CTX700 why does age come into it?

jonnypop

I hear a lot of people of different generations having different views on this bike and older generations seem to have much less love for this model.

Any body care to share why this might be? I have only read good reviews so far..

Trellum

I haven't observed that, but I guess the veteran riders don't like this model because it was made with the beginner rider in mind. Plus a lot people don't find cruisers attractive. I guess veteran riders don't have a lot nice things to say about this bike because the way it was marketed as well, as I said this bike is marketed as a very easy to ride bike that is perfect for both beginner riders and women. LOL. I recall someone saying this bike was perfect for women because the low gravity center and the automatic transmission... it was kinda offensive to me!

jonnypop

Wow really? haha I have not heard that one until now! A lot of school bikers hate change and they dislike anything that is not a 'Hell's angel' patent <joke>

Trellum

Lol, yeah! Actually I think there is a video review in the video section mentioning that ;) Not sure which one is it tho, but I'm sure there is a reviewer that clearly states this bike is perfect for newbies and women ;) LOL. He then lists the reasons... automatic transmission included :cool:

andrew172

Well the CTX is really designed and marketed towards newcomers to bikes due to it's, duel clutch transmission, low center of gravity, low seat height and not overly large power delivery. As for being marketed towards women specifically, I really don't think this is the case, this bike is for anyone at all.

Trellum

That's one of the things that really attract me to this bike to be honest, Andrew :) I just started riding bikes this year, so I consider myself a total newbie :) I'm looking forward to learning more about bikes and riding in general. I really like this bike, but I'm not a big fan of automatic transmissions at all. But it's really nice it offers a dual clutch transmission :) I'm really thinking of making this bike my first one <3

foxtrotguy

I hear a lot of people of different generations having different views on this bike and older generations seem to have much less love for this model.

Any body care to share why this might be? I have only read good reviews so far..

Hi Johnnypop, I guess you might say that I represent the older generation. As an 86 year old, I am a very content owner of a 2014 CTX700D motorcycle. I have about 2500 miles on the bike and hope to do some serious touring when the weather gets better. The CTX700D has replaced my VFR1200FD which I passed on to my grandson who is better suited for riding a sport bike. During a recent ride to Moss Landing, CA with my Harley rider son, he remarked on our arrival; Gee dad, you finally got a bike that fits you! I laughed an replied; Yes I have, yippee! Ride safe, Gene :)

Oivas

Hey Jonny,

That would not be limited to the age alone. Of course, the elders may have their own preferences but the fact is that even among our own friends of the same age group, there may be quite a bit of diverse choices. I mean, I love the Honda CTX, however one friend of mine wouldn't give it a second look.

That kind of sounds crazy to me. Can you imagine someone not liking the CTX and that too belonging to this generation??:confused:

andrew172

Hey Jonny,

That would not be limited to the age alone. Of course, the elders may have their own preferences but the fact is that even among our own friends of the same age group, there may be quite a bit of diverse choices. I mean, I love the Honda CTX, however one friend of mine wouldn't give it a second look.

That kind of sounds crazy to me. Can you imagine someone not liking the CTX and that too belonging to this generation??:confused:

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. As you mentioned, on person may be really into one type of bike (or one type of anything for that matter) and then another person belonging to the same demographic may like something completely different. Diversity is what makes us all so interesting after all!

vulcan

As an 86 year old, I am a very content owner of a 2014 CTX700D motorcycle. I have about 2500 miles on the bike and hope to do some serious touring when the weather gets better. The CTX700D has replaced my VFR1200FD which I passed on to my grandson who is better suited for riding a sport bike.:)

Glad to see an 86 year old still riding. I'm only 76 so it means I have another 10 years to go.
Uhoh.....I told my wife the CTX700 was my last bike. Maybe not.

novasparker

I think that it boils down to performance. Most older riders, and I did say most, are more experienced riders and have ridden larger, more powerful motorcycles for many years. When riding a bike such as this, while it is a solid motorcycle, it pales in comparison to some of the larger cruisers out there. It doesn't offer the same ride experience that the larger bikes do either. It's not knocking this bike at all, just an observation.

Stallion

The CTX700 is a favorite of the young generation and the older generation prefers more of cruiser bikes. But there are people form the older generation whom I know who do own the CTX700 and are happy riding it.

It is a matter of personal preference really.

JLC2014

I'm 68 and just purchased this model. Low center of gravity,easy handeling, confidence in the curves, plenty of torque in low rpm's. Easy to turn around in close quarters, comfortable, what's not to like. Very fun ride. I traded a 2008 Harley XL1200L on this bike after adding about $3,000 to the Harley this bike is so much more a pleasure to ride. Besides, you meet the nicest people on a Honda ! I have been riding since I was 20 and have always liked Honda, had a CX 500 a while back ant this is just as great. JLC

CB450

I'm 68, been riding since I was 22. The CTX looks like a near-perfect bike to me. More than adequate power for anything sensible, excellent handling, lots of neat tech, what's not to like?