Saddlebag Side Panel

randy1149

I've installed the side panels on my saddlebags. The instructions and reference can be found here

You just need to remove the Honda Wing Emblem and drill a hole for securing the panel to the saddlebags with a screw. Double sided tape is installed around the perimeter of the panel. The instructions call for a 4mm drill. When you make the 4mm hole you find out the panel will not set flat against the saddlebag lid. The 4mm hole is too small. I used an 8mm drill then a washer on the screw to adjust for the size of the hole. If you don't drill a larger hole you don't have any secure mechanical connection to the saddlebag. The hole must be big enough for the post on the panel to sit all the way into the saddlebag. The screw is what holds the panel to the bag, the double sided tape secures the edges of the panel. I can only assume these panels where used for other saddlebags with different specs.

Some mods on "other" forums telling people to cut off the post the screw goes in is absolutely wrong. The problem was he installed the panel originally without drilling the hole correctly and the panels did not sit flat on the saddlebag. This left the contact of the double sided tape unequal around the saddlebag. So he had to take it all apart. Then he made the mistake by cutting of the post and recommends that to everybody else. If he made the hole big enough to accept the stud on the panel to begin with he wouldn't need his repair postings. Whats amazing he not only post the original mistake but does it all over again. See here.

Last edited:

ofdave

interesting, randy
I had seen that thread and wondered why Honda would sell the bag panels if they didn't work right.
Looks like they do work right-if you follow the instructions and add a bit of common sense.
I'm hoping some will see this and use your experience.

randy1149

If you look in the installation guide Honda says "The adhesive reaches full strength in 72 hours. Wait 24 hours before you ride your motorcycle." IMHO it's the 72 hours when the adhesive tape is in it's weakest state while curing and is where the screw plays it's primary role. The screw pulls the panel up against the saddlebag to create a pressure all around as if you where pushing on the panel for a better contact... the screw does it for you. It's Honda's way too insure you have a nice tight fit. But I think Honda should update their installation documents or put an addendum in when there's a deviation.

Now, I'm not saying if you don't install the screw your installation will fail...no. I'm saying you get a better and stronger installation by screwing the panel to the bags. If you don't do anything and not drill the hole, the panel does not sit flush against the bag and you get an installation that Rebel13 showed in his pictures with spaces between the panel and bag. I should have posted this on Rebel13's post but past experience with those people would only have created a combatant war of words with warnings and bannings... again. He's telling people with a new install to throw away the screw... that's bad advice by a person who supposed to be one of the experts for the forum. In other threads some people used masking tape round the panel to distort it to "make it fit" and nobody comes out to correct the problem. It's hard to understand why you'd install these panels when they won't sit flush against the saddlebag without a red flag come up there's something wrong? However I can understand why people don't come forward in instances like this because of the mods "it's our way or the highway" attitude. You can't correct their bad advice without a verbal war... and in the end get banned for "disrespecting the mods", which is their way of getting rid of you.

Last edited: