Modifying the CTX700 for occasional gravel riding

Woodswoman

I've noticed a couple of posts from people who have put radiator guards on their CTX1300s. I'm kinda jealous of the number of aftermarket parts that were made for that bike!

Not sure that there's a car tire that *would* fit the CTX700.

ofdave

A radiator guard would be nice. I made one from a in-box desk wire mesh basket from wallyworld. Took it off as it didn't look the way I wanted.
Will be trying something different soon. Made them for my two V stroms out of expanded metal and may try that next.
Many use car tires (darkside) on many different bikes. The only time I would consider it is on the rear of a sidecar rig. They don't lean. There is no way I can be convinced that a motorcycle rim has the right shape for a car tire to properly seat the bead. This subject causes near fights on many forums.
I like the fender extender. To me, keeping stuff off of/out of the radiator that the front wheel throws up would be a must for much off road/gravel riding. And actually a good idea for any riding. I tried a fender extender (from ebay)-same brand as I had used in the past with good success. It supposedly fits our bikes but I could not get it installed without it rubbing the tire. So it sits. His rear mud flap (Tennessee air brake) is home made I bet. I'll be making a front fender extender in a while.
Normal tires do OK for occasional gravel riding. I think if you did a lot you'd need to go with a more aggressive tread like he did, but I think his choice for the front is a bit much.
Protecting the fork seals is always a good idea. We get a lot of bugs here and if you let the dea ones on the fork tubes sit a get hard, they can damage the seals. There is a Triumph part that bolts on and protects the fork tubes. I will try to find the part number.
P1010547 - Copy.JPG

Merlin III

The one that gets me is the rear car snow tire? Off Dave, have you ever done that? The aggressive front tire is there for controlling the bike. I can't rap my head around how a car tire would handle on a motorcycle.

ofdave

The one that gets me is the rear car snow tire? Off Dave, have you ever done that? The aggressive front tire is there for controlling the bike. I can't rap my head around how a car tire would handle on a motorcycle.

This is as volatile a topic as oil.
I for one do not believe in car tires (except on a sidecar rig) even though double the miles is likely.
Many do it, especially on Wings, older Valkyries, and some big V stroms.
Every time there's a thread on a related forum there are some serious arguments. Not from me because I know I won't change anyone's opinion.
The biggest problem I have is that a motorcycle rim does not have the same shape as a car rim where the tire bead meets the rim.
I cannot accept that the bead of a car tire will seat correctly. That opinion is countered by those who have many many miles on car tires mounted on motorcycle rims. I say, good on ya, not for me.
There is an issue to me with a car tire not keeping enough rubber on the road when leaning in a turn where the car tire rolls up on the edge. Again, many have no issues but not for me.
On a sidecar rig there is no leaning so getting 25000 out of a tire makes sense.

Merlin III

This is as volatile a topic as oil.
I for one do not believe in car tires (except on a sidecar rig) even though double the miles is likely.
Many do it, especially on Wings, older Valkyries, and some big V stroms.
Every time there's a thread on a related forum there are some serious arguments. Not from me because I know I won't change anyone's opinion.
The biggest problem I have is that a motorcycle rim does not have the same shape as a car rim where the tire bead meets the rim.
I cannot accept that the bead of a car tire will seat correctly. That opinion is countered by those who have many many miles on car tires mounted on motorcycle rims. I say, good on ya, not for me.
There is an issue to me with a car tire not keeping enough rubber on the road when leaning in a turn where the car tire rolls up on the edge. Again, many have no issues but not for me.
On a sidecar rig there is no leaning so getting 25000 out of a tire makes sense.
Ya, those were my thoughts also, but wouldn't it be nice. :)

randy1149

ofdave, I'm on your side on the car tire on a MC. Trading longer miles for absurd handing does not make any sense... so that in and of itself put's it on the top of the to do list for the Harley crowd... ah that's after the loud pipes, which doesn't save $hit.

randy1149

Disagree with the last part of Randy's post, but no one wants to bring that subject up, right?

And I KNOW which part you disagree with and I brought it up... so have at it... as long as there's no personal references and no quotes from Rebel13.;)

Last edited:

Merlin III

I live in a beach community. Beach goers park on the street. When one of those vehicles is a van, I can not see if any vehicles that are approaching. I literally inch out giving any potential vehicle an opportunity to see me and slow down or stop. I can't hear autos when they are approaching, but I sure as hell can here approaching Harleys. You do literally hear them coming. Do I support having obnoxious noisy motorcycles on the road? Hell no, but I sure can hear them coming and it does put me on notice.

MJC

Super Moderator
I checked out that post. If it where me, and I do drive on gravel occasionally, I would just leave the bike has is. Maybe because I have the CTX700 and not the 1300, But the 700 does fine. Those tires (front) is not going to be good for dry blacktop roads, and putting a car tire on the back? who knows how that will handle gravel? I would say that just the weight of a car tire would not be good on gravel but because it is flatter and not rounded has much that may help on a flat gravel driveway. I think you would have to define "Occasional" has 70% of your riding time on gravel to make changes like that.

I have been known to start out on a blacktop paved road and turn off onto a not paved road just to see where it goes. Those are roads that for one reason or another are not paved but used has a town road. 2-3 miles rides on those roads is good for me then back to paved is about all I would do. About the only mod I would do is add a automatic chain oiler and clean it more often. I would think the fine dirt and sand would be something to worry able, before tires and rock shields.

If we are talking more off road, dirt riding I would get a better bike altogether. Luckily Honda makes one of these too. The CRF1000L Africa Twin and it comes in DCT if you like.

randy1149

I live in a beach community. Beach goers park on the street. When one of those vehicles is a van, I can not see if any vehicles that are approaching. I literally inch out giving any potential vehicle an opportunity to see me and slow down or stop. I can't hear autos when they are approaching, but I sure as hell can here approaching Harleys. You do literally hear them coming. Do I support having obnoxious noisy motorcycles on the road? Hell no, but I sure can hear them coming and it does put me on notice.

Hearing loud pipes in a beach community is a big difference then out on a highway with all the traffic noise and radios blasting. The next time you hear a Harley coming run and get your 9mm and as the guy goes buy.... SHOOT HIM, then put a sign on him... "Loud pipes, didn't save this guy".

In all honesty I think the straight pipe mufflers put on the CTX700 sounds the same as the playing card clothes pin I used to put on the back wheel of my bicycle to make noise. I'm not criticizing to all those putting straight mufflers on their bike... to each his own makes the world go round.

Last edited:

Steven

Both you guys have good points, but for myself, it can be painful sometimes and extremely distracting making it more unsafe for me. Our world is loud enough. Besides car tire are also very loud at highway speeds too. I think it's a bit too loud when people are talking and they have to stop until a loud bike or car goes by, that's over the top. I had a loud bike once in time and I hated it. I went on a 2,000 mile trip with those pipes and all I could hear were the pipes for about an hour after I shut the bike off. Sometimes I think the CTX is too loud but what you gonna do?

randy1149

Both you guys have good points, but for myself, it can be painful sometimes and extremely distracting making it more unsafe for me. Our world is loud enough. Besides car tire are also very loud at highway speeds too. I think it's a bit too loud when people are talking and they have to stop until a loud bike or car goes by, that's over the top. I had a loud bike once in time and I hated it. I went on a 2,000 mile trip with those pipes and all I could hear were the pipes for about an hour after I shut the bike off. Sometimes I think the CTX is too loud but what you gonna do?

I'm with you Steve, the quieter the better. Long rides with straight pipes beats the $hit of you.