2014 Model year, anything I need to be aware of if buying pre-owned?

jonrjen

I have had a discussion going on in the "Member Introduction" forum which I have received a number of great information from.

Now, my question is, I am going to go take a look at a 2014 model with the fairing. It currently has 2,300+ miles on it. One owner. Asking price $4,500. Now from what I learned in the introduction post is that the price is high for the current market. So my goal will be to if interested come in no higher than $4,000. I did do a internet search and located a dealership in Shawnee, OK that has 2014 CTX700 with fairing priced at $4,995 or 2014 tour model with fairing and bags for $5,295. I do not know, but assume that these prices do not include shipping, dealer prep fees which would raise the price by hundreds of $.

OK, I got a bit wordy supplying too much information. My Question is, when looking at a pre-owned 2014 CTX700 is there anything that I need to check for that is a common gremlin on these bikes?

From most of what I have read, if you take care of the basics the bike will provide miles of smiles asking for little in return. Except gas...and darn little of that given the mpg of the 700.

Thank you in advance for your sharing of knowledge, information and hands on ownership.

Steven

I bought mine used from a dealer and there were no dealer prep charges on a "used" bike. A couple of years ago I was thinking about having a bike shipped and the cost was around $400.

I would definitely consider the ones with the bags because they are not cheap to buy later. Another thing to consider is the windshield. On the faired version, many people got the Cee Bailey shield. Most people that have spoken about this says that the tall Honda shield leaves much to be desired. Mine came with the tall shield and I added the CB shield and it was better. If you're shorter, the tall shield might work for you.

The only real gremlin is the suspension. I'm on the heavy side and it only gave me about an inch travel. My weight took up 3 of the 4 inches available (front and back). I shimmed up the back like I spoke of earlier and got the sag right which really helped, but rough pavement was still a problem. On the front I added fork preload adjusters and that also helped. There are other things you can do, but the costs go up.

The seat is also okay for shorter rides (some people are perfectly happy with the seat), but for longer rides many people prefer a custom seat. We can speak of that later if you want.

Last edited:

ofdave

Be very careful of the fun factor.
When you get one the grin will never go away.
No issues with '14s at all.
The prices you mentioned are not really good deals unless the OK bikes are new.
Call and speak to the sales manager-discuss the fact that shipping will be an extra for you and make an offer with that amount (or even a couple hundred more) deducted from his price. Tell him you will make the decision "now" and will wire the payment as soon as you see the paperwork.
If you let the seller of the used bike know you are serious and will buy "today" a 4 thousand offer is a good one.

fergy

I bought my 2014 CTX DCT with 4500 mi. about a year ago for about $4600. Perfectly maintained by the previous owner, it has been flawless and a ton of fun!. These bikes are essentially identical from inception to the current models. If you can get a 2014 with that mileage that is in great shape, buy and don't look back. It is a great bike at that price point.

PA Dave

I agree with ofdave and fergy completely. I bought my '14 CTX (non-DCT) for just under 4K from a local dealer with under 3300 miles. It already had the tall screen and the passenger backrest. They are a heck of a lot of used bike for a such a small amount of money. I can't say about new leftover bike prices...never bought a new vehicle in my life.