Kickstand foot

ofdave

Seems I am parking on dirt a lot when I stop while out riding.
Got tired of worrying about the foot sinking into soft ground so I made a wider foot for the kickstand.
Used a piece of aluminum from a street sign. I have a few and have made stuff from them for years, including hard bags for my V strom 650.
Just drilled two holes in the stock foot a bolted the plate on. If the bolt heads on the bottom get worn too bad, I'll just grind them off and do it again.
A very worthwhile addition if you park off pavement a lot.P1010302.jpgP1010301.jpg

ofdave

It measures 3 X 3 1/2
3" front to back-you can see the front edge is scraped a bit-next time I would mount it back a quarter inch. It scrapes when you put the stand down unless you lean a we bit to the right.
3 1/2 side to side and if you look close you can see the left outside edge is curved up a little. That's so it won't try to dig in when the weight of the bike rests on it.
Worth doing for sure.
Now all you guys will go and make some fancy a$$ version just to show me up. 's allright-mine works for me.

Steven

Hey it works and it's cheap and simple to do. If the bolt heads were counter sunk, it should last for years and years.

ofdave

Hey it works and it's cheap and simple to do. If the bolt heads were counter sunk, it should last for years and years.

hard to countersink them in material 3/32 thick.
next time I might use a thicker piece and countersink them.
On my V strom I used wood and was able to countersink them. The wood split after a while and I had to make a new one.
1/2" chunk of aluminum would do well. And stand the bike a tad taller on the stand.

Merlin III

I just added my "Big Foot". Got two 1/8" al bars, drilled three holes, semi count-sunk them, and bolted them on as a prototype. If I still like them tomorrow, I will loctite them on. They work perfectly. Any recommendations for the paint brand and shade of black?
Kickstand foot.jpg

ofdave

I just added my "Big Foot". Got two 1/8" al bars, drilled three holes, semi count-sunk them, and bolted them on as a prototype. If I still like them tomorrow, I will loctite them on. They work perfectly. Any recommendations for the paint brand and shade of black?
View attachment 183

I like Rustoleum Bed Liner spray.
Used it on the aluminum bags I made for the V strom and also for the bag brackets I made for the CTX. And used it all over on the Ural.
Some say it looks like powder coat. Nice matte finish with a tiny bit of texture. Hard finish
Otherwise just rattle can black. Paint on the edges will wear off if you park in dirt/sand.
The only time you see the bottom is when the stand is up-I don't see it when I ride!
You'll like them and you may go wider after while.

Last edited: