Fehling crash bars, shipped to the US

randy1149

Just with the photos used to make a modification it looks like you'd just need to add a spacer on each bolt to move the bar away from the frame and the radiator covers?

BobWitte

if Bob sells me these, you will. I have been working on making a set for the faring model. The basic tubing I need would cost me more (because of the min amount and shipping) then what Bob is willing to sell these to me. My plan is to use this set has a model, cut/add whatever to make them fit. After that I will order the materials to make a few sets to sell. Or maybe I will be able to make and sell just the parts needed to use them.

If I do come up with a set I think I will offer them 1st to Bob, if he is interested.

Yes, he'd be interested.

That's why I rolled the dice in hoping I could make them work. But it wasn't in my skill set to pull it off. Here's wishing you good luck! (and save the shipping box!!):)

MJC

Super Moderator
OK, So Bob has sold the bars to me. Thank you Bob. I will wait for them to get here then start working on a mark up. Give me a few weeks and I will have photos and maybe a set of bars (or pcs to make these work).

Bob, I will save the shipping box...

Randy, I think you are right on adding the spacer on each bolt to move the bar away from the frame and the radiator covers. I also want to add a bar across to each side, and a lower bar on each side. Making this set the base. Like the Police bike. I want it in the end to be able to install leather lowers over the bars and if the bike was to go over, not that far over...like the foot pads do now..

So we will see, hopefully I will be able to make a basic set for everyone and a add-on set (on top of them) for that extra safely and use of leather lowers.

BobWitte

OK, So Bob has sold the bars to me. Thank you Bob. I will wait for them to get here then start working on a mark up. Give me a few weeks and I will have photos and maybe a set of bars (or pcs to make these work).

Bob, I will save the shipping box...

Randy, I think you are right on adding the spacer on each bolt to move the bar away from the frame and the radiator covers. I also want to add a bar across to each side, and a lower bar on each side. Making this set the base. Like the Police bike. I want it in the end to be able to install leather lowers over the bars and if the bike was to go over, not that far over...like the foot pads do now..

So we will see, hopefully I will be able to make a basic set for everyone and a add-on set (on top of them) for that extra safely and use of leather lowers.

Bars are on their way! And a big +1 on the leather. It's exactly what I intended to do, that or a set of hand laid fiberglass lower "fairings" like I did on the engine bars on my GL500i Trike.

randy1149

If you compare radiator side covers the 2 pix below the radiator side covers are totally different with the bike with the fairing is much wider and extends out much more then the one without the fairing.

The crash bars where made to fit the bike with the smaller radiator cover. Unless I'm missing something all you need do is add 1" spacers for each bolt to extend the crash bars further out and it should be good to go.

mjc let us know how you make out.

Attachments

• CTX700 N.jpg
    CTX700 N.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 192
  • CTX700 D.jpg
    CTX700 D.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 177

ofdave

the black side covers are different because they don't mount the same
the faired model fairing-the second outer part, actually mounts to a point under the gas tank sidecover that is common to both. This is where the naked black side covers mount. The faired outer black sidecover mounts to the outside of this second side fairing. The extra width comes from the second side fairing that the nakeds don't have
I like the look of the faired model showing more of the frame and studied a faired model at the dealer to see if the black side covers would work on my naked-they won't-totally different mounting.
Am working on something to achieve the look of that little more frame showing.

BobWitte

Man I wish those crash bars on the police ctx where available somewhere. I've tried emailing everyone that seemed to be involved in making that bike but no luck.
Let's hope that Mike is able to develop a good variation for us. If he can develop something akin to the Fehling bars, I'll be delighted.

MJC

Super Moderator
Man I wish those crash bars on the police ctx where available somewhere. I've tried emailing everyone that seemed to be involved in making that bike but no luck.

They only made a Defender ctx700 2014 has a Demo. Guess it did not sell and no longer offer it for sell. I did talk to them about buying just parts and was told they sell the bike with packages only. They do not sell just the parts so you can make your own.

ofdave

Sounds smart.
Quit building a bike because it didn't sell. Do not offer parts made for the non-selling bike.
Ignore making a few bucks to recoup probable losses on development costs for the product that did not sell.
Smart, real smart.

MJC

Super Moderator
Bars are on their way! And a big +1 on the leather. It's exactly what I intended to do, that or a set of hand laid fiberglass lower "fairings" like I did on the engine bars on my GL500i Trike.

Bob, bars came today, did not open box yet. We got 12" of snow here so will have to wait to get to them. Has the bike in is a un-heated garage, and is snowed in. Mail me some of that sun and warm weather!

Thanks, well keep everyone posted on how I make out.

BobWitte

Bob, bars came today, did not open box yet. We got 12" of snow here so will have to wait to get to them. Has the bike in is a un-heated garage, and is snowed in. Mail me some of that sun and warm weather!

Thanks, well keep everyone posted on how I make out.
Yeah I saw where they arrived on time. Good luck on the project. And remember, I'm your first customer for a successful conversion!:D

randy1149

There are other front and rear crash bars available at ebay. Google "crash bars on Honda CTX700" on the ebay web site and scroll around. I have the T-Rex rear bars which are equally important as the front if you have hard saddle bags.

Mister Hand

I'm *very* excited. A member of the CTX owners' group on Facebook shared a link to a company in England that sells the Fehling crash bars, and will ship to the US.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RYLKYKE/ref=pe_385721_148465821_TE_item

After currency conversion and shipping, I'm paying $230 and change. Expect to receive the bars within two weeks.

I'm practically happy-dancing. I've wanted these bars for a long time, but there are no Fehling dealers in the US these days. I even wrote to Fehling and several European distributors, asking if they could sell to me, but never received a single answer.

YAAAY!!!!

A year later, Amazon has them for less: New (1) from $165.11 + $12.95 shipping
Do you think you could put highway pegs off of these?

Tony