Thoughts

Thumper

from a ride earlier this week.
I ride 98% in the country. These are fairly common if you look when stopped.
The pic loads upside down for some reason-stand on your head to see it.
View attachment 502

LOL! I ran across a big one somewhere down your way years ago stretched across the 2 lane road I was riding on. Traffic was backed up a mile and nobody wanted to motivate him to move. A cop finally showed up and urged him on. Brave man! I have been close to Buffalo on the bike but that Gator made me more nervous.

ofdave

So a ride Saturday to visit a small town where both my parents worked in the late "50's.
Brewster, FL-founded in the 1910's as a place where the phosphate mine people would live because no towns near enough.
It's about 30 miles south of where we lived which was a good hike on two lanes back then (about an hour drive).
Got there, where it should be that is-it is gone. Just gone. All that remains is a chimney from the phosphate plant. Seems the town was eliminated by a successor phosphate company in the early '70's.
Anyway, my trip to connect with history got me the two shots of the chimney
P1010631.jpgP1010632.jpg

ofdave

while getting there

I stopped to stretch on an old road and looked behind an electric transformer
found this sticker on the back, doesn't show much wear-was on the north side so no sun to bleach it
anybody remember the days when these signs were all the rage?
55mph - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

ofdave

Your getting very good with that camera my friend!!!! Do you do weddings?

obviously not yours,
your wife is a saint for putting up with you-you would not be so lucky again
just sayin'

kidding aside, Steven does take good pics-wonder what the camera is?

Last edited:

randy1149

obviously not yours,
your wife is a saint for putting up with you-you would not be so lucky again
just sayin'

kidding aside, Steven does take good pics-wonder what the camera is?

To understand my marital situation you must understand I've never been single. I went from the womb to the alter in one fell swoop and never remember being a bachelor. So since being married was a forever thing and the eternal putting up with me a saint was mandatory. It's been working for 56 years.

ofdave

To understand my marital situation you must understand I've never been single. I went from the womb to the alter in one fell swoop and never remember being a bachelor. So since being married was a forever thing and the eternal putting up with me a saint was mandatory. It's been working for 56 years.

she has my deepest sympathy!
I've only been married 44 years. 23 plus 21.

Steven

I've been married a couple of times, but it never stuck. I've avoided marriage too many times to count. I guess I'm not very good at selecting women and I like the freedom of being single too much. I've always stayed friends with the ex's.

The camera is a Sony a6000. It's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera ( I bought it used). Once in a while I get lucky with a decent picture, but compared to many photographers my best is purely amateur.

If you're interested, I generally use the "rule of thirds" (you can look it up). The key between taking a snap shot or having an interesting shot is often about the light conditions. This means early mornings and late afternoons are the best times to take pictures, noon is the worst time. I've watched many video's of other peoples methods of taking pictures and it can be interesting. Some people spend the entire day setting up their camera and waiting for the right light conditions to take just one photo. It's an amazing thing to see the results. I'm still "trying" to get an "eye" for what makes a good photo.

As for wedding photo's I don't have the skill set for that. I didn't realize it till lately that photographers specialize in different aspects of photography, i.e. portrait, landscape, macro, and so on. Techniques between these are vastly different. I've also come to realize that it's less about what camera a person uses and more about skill in composition. It also helps to be able to tweak the photo in programs like Lightroom or something similar.

Nuff said about that, but thanks for liking my pictures. That means a lot to me.

You might also like this picture taken the same day as the other one...

Clouds in park_7.jpg

Last edited:

ofdave

I need to keep at it, mine just don't come out the way they used to (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20)
will hint to santa
anyway, here's a shot I took to day. I ride this road probably 3 times a week-houses are on 5 to 50 acre sites. Always a lot of cows, horses and goats but never one of these.
So today was a double take day-caught this guy out of the corner of my eye and had to have a pic, made a uey and shut off the bike coasting the last couple hundred feet so I wouldn't spook him (her?).
P1010745.jpg
come to find out, the land owner has some kind of circus involvement and brings some of his staff in for the winter

Thumper

I never expected to see one--but I knew they were out there watching :eek:

We had a similar experience out in Texas years ago! Riding along some area of the Hill Country and look over to see a bunch of them in a pasture. Very strange site for sure when all your used to seeing is Cows and Horses!

burdicda

Wait till you run up on an ostrich farm and they want to run along their side of the fence and race the bikes....
In Florida....