Windshield, Vents and air intake

MJC

Super Moderator
OK so I am working on Air, or how it flows, on my CTX700 with fairing model. What I have found is that the speaker vent looking things do vent air has do the vents on the dash, below the windshield. I closed (70%) of the speaker vents by installing speakers. On the vents next to the dash, I could close them by putting something over them on the side you do not see. There are vent holes next to the headlight too, they feed the vents (speaker and next to the dash) and also vent out the side of the (fake) gas tank (or whatever you call it). What I do not see is where does the air-intake (air filter) get air in from? I know where the air filter is (on top of the engine) in a box but can not see where the air in-take is. Why do I want to know this? Because I AM A SICK-O and can not leave my bike alone, I want to see how the bike will work without having these vents, and how the air flow is when they are closed. I made a cover that goes under the headlight, closing the vent holes. This cover also has a lower plate that goes below the headlight, on a angle, making the air go down (not up under the fairing and over the fake gas tank). I want to try it out but do not want to stop air from getting to the air in-take, like I said, I am a Sick-o. Any info would be helpful (not to my sickness, has you would be adding to that)..............
One thing I have found is, if you have a aftermarket windshield you do not need the vent (they say you need it but) because you already have the vents in the dash, that do the same thing. So you can save some money and not get the windshield vent.

Last edited:

Downshifter

If u have an led headlight upgrade be careful cutting off the airflow down there it is helpful in cooling the extra heat from the led...

Jim.....

Thumper

On this trip out west, when the heat really went up in the triple digits, my wife said she really noticed the difference in the vent in her windscreen. Until then, she had said she couldn't tell if it was open or not. Strange magic at work here?

Steven

If you hold your hand over the vent there is plenty of air coming through, but it's effect is very slight. I do notice it a little from time to time.