Why did you pick the CTX700?

Steven

If everything goes right I'm going out west with my CTX. First I want a seat like Woodswoman's and a couple of upgrades and I'm good to go. I've only ridden it about 400 miles in a day just kicking around and it was perfect for that. Most of my rides are about 100 +/- 25 miles and even that seems too short. The CTX seems to fill the perfect middle ground, small when you need it to be and large enough for transcontinental rides.

Dub3

Well I guess I just have to throw in my 2 cents. I have a Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic that has been modified like a Silverado. Have ridden it over 4000 miles and decided I wanted ABS brakes and fuel injection in about the same size as the V-Star. I'm 82 and didn't want anything heavier. After searching for a while I decided that the Harley Street, Yamaha Bolt or Honda CTX were going to be my choices. Found a 2014 CTX700ND for sale by owner with 700 miles and priced at $3,600 - so I test drove it and wow did I like it's balance. Felt like it weighed 1/2 of my V-Star and handled like a dream. Didn't know at the time about DCT but loved it after only a few moments. It had a small after market windshield that does almost nothing and rides a little harsher then my V-Star (could be the riding position). Didn't know for sure if I wanted to give up my V-Star and all of it's chrome and excellent ride but the excellent handling, ABS, fuel injection, excellent instrumentation could not be resisted so I bought her. Now I have two bikes and ride both from time to time. This has given me the opportunity it realize that the CTX is by far my choice, I'll deal with the wind and harsher ride somehow. I now have my V-Star for sale.

Last edited:

goaltender

Got old!

I've been riding since 1952. Some know the drill: Cushmans, BSA's, then Harley's. Took a few years off when the kids were small, then another Harley and on to 3 Yamaha Venture Royale's. About 85,000 miles on each of those. Moved to North GA, joined a chapter of GWRRA and switched to a 1500 Wing. Made the mistake of testing an 1800. Had to have it. Got an '02, rode it for ten years till wife quit riding. As I got older, I found I was having trouble reaching the ground.
Got a Yamaha TMAX scooter. Loved it. Sport bike in scooter clothing. Couldn't reach the ground. Saw the seat height on the CTX, bought one without riding it. It's a nice little bike with a few (to me) drawbacks. After a Wing, it's pretty bare bones. If you are like me, limited funds make it hard to fix the perceived shortcomings. Storage, suspension and wind management are my problems.
As I slowly add fixes, I know I will be happy with this bike. As I said, out of the box it needs some tweaking. At this point I'm enjoying the handling in the twisties due to the fact that I still, at 81, like to drag things on the ground.

MJC

Super Moderator
I've been riding since 1952. Some know the drill: Cushmans, BSA's, then Harley's. Took a few years off when the kids were small, then another Harley and on to 3 Yamaha Venture Royale's. About 85,000 miles on each of those. Moved to North GA, joined a chapter of GWRRA and switched to a 1500 Wing. Made the mistake of testing an 1800. Had to have it. Got an '02, rode it for ten years till wife quit riding. As I got older, I found I was having trouble reaching the ground.
Got a Yamaha TMAX scooter. Loved it. Sport bike in scooter clothing. Couldn't reach the ground. Saw the seat height on the CTX, bought one without riding it. It's a nice little bike with a few (to me) drawbacks. After a Wing, it's pretty bare bones. If you are like me, limited funds make it hard to fix the perceived shortcomings. Storage, suspension and wind management are my problems.
As I slowly add fixes, I know I will be happy with this bike. As I said, out of the box it needs some tweaking. At this point I'm enjoying the handling in the twisties due to the fact that I still, at 81, like to drag things on the ground.

Good for you, still riding! Welcome to the forum.

Steven

That's quite a career in riding. I think many people here are older, I'm 66. The CTX does handle quite well. I'm sure you already know but the CTX has a good amount of oversteer. At first I thought this was a flaw in the bikes design, but I finally realized it's what make it so responsive in handling. After riding it for a year I found that it feels more stable when accelerating through a curve rather than just cruising through it. I've gotten rather fond of that, it makes for great fun. I'm not much of a peg scraper, at least not any more or should I say not at higher speeds. Did you get the DCT or the fared version?

I've upgraded the suspension (I had too - I'm too heavy for the bike) and added floorboards, windshields and storage. I'm also in the process of adding some electrical improvements. There's at least one other member here that has already done all this along with some improved wind management on the fared model. btw, Michelin Road Pilot 4 tires seem to work well on the CTX.

ponydrvr

For me it was real simple - 1. Honda reputation ; 2. Honda reliability; 3. Researched Total Cost of Ownership over 100,00 miles vs Yamaha vs Suzuki; 4. I liked the looks better; 5. The local Honda dealership owner is a friend and runs a good shop.

I'm very comfortable with the decision and have made every modification to support long range touring and improve the comfort.