Left handlebar gap.

Merlin III

I just noticed that my left handlebar does not look like my right one. The right handlebar of course is also the throttle, but the left has no real additional function other than a grip. I don't believe that the gap, one inch in, was there when I got the bike, but I am not sure. I did tow the bike twice and used handlebar tie downs that may have pulled it out. I unscrewed the cap, but it looks like that will not resolve the problem.

Can anyone verify that that gap should not be there? I would hate to really get into it without instructions or a diagram.

Handle.jpg

Merlin III

Thanks Steve. My photo was at a bad angle I guess. It looks just like yours. I assume that is the way it was built? If so, why?

Steven

Don't know, but if it stays the same over time, we probably don't have anything to worry about.

randy1149

Those handlebar weights screw into the inner handlebar weight assembly. Depending on the length of the rubber grip you may be able to take up the space between handlebar weight and the grip. Just loosen the screw in the middle of the weight and turn the weight clock wise... I MEAN just loosen. The handlebar weight must still be in mechanical contact with the inner weight. Keep turning to take up the space. If all the space has already been taken up you can put an O ring(s) on the handlebar weight to take up any space. The O ring looks better than a gaping space.

Last edited:

ofdave

had to drag my butt out to the garage to see what you were talking about
Mine is the same as Merlin's.
Never noticed it before and now it will be all I see when I ride.
Thanks a lot

randy1149

Mine have very little space and I can make the weight go in and out by turning them... can't you guys? OEM grips are probably all like that, I have Oxford heated grips that are longer than the originals but perhaps your are all the way in already.

Last edited:

Thumper

Our bike is the same. Just guessing here but Honda probably used the same handlebars as on the NC700 which could fit hand guards. Saved money in manufacturing that way I'm sure.