Pain in the butt.

randy1149

My first couple of months any rides of an hour or so I got a pain in the base of my spine. A lot of other owners having the same problem. Many replaced the seat to correct the problem, along with replacing the foot pegs to floorboards. This fixed the problem for them.

As I analyzed the situation it appeared for me the angle of my legs to reach the foot pegs was causing the spine problem. In order to reach the pegs the angle forced me to sit back onto my spine. I could not lean forward to get off my spine for any length of time. It was unnatural. Yes the seat was in the equation but I did not want to increase the seat height 2"-3" inches with a Corbin seat.

So I approached the problem by bringing my feet back AND down using Kuryakyn Universal Ribbed Floorboard Gloss Black, part #4357 the 2" Kuryakyn offset adapter #8815 Splined Adapter. It was the offset adapter that put the icing on the cake... for me. Bringing my feet back and down along with a little adjustment of the handle bars placed me OFF my spine and more on my buttocks. I ride for hours now without back pain.

Like all modifications there is a compromise. If your a hard leaner around turns it easier to scrape the boards.

This worked for me, it may not work for you. Google for the best price for the ofsets.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Steven

I tend to lean forwards and haven't felt any back pain, but I would rather lean back at times. I plan on getting a Russel Day Long seat with a back rest. I feel they are superior to the Corbin ergonomically speaking. I did add floor boards, like yours, and I found that it raised my knees up. It took a while to get used to it, but I can see how it would tend to make a person sit more upright. It seems to me that your offsets would also allow your feet to be placed further forwards without hitting the brake. I've yet to drag my floorboards but I do keep that in mind when turning.

On a side note, getting a major lean out of the bike can be fun, but it's a risky thing to do, a little sand, a little gravel, or just a slippery road and your day is ruined, but that's just me, maybe old age has something to do with it.

The bracket that holds the foot pegs to the bike is pretty stout and I was thinking about having a piece of steel welded (or bolted) to it that would come from under the floor boards and around the brake (but higher) and putting foot pegs there (highway pegs). I've always had highway pegs and they are great for giving relief during a long ride.

When I used the original foot pegs it would be uncomfortable on long rides because I couldn't move my feet.

Anyway, your idea is a good one.

Merlin III

I got the long floor boards also. They are great. They even allow me to stand up on the boards while riding. They also allow you to use your legs in extreme bumpy situations.

Steven

I've got big feet and most of the time my heals are hanging off the back of the floor boards, but that doesn't seem to matter when cornering. You know what they say about men with big feet... Oh wait, that's big hands... Trump understands... :)

randy1149

I did add floor boards, like yours, and I found that it raised my knees up. It took a while to get used to it, but I can see how it would tend to make a person sit more upright. It seems to me that your offsets would also allow your feet to be placed further forwards without hitting the brake. I've yet to drag my floorboards but I do keep that in mind when turning.

I had my raised knees as you. The offset corrected that by allowing me to lower the floorboards which straightened out my knees. With the offset mounted to the peg you can turn it in a circle and that allows mounting the boards in a different up or down position and a forward/backward circular option depending on where you mount the board to the offset.

Last edited: