Thoughts

Woodswoman

Reminds me of a truck stop in the Mohawk Valley of New York State. The owner somehow installed an 18-wheeler on top of a water tower near the interstate, for advertising. It was quite memorable!

Of course, some government jerks made the owner take it down, citing it as an 'attractive nuisance.' Way to go, New York State. Bah.

Merlin III

Reminds me of a truck stop in the Mohawk Valley of New York State. The owner somehow installed an 18-wheeler on top of a water tower near the interstate, for advertising. It was quite memorable!

Of course, some government jerks made the owner take it down, citing it as an 'attractive nuisance.' Way to go, New York State. Bah.[/QUOTE

Call me a safety nut, but I would agree with NY on that one. We have a no bill board law here partially for that reason. I have driven in FL and found myself reading the continuous array of bill boards there to my dismay when I caught myself doing it. Distracted driving comes from many sources not just cell phones.

Steven

Went riding yesterday... Perfect weather!... and met a fellow that told me that the highest point in Illinois was just over "that" way (Mount Langham). I couldn't believe it cause I've lived here all my life, soooo... off I went to find it and I did.

I found myself on a cinder stone road which turned into a dirt path made from the tire marks of 4 wheel vehicles. The first hill I came to crossed over some train tracks with yield signs and a private property sign, and that led to a small meadow. Beyond this meadow, the tire tracks led into a dense overcast of woods. I followed it past another no trespassing sign (who pays attention to these anyhow) and found myself going up a mild grade over rocks and tree roots growing across the road, I was really off roading, heh heh. I then came to a clearing that had a picnic table and a pavilion. I noticed that the grass had been mowed so I began worrying that the person who put up those no trespassing signs might be living just around the next bend in the road, but on I went.

The trees ended and I found myself riding along the edge of a cornfield (so typical of the midwest), but I kept going. After a few more curves, the path turned into tall thick grass matted down from whomever had gone down this road earlier. I could see that it was less traveled and figured it was about the end of the road so I turned around headed back home because it was getting late.

When I got home I Googled this mountain and that led to my disappointment, it was only the 59th highest point in Illinois and to make matters even more depressing, it was only about 89 feet higher than the surrounding land.

Still, for a few moments, it was an adventure. Life is good and we have to appreciate the small things that it offers.

Steven

Some Photo's from Today's ride... These have water marks from a program I'm testing (sorry about that). The horse was there too.

Bke ride 9-29-16   Fence.jpgBke ride 9-29-16   Horse.jpgBke ride 9-29-16.jpg

Attachments

• Bke ride 9-29-16   Driveway 2.jpg
    Bke ride 9-29-16 Driveway 2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 122

Steven

I spent some time in Georgia while in the Army and it was the first time I had ever seen grits. It never caught on with me, but those people really loved it.

Steven

I just thought I'd throw this in. It's my bike with the admore lights installed in my Givi top case.

Hmmm, see that crack in the pavement where I rode... Did I do that?

Attachments

• DSC00949-1.jpg
    DSC00949-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 111

Steven

Just another photo or two during a ride... You never know what you'll find.

Attachments

• DSC00400-1.jpg
    DSC00400-1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC01101-1.jpg
    DSC01101-1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 154

Steven

Latest Picture I suppose everyone is busy rejoicing or crying over the election.

Attachments

• Bike in Park-1.jpg
    Bike in Park-1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 121

ofdave

from a ride earlier this week.
I ride 98% in the country. These are fairly common if you look when stopped.
The pic loads upside down for some reason-stand on your head to see it.
gator at goose pond.jpg

Last edited:

Shanghai Dan

Love the bike...:)

This was a 1300 mile week and I'm happy!

110 miles on Monday (Ventura to Pasadena then back)
410 miles on Tuesday (Ventura to San Francisco to Walnut Creek)
70 miles on Wednesday (Walnut Creek to San Francisco and back)
410 miles on Thursday (Walnut Creek to San Francisco to Ventura)
100 miles on Friday (Ventura to Santa Monica and back)
200 miles today (Ventura to Costa Mesa and back)

She just runs and runs - and I averaged 56 MPG at an average 61 MPH!