Moving front pegs for shorter rider

chuck1073

Hi!

First post here.

I'm a long time rider (CBR954) with a brand new rider to ask questions for, my wife. (I'm sure she'll be posting here before long)

She found the CTX700 on line. Today, she had a chance to check one out, first hand, at our local shop.

Everything is perfect, except the reach to the riders pegs.

I've seen posts that have to do with the "mini" floorboards. Is there anything else new that might move the entire peg/lever combination further back?

Thanks in advance!

Don Haycock

I installed the mini boards and they are great. First time I have ever had boards on a bike and I love them on my ctx 700t

Regor

On the 2015 models the seat is different. It pushes you further forward making the foot pegs an easier reach.

randy1149

This works for me. The floorboards along with the 2" offset mounts allows a greater forward/backword and up/down.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 509

ofdave

What brand and how much are those floorboards? They look nice.

the boards are: Kuryakyn Universal Ribbed Floorboard Gloss Black, part # 4357
the adapter is Kuryakyn 8815 Splined Adapter- this is a short adapter and really works well also

they are available from several sources, you need to shop for a good price

burdicda

kboardfitment.jpg
I just opened my Kuryakyn Floorboards part #4357 Ribbed Black and my splined adapters for honda part #8815
I looked everywhere until I saw the picture in this forum showing that someone chose the top row hole number 3 going from left to right. I was wondering about how anyone figured out which hole out of the 5 holes to use on the ctx700 and I noticed 2" offsets were used in the picture...anyone here tell me which hole on the floorboard you put the bolts thru on your bike without using the offsets but the straight fixed ones...#8815's.

Last edited:

Steven

I used the same number 3 hole hole as in the picture without the offset. I wanted it as far back as possible plus it gives just enough room and position for the brake peddle to work.

randy1149

burdicda, The hole you select is trial and error to your body dimensions. As I rode with the positions seen on the first post I ended up lowering the Kuryakyn boards underneath the bikes foot peg mounts. Pix here of the existing installation for me. How you install them will affect dragging on leaning turns. The offset not only gives you front to rear you also get up and down.

The pix on this post is where I selected best for me. The board essentially forwards and lower than the original mount. Notice the board is below the offset, before it was above.

Attachments

• Floorboard1.jpg
    Floorboard1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Floorboard2.jpg
    Floorboard2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

burdicda

I used the same number 3 hole hole as in the picture without the offset. I wanted it as far back as possible plus it gives just enough room and position for the brake peddle to work.

OK...that's what I was looking for...someone with the same exact install hardware as I have...but if I think it better there would be no problem buying the offsets....I just don't like the idea of scraping or dragging at all....and I'm getting whatever the final splines cerakoted flat black...not Kuryakyn chrome....

randy1149

OK...that's what I was looking for...someone with the same exact install hardware as I have...but if I think it better there would be no problem buying the offsets....I just don't like the idea of scraping or dragging at all....and I'm getting whatever the final splines cerakoted flat black...not Kuryakyn chrome....

I hate dragging too. Sorry to tell you but you'll be scrapping even with stock pegs... that's why they come with those peg studs on the bottom of the peg. If your a fairly aggressive rider you'll drag the floorboards no matter where you put them. The floorboards are angled down and back from the mounts. You can raise the boards with the offsets above the OEM position... see the pix of the top post ...how much depends on your size. You don't want your legs sticking up over the tank. Trial and error!.

Steven

I've never scraped my floor boards, but then I stick pretty close to the speed limit. I can't say for sure, but it seems the greatest risk of doing that is during slow tight turns like a u-turn.

randy1149

I've scraped just a few times and they where slow tight turns... I'm too old for high speed turns that would scrape anything.

casper

Randy, where did you get the offset mounts that go on the splined adapter? That would move your boards back some. I'm trying to figure a per or something behind NY calf as I like a more tucked position. The rear pegs are way to high. Since I don't ride two up I may just make an adapter to lower them.

Steven

I normally ride with my heals off the boards, but it would be nice to be able to bend my knees a little more. With the stock pegs, not being able to move my feet around on a long ride was very uncomfortable. I'm also going to add highway pegs.

burdicda

OK just finished with my floorboards...and by the book with some additional engineering..
I bought the exact same bolts in SS but 1/4 inch longer...and added a larger flat washer as well as a split lock washer
Hate to see those things come off going down the highway sometime at night...LOL
I also bought the angle meter from Home Depot as well as downloaded the cell app for angles...
Funny thing is when they were perfect for me...the Home Depot angle meter showed about 19 degrees and the cell app showed 21.3
Doesn't matter as long as it fits perfect for my height and riding style...
And I used the top row last hole on the right....
At the angle I wanted the brake pedal is right above the floorboard...I do not under any circumstances want my toe up under that
brake pedal and get stuck between the brake pedal and floorboard....

Shanghai Dan

Wait, you mean your floorboards are NOT supposed to scrape?

I admit it, I enjoy annoying the sports-bike crowd in the local canyons, when a fat old guy on a "cruiser" just kind of hangs with them through the twisties...:)

Steven

Shame on you! You have to be more considerate of their feeling... :p

I am usually a very conservative rider, but once in a great while I kick it up a bit and the bike seems to really like it a lot.

BTW, do they seemed surprised when you stay with them?

randy1149

Randy, where did you get the offset mounts that go on the splined adapter? That would move your boards back some. I'm trying to figure a per or something behind NY calf as I like a more tucked position. The rear pegs are way to high. Since I don't ride two up I may just make an adapter to lower them.

They are Kuryakyn (8837) 2" Offsets for Passenger Board Mounting. Amazon sells them $44.99 with free shipping (LINK) Google them and shop around, you may find cheaper prices.

randy1149

That's some serious scrapping there Shanghai... but scrapping doesn't give it justice. Grinding the $hit out of the floorboards is better for a visual explanation.

I know what you mean about keeping up with the sport-bike crowd. My crowd is made of Harleys and they can't keep up with me in the turns. Low center of gravity and DCT rules in the twisties.

Last edited: