Engine cuts out when gear is selected

Laurentp

My motorcycle has not been ridden for a couple of weeks. She starts fine and motor revs up with no problems. As soon as I pull in the clutch and try and select first gear, the engine dies. Any ideas why?

wallacem

Is it possible you have the kick stand down? It may be that it won't allow you to have it in gear with stand down. Wallace

Drey87

My motorcycle has not been ridden for a couple of weeks. She starts fine and motor revs up with no problems. As soon as I pull in the clutch and try and select first gear, the engine dies. Any ideas why?

The standard transmission will automatically shut off if put into gear while the kickstand is down, or is put down. This is a safety feature to ensure your motorcycle does not run off on you as you try to dismount. If the kick stand is up and when you put it into gear it still shuts off you will need to inspect the switch. Since you stated it hadn't been ridden for a awhile make sure nothing has tried to make it's home by the switch. If there is nothing there you'll have to check for any shortage.

ofdave

as said above, it's most likely the kickstand switch. So be sure the stand is up.
spray some cleaner on the switch and work the kickstand up and down several times
that should do the trick

ofdave

oh, noticed a first post by Laurentp and Drey87
A big welcome to you both!
go to the new member section and take a moment to introduce yourselves
always good to see more members

Merlin III

It does sound like a side stand or side stand sensor issue based on your limited description. It is pretty easy to inspect the sensor if you have the service manual and a basic electrical tester. I would start with putting the side stand up and down a couple of times to determine that it is fully retracted. It is not uncommon for Side stand sensors to go bad. Please let us know what the final out come is.

burdicda

You know if you have the DCT model and the sidestand is down it will not engage...I thought "Oh crap....I got one of those anomolies" then laughed when I noticed the sidestand was still out...