Thoughts

Steven

Here's a video I put together just to get used to the software. There's nothing new here, you've all seen my pictures. It adds a little motion and music. Please don't hesitate to tell my what you don't like about it. It's just a learning experience to me and my feeling won't be hurt, and would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKlEKTIIu4k

rickster

Instead of posting a new thread, I thought I'd come over here and piggyback onto Steven's work. I'm working with a new camera to use as a travel/motorcycling tool and this was it's first outing. I rode my CTX up to the Olympic Village at Squaw Valley (1960 Winter Olympics) and then on to Lake Tahoe for a quick spin around the northern shore. On the way back I stopped at the historic Emigrant Gap which was used in the 1840's by wagon trains as settlers pushed west.

Squaw Valley-Torch-P1010163.jpg
Site of the 1960's Winter Olympic Games, the Olympic flame still burns in a cauldron at the valley's entrance.

P1010178.jpg
Migrating to California was dangerous business and the trip by covered wagon was treacherous. Emigrant Pass was one of only a few ways over the Sierra Nevada.

rickster

Yep....one had to be tough, determined and ready to sacrifice. Imagine a pioneer mother and father bringing their young children west in the hopes of finding a bright future all while fearing for their immediate safety. Getting over the mountains was a daunting task that had to be met with resourcefulness. We have one pass not far from where my photo was taken that is known as "Roller Pass". It was so steep that the settlers had to cut trees and use them as rollers and pulleys to get their wagons over it. You can see more here: http://www.donnersummithistoricalsociety.org/PDFs/20milemusemsigns/rollerpass.pdf

Steven, I bought a Panasonic FZ1000. It's a 1" sensor, superzoom. While I initially thought I wanted a larger sensor camera (My main axe is a Canon 5DM3 full frame) I'm so impressed with the dynamic range, color rendition, and lack of noise from this 1 inch sensor that I have no complaint. It also helps that the lens is very, very good except for at it's extremes where some barrel distortion appears at 25mm and some softness and chromatic aberration at around 400mm. I'm an old time manual shooter who uses a hand held light meter and the camera and my meter sync perfectly. The camera also allows me to configure it for back button focusing while removing the focus operation from the shutter button. This is really important for me along with the option of single point focusing and magnified manual focusing for critical focus in cityscapes and landscapes. One last thing...it's flash operation syncs perfectly with my studio lighting system. I'm very happy with the camera.

Steven

That looks like a great camera. Camera's just keep getting better and better... I've noticed many people taking smaller and lighter cameras for casual shooting. It makes sense.

Mister Hand

I didn't get any response to my last video so I assume it was perfect... NOT!

Anyway, I redid my Eagle Island Road video. It's shorter now with a special effect at the beginning and some sound upgrades. I would appreciate any suggestions as this is a learning process for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0s2Arf5LrI&feature=youtu.be

Well, I thought it was great. Such beautiful country, and whatever you did to get that color saturation and views of those clouds hanging in the air... really great! It seemed just a little surreal. Was it slowed down? Interesting choice to have no motor sound and just music.

Tony

Steven

The camera over saturates the color a bit, but I like it too. I didn't do anything to the color. As for being surreal, I agree. This was taken at normal speed with the bike going 35 mph.

This is just a prelude for a trip I plan in a couple of weeks. I'm heading up to Montana and and then work my way down to Utah. I hope to put a video together that documents the trip. It's going to be a mixture of videos and photographs. The idea is to create a surreal movie using a mixture of different music to accentuate the emotional aspect of the scenery. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I think it will be fun to do. I figure that as I get older, I'll have it to enjoy the trip again. Maybe it will inspire others to make the similar trips and videos. I realize those are grandiose thoughts, but why not if it makes even one persons life a little better.

I'm a little reluctant to go to some of the national parks if they're over crowded. I know they have some of the best scenery, but there are other parts of the country that have their own beauty. For me, it's all about the ride, the openness of the west and the solitude to reflect.

I appreciate your response. Sometimes what seems like a good idea in my mind is not always how others see it.

rickster

Steven, I like the color saturation in your video. I wanted to put my 2 cents in here about your upcoming trip. If you haven't already been to the National Parks in Utah and bypass them this time, you'll be missing the some of most remarkable places in the west. School goes back into session a lot earlier than when I was a kid...my grand kids are already back, so many families are already over with their vacations which will greatly lessen the number of people in the parks. Seeing the formations in Arches N.P., or the Hoodoos in Bryce from a motorcycle just has to be memorable. You can't drive into Zion...you have to shuttle...but it's also impressive. And, once you're at Zion...what the heck...in the words of "The King"...VIVA LAS VEGAS! You don't want your motorcycle trip to be over too quickly anyway... : - )

Steven

Not much going on lately...

As you folks know I'll be leaving soon to head out west, but before I do I put together the intro to the movie I'll make when I return. Think of it as a teaser.

Where you see the flowers is where I will add photo's and video's from the trip.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/meOi7xBfIVE

MJC

Super Moderator
BOB! DO NOT HEAD OUT TIL YOU GET A BODY! LOL................enjoy, ride safe and I for one can not wait to see the movie.

MJC

Super Moderator
.......... I'll be leaving soon to head out west, but before I do I put together the intro to the movie I'll make when I return. Think of it as a teaser.

Where you see the flowers is where I will add photo's and video's from the trip...."

Hello Steven, Did you get back from your trip out west? Where are the photos and the movie? I watched the teaser lol. Now on with the movie!
Hope you had a good trip?

Steven

I went out west but not to where I had originally planned. First the weather was too hot, so I waited, then all of a sudden, it got really cold. I had no idea that was going to happen. So, I headed south, got blown around by Kansas winds and ended up in Trinidad Colorado. From there I took Route 12 (I believe) which loops from Trinidad north and back to the Interstate. I forget, it was 60 or 90 miles. The people in Trinidad warned me not to make my way to Utah because of the possible weather in the mountains. After meeting another rider on the road who had got caught in the mountains during a blizzard, I decide it just wasn't worth the risk. Still, I had fun, but didn't get the pictures I wanted.

In case you missed them, here are a few of the pictures I took.

Attachments

• Mountain Lake.jpg
    Mountain Lake.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Mountain 2.jpg
    Mountain 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Tree lined road 3.jpg
    Tree lined road 3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 47