Final Drive-The best?

ofdave

Good video from Motorcyclist Online about final drive choices and the pros and cons of each.
Have had all three and probably happiest with chain for the type of riding I do. The occasional dirt road keeps me from favoring belt.
Shaft is good but they are not maintenance free.
Ever notice the superbikes are all chain? (I think)
Anyway, a good discussion in a few minute vid.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mc-garage-video-motorcycle-final-drive-systems-compared

Merlin III

All the recent bikes I have owned were shaft driven. While I had to change the drive oil every 12,000 miles, it was predictable scheduled maintenance. I had one belt driven bike and never had to do anything with during my two year ownership. That leaves chain driven bikes like the CTX. To be honest, I am not crazy about chain maintenance. One of my upcoming mods will be an oiler. One last thing about shaft drive bikes like the one's on BMWs and Moto Guzzi, they do at times prematurely fail and when they do it is a big deal expense wise and if you are out on tour you could be stuck for a month waiting for parts and the rebuild.

randy1149

I'd prefer a belt or shaft drive, but it's probably not the best for a bike the size of the CTX and it's 670cc 2 banger. The oiler I put on the chain has made maintenance pretty much just a few wipes of the oil that flings off.

Steven

I've only had chain and shaft and the shaft is a no brainer since you rarely have to think about it like a chain. I almost didn't buy the CTX because it had a chain. I like this bike so well that taking care of the chain is an act of love rather than a duty, but a shaft would have been better.

ponydrvr

Chain with an Auto Oiler. After watching several of my friends drop large sums $ to repair their shaft drives on different bikes, I'm sure I made the right choice.

Woodswoman

Except for my brief and unhappy flirtation with a Suzuki Marauder some years ago, every bike I've owned has had either shaft or belt final drive.

I'm not pleased about this chain business (emphasis on 'busy').

Well, so. <Shrug> Small enough price to pay.