Replaced Rear Shock

Thumper

At 61k plus miles on the CTX, the rear shock was toast! So, I used my keen search skills and found a salvaged rear shock with only 3k miles on it (I feel pretty bad for the rider that must have canned their bike so that I might get a great deal).

I am posting pics of the old shock so everyone here can see that your bike might last through rain, dirt and bad roads for at least this long! Hopefully anyway!

It was soft and TheMagster only weighs in somewhere north of 100 lbs. (she could tell me, but then she would have to kill me she said), so your actual mileage may vary.

The rubber bumper was disintegrated, and don't ask me what that spring is, but it was an internal part that just fell out.

The last pic is the new/used shock and how the rubber should look!

20161007_122216.jpg20161007_122242.jpg

Attachments

• 20161007_122038.jpg
    20161007_122038.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Merlin III

Geez, I replaced mine at around 2000 miles and put the original in the trash. What did you pay for it? The pic of the rubber bumper makes me wonder what is happening to the rubber bumpers that were cut in half with "Gonzo's mod?

Thumper

I know right? Granted, we have put a lot of miles in rain, dirt and bad roads but I've never seen one deteriorate like that one. I picked it up for $75 on ebay. Did you go with an aftermarket shock? 2k miles seems really low to replace one.

Merlin III

Sorry Thumper for not being clear. Yes, aftermarket shock. Of course I am heavier than TheMagster, and have a bad back to start with.

Thumper

Sorry to hear about the back! I completely understand though!

Couple of questions Merlin: Did you go with a Progressive or RevTech? Did you also replace your front suspension? Cost for rear shock and front (if replaced)?

I apologize if you have already posted this information but it might help me or someone else going forward, especially if I replace the front suspension (I am considering it). The frame and motor on the CTX700 appears to be solid and reliable so replacing the normal wear parts might help this bike go over 100k with no surprises on a long ride.

Thanks!

Steven

Originally I did the Gonzo mod and I did think it was much better except that rear would pogo up and down like crazy. I bought another shock off of ebay, but this time I added spacers but I didn't trim the rubber bumper. It worked much better, but still had a hard time dealing with rough pavement. It often felt like the bike was going to break over rough impacts. I then went with the Penske and never had a problem with any road conditions. I'm not saying that it smoothed out all roads, but it never exceeded the limits of it's operating envelope like the oem did. There were roads I wouldn't go down with the oem, but with the Penske, I never had a problem with any road.

This is where I got mine: http://www.computrackboston.com/Pen...justable-Honda-CTX-700-p/prs-8983-r-hoctx.htm

ofdave

Geez, I replaced mine at around 2000 miles and put the original in the trash. What did you pay for it? The pic of the rubber bumper makes me wonder what is happening to the rubber bumpers that were cut in half with "Gonzo's mod?

well thanks a lot for that comment
never gave it a thought, now I gotta go look
next time please don't post stuff like that:rolleyes: