Locking the handlebar is a two-handed operation

popeyoni

When locking (and unlocking) the handlebar on my CTX, I always have to turn it a tiny little bit to the right.
This is very annoying because it requires both hands (one to move the handlebar and one to turn the key).
I'm considering adding some kind of spacer to prevent the handlebar from turning that last millimeter.

I don't remember my PCX being like this. Is this normal for the CTX or is my bike slightly out of whack?

Merlin III

Popeyoni, all CTX700s operate that way or at least that is what I have read. Living in Maine, I don't need to lock my handlebars, but I just went out and checked my bike, and yes, you have to turn all the way left and then "let up" and very slightly turn right.

randy1149

Your problem is normal to all CTX700s. To fix the "problem", from the left side of the bike look down the steering column to the steering stem and you'll see a stud on the stem that hits a stopper on the steering column when the handlebars are fully to the left. You need to put a washer (spacer) on the steering column stopper to take that last little space causing your problem. You can use some putty epoxy to glue the washer to the steering column stopper. Tape the washer on before you glue it to test it still locks the bars.

popeyoni

I fixed the problem this week. I used JB Weld to glue a washer to the stud on the steering column.
Now locking and unlocking the handlebar is a smooth operation.