Independet keys for gas and saddle bags.

randy1149

Here's a way to make keys for the gas cap and Honda saddle bags. I leave one in the gas cap all the time so I don't have to use the ignition key. These keys are not electronically security type. You can get the blank keys on ebay and go to HomeDepot to cut them. They cut keys for free if you bring in the blanks. The blanks are ilco X255. After the blank is cut you'll need a knob to cut the key so the shoulder is just sticking out of the knob when inserted into it. The pix should be self explanatory. Don't leave any keys in the saddle bags, they could come loose and fall off if unlocked.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Pix 1.jpg
    Pix 1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

ofdave

nice job
have done similar, once put a key in a grease fitting on my Valkyrie-no one knew it was the key and I could leave it in all the time.
Having Kappa luggage, I don't have the luxury of one key for everything so I have to keep a bag key in the glovebox. Just don't like more than one key flopping on the switch.
Tried putting a key in a hose bib handle and then leaving it in place-it's black and looks like an adjustment knob not a key. Did not work well in the gas cap. Now will revisit a separate key like this.

randy1149

nice job
have done similar, once put a key in a grease fitting on my Valkyrie-no one knew it was the key and I could leave it in all the time.
Having Kappa luggage, I don't have the luxury of one key for everything so I have to keep a bag key in the glovebox. Just don't like more than one key flopping on the switch.
Tried putting a key in a hose bib handle and then leaving it in place-it's black and looks like an adjustment knob not a key. Did not work well in the gas cap. Now will revisit a separate key like this.
I had a Valkyrie then a Wing, hid a spare key inside the passenger floorboards on both. It was with the Wing I made up these cut keys for the storage bins and gas cap. They all worked well.
I don't have more than one key on the ignition either. I leave one of these cut key in the gas cap, no problems. I don't leave a key in the saddle bags, if the lock gets opened from bumps, the bags can fall off. I use the key from the gas cap if I need to open the bags and the ignition key is not handy.