to get them to respond so they are naturally more forgiving to over control (man handling), hence they feel more stable.

I used to drive a semi and drive a Honda Accord. When I would get home from going over the road I could barley drive the Honda on the highway because the steering was just too quick and too sensitive compared to the truck. After I got used to it again, the car was easier to drive. However, when I would get back in the semi, it felt slow responding and I had to really turn the wheel to get it to turn. After a while the truck seemed easier to drive. I would go back and forth like this every time I switched vehicles.

Just saying...

Last edited:

Woodswoman

When I see large bikes going down the road I often imagine that they ride like a Cadillac compared to the CTX. Everything I read seems to indicate that that isn't necessarily true. I suppose that in way, it could be true, but on many roads, the CTX does a really good job at providing a decent ride.

My 2 cents: The CTX rides very, very well for a mid-sized motorcycle. Whatever steering geometry the Honda people put into it gives it an extremely compliant and well-planted ride. I remember being amazed the first time I took Flicker out on the interstate.

But the stock suspension, IMO, is just "meh." I was used to better from the much larger bikes I had previously. I have to ride on a lot of sub-par roads where I live, and so having good suspension matters to me. I'm already wondering what shop I can get to install the new shock and cartridge emulators for me. (That would be well beyond my very modest skills with a wrench.)

Steven

I was hoping to hear the other side, Thanks. It makes sense that when you have more sprung weight that the ride should improve. Still, there is a trade off and that is slower handling. On the other hand, suspension plays a big role for different road conditions. I learned this many years ago when I had my Kawasaki 750 which I was riding off road. It had a hard time handling many of the bumps. I bought a dirt bike and it literally soaked up those bumps that the 750 couldn't handle. Under those road conditions, the dirt bike had a far better ride even though it weighed half of what the 750 did.

Woodswoman - I know that what we say about the new suspension makes it sound like a miracle but the truth is that it's not, but it's definitely a big improvement on rougher roads. I still have to do the cartridge emulators, but since I've done the rear shock, I've noticed the mishandling of the front much more so that tells me something. IMO it's been money well spent, so far. I really really like the CTX for what it does well and would not trade that off for the plushest ride possible if that meant I had to give that up.

Last edited:

BigO1987

When I decided to get back into motorcyling, I test rode a number of bikes. I had no real interest in them but to test ride. At the time, I was going to get a bmw maxi scooter. I loved the idea of no shifting. Anyway, eventually picked the CTX and it was the right bike for me. Here is my list with comments:

Bmw 1200 gs...I thought the ride was excellent, handling was ok, not great, found engine a little sluggish. I loved the boxer engine in my R80 gs, but this was different. This bike was too complicated, so so reliable and too expensive. It did not wow me to be honest. I fully expected to be wowed, but no.

Bmw f800.... Not impressed. Overpriced and just not worth that type of money imo.

Ktm 1290 adventure.....great ride, just too much of a bike for me. That engine was way too much for me. I don't think I took it pass 3rd gear and that was going at my max comfort speed!!!

Old triumph bonneville...fun bike, ride very bumpy, but fun. I am sure the new version is better.

A ninja sports bike....just for fun. No thanks to that seating position. Bumpy ride. Sports bike....it is what it is.

Hd cruiser....not for me. All the typical dislikes by people all applied to me. It belonged to family friend. Ride was average.

Yamaha cruiser....big and heavy. Ride was comfortable, but no a great suspension. I could feel most bumps.

Bmw maxi scooter 2015 model. Very good ride comfort. Lots of comfort. It was a cvt engine. Not really set up for long rides. It was really close, but went with CTX. I could not really feel comfortable with not having a tank between my legs. And the price was also a factor.

CTX....Got great deal on floor, Honda is very reliable and loved the dct. I have no desire to ever go back to manual transmission. None.

So I guess my point is that a 2 wheel vehicle will never have the ride comfort of a 4 wheel vehicle. All the bikes I rode did not have the perfect ride. Some were better but the cost for those was way too much, imo, for a motorcycle.

Now if the Africa twin was available at the time I bought the CTX ...may have been different. I will pass on the Vfr1200. Well maybe the Africa twin will be my second bike in a few years!!!!

Now as to my mod....need to keep riding. Will have more feed back this weekend. Going on day ride.

Last edited:

Steven

Big01987 - I had a fellow ask me some questions that you might be able to help with concerning the emulator.

Here they are:

a) the spring used (there are two different types in the kit)
b) the adjustment setting on the nut.
c) what oil viscosity he used
d) whether he changed the fork springs, or changed the preload

I would appreciate your help, Thanks

randy1149

BigOld1987, you should be writing for a motorcycle mag... a great synopsis of the bikes you were interested.

Last edited:

BigO1987

Big01987 - I had a fellow ask me some questions that you might be able to help with concerning the emulator.

Here they are:

a) the spring used (there are two different types in the kit)
b) the adjustment setting on the nut.
c) what oil viscosity he used
d) whether he changed the fork springs, or changed the preload

I would appreciate your help, Thanks

I don't have specific answers to these questions. My mechanic did it and he is a racetech certified. He did everything to racetech specs. The new springs were by their specs per my weight and equipment on my bike. I will email him with these questions. The emulalators were adjusted to my weight per their specs. All racetech specs.

I will have a better feel for these mods this weekend. But so far I think everything is greatly improved. The front forks are stiffer then before. But the handling is much better. Not sure how much more or what to adjust or just leave it and forget it. I am fine with it right now, but I know I will tinker around with it ...just my nature.

Merlin III

When I decided to get back into motorcyling, I test rode a number of bikes. I had no real interest in them but to test ride. At the time, I was going to get a bmw maxi scooter. I loved the idea of no shifting. Anyway, eventually picked the CTX and it was the right bike for me. Here is my list with comments:

Bmw 1200 gs...I thought the ride was excellent, handling was ok, not great, found engine a little sluggish. I loved the boxer engine in my R80 gs, but this was different. This bike was too complicated, so so reliable and too expensive. It did not wow me to be honest. I fully expected to be wowed, but no.

Bmw f800.... Not impressed. Overpriced and just not worth that type of money imo.

Ktm 1290 adventure.....great ride, just too much of a bike for me. That engine was way too much for me. I don't think I took it pass 3rd gear and that was going at my max comfort speed!!!

Old triumph bonneville...fun bike, ride very bumpy, but fun. I am sure the new version is better.

A ninja sports bike....just for fun. No thanks to that seating position. Bumpy ride. Sports bike....it is what it is.

Hd cruiser....not for me. All the typical dislikes by people all applied to me. It belonged to family friend. Ride was average.

Yamaha cruiser....big and heavy. Ride was comfortable, but no a great suspension. I could feel most bumps.

Bmw maxi scooter 2015 model. Very good ride comfort. Lots of comfort. It was a cvt engine. Not really set up for long rides. It was really close, but went with CTX. I could not really feel comfortable with not having a tank between my legs. And the price was also a factor.

CTX....Got great deal on floor, Honda is very reliable and loved the dct. I have no desire to ever go back to manual transmission. None.

So I guess my point is that a 2 wheel vehicle will never have the ride comfort of a 4 wheel vehicle. All the bikes I rode did not have the perfect ride. Some were better but the cost for those was way too much, imo, for a motorcycle.

Now if the Africa twin was available at the time I bought the CTX ...may have been different. I will pass on the Vfr1200. Well maybe the Africa twin will be my second bike in a few years!!!!

Now as to my mod....need to keep riding. Will have more feed back this weekend. Going on day ride.
The whole subject is pretty subjective IMO. There a many variables in the equation of what makes a good ride. The bike suspension, the roads, and the many rider subset variables.

Over the last 10 years, I have owned a BMW F800ST, and a very fast R1150GS (among others) that had near perfect rides. They were so good that I subconsciously was lured into the mindset that all bikes rode like that. When I bought the CTX, I didn't even have suspension on the list of things to consider. It is really too bad that that most sellers and dealers won't let you take a bike for a good two hour ride before you buy it. If there is a next time for me, I am going to seriously try to find a place where I can rent the perspective bike for a day.

I am pretty okay with the CTX ride with my 900 dollar upgrade, but that was an upgrade I never expected with a bike touted with a "Comfort, Technology and eXperience sales pitch.

Steven

I don't have specific answers to these questions. My mechanic did it and he is a racetech certified. He did everything to racetech specs. The new springs were by their specs per my weight and equipment on my bike. I will email him with these questions. The emulalators were adjusted to my weight per their specs. All racetech specs.

I will have a better feel for these mods this weekend. But so far I think everything is greatly improved. The front forks are stiffer then before. But the handling is much better. Not sure how much more or what to adjust or just leave it and forget it. I am fine with it right now, but I know I will tinker around with it ...just my nature.

I didn't think about it before, but this is good information to have. I was looking at the manual and how to adjust it, in theory it looks simple enough but it's good to know what's been done to know what to change. Do you know if it's possible to remove the forks without taking the fairing off? In any case, I'm going to find out real soon. :)

I was hoping for a more plush ride than what you said you're experiencing, but to me the most important thing is how it handles sharp rise bumps.

Merlin III

For those who replaced the rear shock with an aftermarket shock, what did you do with the old shock? Mine is still sitting in the garage and it is time to do some house keeping. Has anyone tried to sell it? If so, how much?