headlight replacement

trinhusn

my headlight went out on my bike. I am looking for some help on how to replace the headlight on the Honda ctx700.
Thanks

casper

Pretty simple. You can get at it from underneath the front, or the best way is taking off the faux speaker grille area, and reaching right in. Gives you enough room for your hands.

Unplug the connector, pull the rubber boot. There is a snap wire that holds the bulb in place. Just squeeze the sides it will pop off. The bulb then comes out, and the reinstall is the reverse.

I'm replacing my OEM bulk with an OPT7 LED. It has a ballast that I'm not sure where to hang or zip tie that yo, but the procedure is the same. I'll probably put the ballast in the speaker grille opening. I was planning on doing that this winter. Nope. Will wait til it warms up a bit. Too fold in an unheated garage in a mn January or February. :)

Shanghai Dan

Reach up from underneath. A single bail wire holds everything together. Flip the bail wire, pull out the bulb, and you're done! You should be able to see the bulb from above and access it easily from below.

ofdave

Sounds like that works for the faired model (if that's what he has).
Is the procedure the same for the naked?

randy1149

While on the subject. Don't replace the 55W with the 100W H4 bulb. You take the possibility over time of melting and distorting the headlamp housing and the connectors and switches that the current goes thru. I learned that lesson from experience on my Valkyrie. And if you want that day light look look for bulbs in the 6000K (Kelvin) range.

Steven

Pretty simple. You can get at it from underneath the front, or the best way is taking off the faux speaker grille area, and reaching right in. Gives you enough room for your hands.

Unplug the connector, pull the rubber boot. There is a snap wire that holds the bulb in place. Just squeeze the sides it will pop off. The bulb then comes out, and the reinstall is the reverse.

I'm replacing my OEM bulk with an OPT7 LED. It has a ballast that I'm not sure where to hang or zip tie that yo, but the procedure is the same. I'll probably put the ballast in the speaker grille opening. I was planning on doing that this winter. Nope. Will wait til it warms up a bit. Too fold in an unheated garage in a mn January or February. :)

I found with the opt7 that I needed to replace the rubber boot or water/bugs will get into the housing. I had to cut the boot and then I used duct tape to cover the cut. I had the fairing off so it was fairly easy.

Steven

I just had a thought... (finally! :) ) Anyway, I've never had to replace a bulb in a motorcycle before. Granted I never had them a real long time, but it seems that I hear about the CTX's bulb needed to be replace far to often. This could be a safety issue if it happens at the wrong times. I think I would seriously consider going LED or something else.

randy1149

I've been looking at H4 LED bulbs. But I still come up with the H4 Xenon. A good LED with a fan draws almost as much as the Xenon. I can buy over 30 Xenon bulbs for the price of one LED. The LED has a mechanical fan which I'm not much of a fan (joke) about. I changed my bulb once and it was an easy 15-20 minute job, so I'm gunna stay with the Xenon.

Last edited:

Duffy

This looks like a possibly great headlight. Good luck with it and let us know your experience with it.

Steven

Those LED bulbs are nice. They really light up the road, especially when riding out of town on dark roads. I also like how white bright they are, people will notice you coming at them much better.