Daytime Running Lights

Woodswoman

I recently did this simple mod to my front turn signal lights. I’ve always preferred to have a light bar on my motorcycle, to act as daytime running lights, and this was the closest and easiest equivalent on my CTX700N.

You’ll need to acquire two replacement clear plastic lenses, and two particular LED lightbulbs.

First, the lenses. These are produced for the European model of CB500, and they are compatible with the CTX700.

Right front lens, clear/light tint - Honda OEM Part # 33404-MGS-D31 -OR- Kijima Part # 217-4437
Left front lens, clear/light tint - Honda OEM Part # 33454-MGS-D31 -OR- Kijima Part # 217-4438

You will need one (1) of EACH.

I purchased mine from Webike Japan (http://japan.webike.net). I copied and pasted the above numbers into the Keyword search box to locate each part.

Next, I went to Super Bright LEDs web site (https://www.superbrightleds.com) and ordered:

1157 Switchback LED Bulb, A type - Part # 1157-AW60-SA

You will need TWO (2) of these.

A Switchback bulb will produce bright white light until you hit the turn signal button. At that point, the white LEDs turn off, and amber LEDs produce the necessary flashing. When you cancel the turn signal, the bulb will return to producing white light.

Please note that Type A 1157 Switchback bulbs are often available at auto parts stores. I bought mine online simply for personal convenience.

When I had both the new lenses and bulbs in hand, the tools I needed for installation were:
— A Phillips screwdriver
— A flat-bladed screwdriver
— Fine needle-nose pliers

Removing the stock lens cover was simple. Underneath the turn signal housing, you will see and feel a single Phillips head screw. Remove it carefully.

This screw holds in place a small metal sleeve. The sleeve hopefully will come out with the screw. If it does not, use the fine needle-nose pliers to remove it. Set both screw and sleeve aside.

Now the amber lens cover can be removed by pivoting it sideways.

You may find a slim, spaghetti-like length of rubber gasket in the channel under the lens cover. The gasket did its best to escape, repeatedly. This is where the flat-bladed screwdriver came into play. I used it to nudge the gasket back into place.

To remove the stock bulb, push it in toward its base and rotate it. (I forget whether clockwise or counter-clockwise; if I figured it out, so will you.) When loosened, remove it from the socket.

To install the new LED bulb, place it in the socket, push it into the base and rotate it into place. It will sort of lock in.

Take a moment to power on the bike and make sure the new LED bulb is working before moving to the next step. Do yourself a favor, however, and DO NOT look straight at the bare bulb!! At close range, that sucker will half blind you. If it is working, power off the bike and proceed.

Next, mount the new clear lens cover. I found this to be the only nuisanceful part of the whole little project. The new cover didn’t want to just slide into place. It took a number of tries on each side before it would fully mate up, and all the while that little spaghetti-gasket tried to slither out. I can’t recommend any special technique; I merely persisted pushing and nudging until things snugged into place.

Once the lens cover is mated properly, reinstall the metal sleeve and Phillips screw under the housing.

Repeat on the other side of the bike, and you’re done!

Or, at least I was done.

Someone with more talent and energy than I have may wish to install load resistors into the wiring to address the “fast flash” that will be introduced with the new Switchback bulbs. I decided that the “fast flash” wasn’t a big enough deal to me to merit taking my bike apart to get at the wiring.

The new daytime running lights are very bright, and cost me less than $75!

Some folks have performed similar conversions on the rear of their CTX, using the same lenses and bulbs. You may want to check your state’s regulations to find out if this is legal where you live.

Front end of bike with original amber lenses and with new clear lenses:

Here’s a video that Shanghai Dan produced, demonstrating the result of this modification. (He installed load resistors to slow the flash rate.)

https://youtu.be/YbUC0FZLJBw

Last edited:

Steven

Nice idea. I couldn't get the parts to show up on web bike. Do they add anything to night riding? They would also be nice if the head light stopped working.

Woodswoman

Nice idea. I couldn't get the parts to show up on web bike. Do they add anything to night riding? They would also be nice if the head light stopped working.

Steven, thanks for bringing up the problem.

I have updated the first post. Webike sometimes has the Honda OEM part, and sometimes they offer an aftermarket equivalent. If you try searching for the Kijima part numbers, you should have better luck; I just tested and the Kijima parts came up where the Honda parts did not. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't do any before-and-after night riding, so I can't say how much these help. The new bulbs are BRIGHT, but they are not particularly focused ... so I would not really expect them to help in the same manner as, say, bullet lights that can be aimed. However, I do believe that they will make it easier for other people to see me approaching.

Last edited:

ponydrvr

I use a solid state flasher unit instead of the load resistors. It has been in service for more than a year and there is no "fast flash" with LED bulbs. It was a "plug and play" install.

ofdave

I use a solid state flasher unit instead of the load resistors. It has been in service for more than a year and there is no "fast flash" with LED bulbs. It was a "plug and play" install.

tell me more about the flasher
where'd you get it?
just swap for stock?

ofdave

Ordered the lenses from Webbike and the bulbs from Superbright on the 4th.
Got both today! Is that awesome or what? (3 days from Japan!-takes longer to send a package here in the US)
Now to go put 'em on.

EDIT-just installed them
WOW!! Can you see me now!
Woodswoman, thanks for the good idea
only issue is removing the stock bulbs if you have big fingers-takes finesse and underbreath muttering

Last edited:

ponydrvr

tell me more about the flasher
where'd you get it?
just swap for stock?

I've slept since I bought it and aged a little but I believe it to be this unit:

s-l400.jpg

It was just a simple unplug the original and plug in the replacement. It came from eBay

Woodswoman

EDIT-just installed them
WOW!! Can you see me now!
Woodswoman, thanks for the good idea

Happy to pass this info along. I read about it elsewhere, tried it, and thought it was good to share with the group here.

Ponydrvr, ignorant question: Where is the flasher unit located on the bike, please?

Last edited: