Gas smell after exhaust mod

randy1149

Yes Randy and Novac, but the poster said that the bike ran well. If it wasn't firing or firing consistently, there would be a performance problem. You wuld know it right off. As per over filling, I'll have to check, but I believe that was discussed on the other forum and it was an issue. Quite possibly, there is no one reason, but multiple reasons?

Agree Merlin... running well does not make sense... until the problem is found.

Merlin III

Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I'm trying to find one outside of New York City I can trust. What I've done to try and figure this out is cleaned the plugs and flashed the ECM/PCM. Filled up and have been riding to work like normal for a week. I didn't smell gas and got 100 miles since I had to refill the tank. Today I was riding in the D mode and smelled the gas again. No visible leaks, and is running alright. Just not making any sense of this. I've also purchased a diagnostic tool to look even further into the issue, will receive it next week. If I can't figure it out I will take it in before the season is over. I definitely keep you guys posted on the progress.

Thanks Bert for the update. When you fill the tank, do you stop at the metal "stop" inside the tank with the slot in the center? As I recall, if you go much higher than that, there is an overflow hose that will dump gas underneath the bike as I recall. You wouldn't see a leak, but you would smell gas at a stand still.

What is the diagnostic tool you ordered called?