Just can't not look!

Steven

Short answer - black will be warmer when the sun is out but you already know that.

If you think of it in terms of BTU's, it's easier to understand. There are two sides to every garment. With the sun shining there is a huge amount of BTU's striking the outside of the garment and a lesser amount coming from body heat warming the inside of the garment. What that means is that the net transfer of heat is through the garment towards and onto the body. Simply said, the outside of the garment is getting more heat than the inside.

If your garment was silver or something that reflected heat, especially in the infrared, it would block the BTU's being absorbed by the garment, hence (assuming it blocks enough BTU's) more of the heat would be coming form the inside of the garment, i.e. body heat, with the net result of heat being transferred outwards through the garment. Of course this is only theory and there are other factors to be considered.

Air movement outside and inside the garment also plays a role.

I wish someone made a jacket, silver on the outside and black on the inside that was also reversible depending on whether the sun was out or if it was dark. In theory, with the jacket reversed, the silver should reflect the persons body heat back to the wearer on the inside, it should feel warmer. It would be interesting to see how/if that would work. I think the jacket would also need to be able to be vented to allow air cooling and closed when the temps got to low.

I do know they make heat reflective camping pads (for sleeping bags) that work on that principle.

The down side is what respectable motorcyclist would be caught dead wearing a silver jacket? :) Maybe a nice copper color?

Well, that's my 2 cents...

MJC

Super Moderator
Steven.."The down side is what respectable motorcyclist would be caught dead wearing a silver jacket?..."

Me, I wear a Silver, vented, MESH JACKET, and when I need it with a black lining. It also has armor at shoulders and elbows and Memory foam comfort back panel, which I removed, to sew on my club back patch. I also wear a 1/2 helmet in white (like a cop) with vents and visor. And dark prescription sun glasses made for motorcyclist.

Back in the day I only had my black leather jacket and a black leather vest with my club patch over my jacket, or just biker looking cool vest with a black tee. That was when I was a biker! When I started wearing the Silver Jacket I thought I went on to become a motorcyclist. Guess I was wrong, now I do not know who I am?!?

Guess I am plane Cool (when riding) Guy, NOT, more like, I do not give a fuxk what I look like and just try to say something to me about it..... only joking, lol.

Just a older guy who likes to ride and have some fun, in a silver jacket, well in a tee shirt (gray) but I wear the jacket so I do not sun burn my soft skin.....And besides many people like riding with me, they say I am a great group leader for rides and trips. So they would never say anything to hurt my feelings...LOL. Plus they know I would take them on a long ride and leave their ass there. Them black jacket wearing bikers have problems finding their way home...often end up asking for directions at bars along the way...

MJC

Super Moderator
I think your right, Them, not me lol, I know my way home lol. And I do not drink, well a beer here and there...Meds I am on are way better....

Have a nice day

Shanghai Dan

Short answer - black will be warmer when the sun is out but you already know that.

If you think of it in terms of BTU's, it's easier to understand. There are two sides to every garment. With the sun shining there is a huge amount of BTU's striking the outside of the garment and a lesser amount coming from body heat warming the inside of the garment. What that means is that the net transfer of heat is through the garment towards and onto the body. Simply said, the outside of the garment is getting more heat than the inside.

If your garment was silver or something that reflected heat, especially in the infrared, it would block the BTU's being absorbed by the garment, hence (assuming it blocks enough BTU's) more of the heat would be coming form the inside of the garment, i.e. body heat, with the net result of heat being transferred outwards through the garment. Of course this is only theory and there are other factors to be considered.

Air movement outside and inside the garment also plays a role.

I wish someone made a jacket, silver on the outside and black on the inside that was also reversible depending on whether the sun was out or if it was dark. In theory, with the jacket reversed, the silver should reflect the persons body heat back to the wearer on the inside, it should feel warmer. It would be interesting to see how/if that would work. I think the jacket would also need to be able to be vented to allow air cooling and closed when the temps got to low.

I do know they make heat reflective camping pads (for sleeping bags) that work on that principle.

The down side is what respectable motorcyclist would be caught dead wearing a silver jacket? :) Maybe a nice copper color?

Well, that's my 2 cents...

Not me, but I have this riding suit. And it's REALLY comfortable even in 100 degree SoCal heat! Flows a ton of air:

Steven

All I can say is that you guys are trend setters and looking good at doing it! Like they say, only real men can wear pink. :) I really do like that suit. Oh, I always wear long sleeve shirts when I ride (I started that after getting sun burn blisters on my arms after one long ride), and I carry two, one sort of white and one black. Depending on the temperature and sun I swap them out.

BTW, I was in a Cycle Gear store a while back and "all" of their rain suits were flat back. I would think that wearing black in inclement weather where it's hard to see would be the wrong thing to do. Years ago I had a bright yellow rain suit (It looked kinda of like Dan's suit) and I loved it.

Regarding the OP (just can't not look), I finally had enough of Rebel this morning and set him straight on his lack of technical knowledge:

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/te...2-radiant-shorty-backpressure.html#post767369

With his attacks on other people and insisting that he's always right he comes across to me as being very insecure. I've got friends who are actual internationally-recognized experts in technical matters relating to motorcycles and I'm afraid Rebel doesn't impress me as being much of an expert.

Oh well, I wonder if he'll ban me or delete my post? It would be a shame as there are people at that forum who I think can benefit from some of my advice (which I tend only to offer when I've got something I think is worth contributing).

For those who don't want to bother going over there here's what I wrote:

Rebel, I don't know what your deal is, other than you can't stand to admit you are wrong and you seem to tend to ignore what other people say if it doesn't fit your "I can't be wrong" agenda.

How can I have forgotten the amateur aspect when I specifically addressed it? Do you even read what other people write? It often looks like you don't.

You don't need timing to a thousandth of a second to detect modest changes in power over a standing start quarter mile or in a timed rolling-start test of a sufficient length. If an elapsed time drops a consistent 2-5 tenths of a second then there's more power being used through the timed section. If speed traps don't measure horsepower you'd better get on the phone to the SCTA because Bonneville is coming up in about 6 weeks, and they'll want to make some big changes to how they do things.

You make a lot of bold assertions but don't seem to have much of a clue about a lot of technical things (though I'll grant that I've seen you now and then offer some reasonable advice to people in some areas at this forum). What is your racing experience to back up all your claims? You say "An experienced racer knows this". I've won a vintage RR national, I've won money in an AMA National pro-am Battle of the Twins road race event (5th place, but it still paid off), and I've gotten a fair number of trophies at the intermediate level in club MX and observed trials. In the 45 years that I've been racing I've designed AND built my own race bikes (engines and chassis) and I've worked with experienced engine builders to develop some of my road race engines with flow benches and on the dyno and at the drag strip. Does that sound like I just might be a slightly experienced racer who knows something?

You need to chill and realize that it is OK to admit when you don't know something. People will respect you for that. Shucks, the older I get the more cautious I am about making definitive statements because I've got a very good idea of how much I don't know even though I'm considered by a fair number of savvy people to be pretty well informed about a lot of technical stuff compared to the run of the mill motorcyclist.

Last edited:

ponydrvr

Regarding the OP (just can't not look), I finally had enough of Rebel this morning and set him straight on his lack of technical knowledge:

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/te...2-radiant-shorty-backpressure.html#post767369

With his attacks on other people and insisting that he's always right he comes across to me as being very insecure. I've got friends who are actual internationally-recognized experts in technical matters relating to motorcycles and I'm afraid Rebel doesn't impress me as being much of an expert.

Oh well, I wonder if he'll ban me or delete my post? It would be a shame as there are people at that forum who I think can benefit from some of my advice (which I tend only to offer when I've got something I think is worth contributing).

For those who don't want to bother going over there here's what I wrote:

I've told him where to get off a couple of times for similar issues, jfc as well. I haven't been banned yet. I have noticed though that if I comment on a topic they suddenly quiet down or quit posting. Rebel will even go away for a while. It seems they, rebel more than John, need an attitude adjustment occasionally.

I did delete nearly all of my profile information so if I get banned I can at least not exist on the site. ALso, went thru and deleted all of my posts where possible and copied them to my hard drive in case anything were to come from either of them. Did you know that rebel considers himself a motorcycle mechanic? Not sure if he is employed or self-employed. Interestingly, he lists no bona fides for his "expertise".

Last edited:

randy1149

If you get banned take your laptop to a free wifi location/store and do this:
1. Clear out your cache/history on your web browser, (Safari/Firefox... etc)
2. Create a new email from a place like Gmail or Hotmail.
3. Go back to the "'darkside" web site and create a new subscriber.
4. Don't give them your cell phone number.

They can't ban you, they ban the name you use. Aslo they use your internet providers IRL to ban you. When you go to a different internet provider you get a new IRL and they don't have a clue it's you again, that's why you need to go to a different provider.

There are other ways to get back it but this is just one.

Nah, if they ban me they can have the last word. The forum is open for general public viewing and I'm not about to try and change my writing style to sneak back in and post. There are other places I can hang out at and chat about the Honda and I'll eventually have a page on my website documenting everything I think is worth sharing with people about the Honda.

Since it appears that the company that runs the other place is quite happy with Rebel as a moderator then I'll presume that he represents their standards. If that's what they like, then it probably isn't all that great of a fit for me because if he'd been a moderator at a website I used to oversee (which usually had a mod/admin staff of about 25-35 people) he'd have never made the grade. My concern would be more that I wouldn't be able to answer someone who has a question that is more up my alley than the typical ones about windshields and saddlebags (which I know very little about and don't comment on).

Well, I see he really put me in my place. My pals will certainly be surprised to learn that I've hoodwinked them and many other people for decades by pretending to be a a racer or knowing anything about motorcycle technology.

:rolleyes:

cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Steven

I have no desire to go back either. It's not worth it to have to watch your back all the time.

Michael- I noticed that he thinks he has peoples respect. Oh, I didn't realize that your resume is fake and that you're posting fake information. Oh my, what Are we going to do with you? :confused:

Last edited:
Steven, you'll just have to get me banned here for everyone's protection!

I was pretty dazzled by his reply. He should get a window installed in the bubble he lives in so he can let some oxygen inside.

I notice that everything is a personal attack against him, while he's just calmly laying out the facts.

I feel no need to watch my back over there. He's just another Internet blowhard, and I'm not nearly insecure enough to feel threatened by him. I'm pretty easy to find on the Internet, what with my website having been up for 20 years now and posting under my actual name, and if people want to look at my "resume" there's plenty of information out there to document it. I do feel sorry for the people who lack the knowledge to keep from getting sucked in by his "expertise".

I've a minor temptation to post some scans of pages from a book on racing chassis design/construction that have photos of some frames I built to see if he'd accuse me of fabricating them, but frankly, he's not worth the effort and I wouldn't get enough amusement from seeing him splutter to make it worth the bother.

cheers,
Michael

Steven

Even if you did it still wouldn't make him wrong in his eyes. That's a common trait of people like him. He could run over someone and blame that person for getting run over, it's just the way people like him are. There's no point of trying to argue with him.

MJC

Super Moderator
Michael Moore are you the same, Michael Francis Moore? I just assumed you where not. But You and Rebel remind me of MM and Trump, one person knows what he is talking about and the other, just says he does.

Sorry just had to say something, Mod can remove if I went to far............

New kinda learning going on, 1st you know it all, and you tell everyone you know it all. So you end up believing you do. Everyone that says you do not is wrong.
............Man I an a bad Dad, my kids when they where teenagers knew it all and I told them they did not. One of them at age 3 told me he knew better then me, and I now know he was the smartest one of the kids. I feel bad for making him read books and going to school and all.

We had a saying back in the day. "A person who knew a little about something could do more harm than a person who knew nothing or was a expert". Now a Days it should be " a person who says he is a expert, can do more harm to someone who knows nothing or just a little".

I do get that question now and then. No, the film maker is a bit younger than I am and I've never seen anything indicating he's a motorcyclist. I'm also not the former Australian Prime Minister. :) Michael has been one of the more popular male given names in the USA for a long time, and I was named after an uncle (a different uncle provides my middle name).

As I mentioned over there, the older I get and the more I know, the more I become aware of how much I don't know so I try to not make definitive statements expressing some uncertainty unless I'm pretty sure about them.

George Carlin had a saying that seems appropriate to Rebel" “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

I've never before had someone accuse me of falsifying much of my life history. Hopefully anyone over there who reads that thread will pick up on how unhinged Rebel sounds and the fact that he's willing to accuse me of fabricating what I've done while avoiding providing his own bona fides/curriculum vitae.

I'm tempted to point out to him how easy it easy to find out something about me since my website http://www.eurospares.com has been up for about 21 years and it has a lot of my projects and racing history on it. archive.org shows the earliest captured snapshot of my website was in Dec 1996 and the counter at the bottom of that snapshot goes back to Jun 2016 which sounds about right to me.

But I'd expect him to come back with some nonsense about how I've been craftily planning my nefarious schemes to hoodwink people for a couple decades. Or maybe he'd just ignore it as he seems to ignore anything that doesn't meet his "I'm right" perceptual filters.

cheers,
Michael

Woodswoman

Since it appears that the company that runs the other place is quite happy with Rebel as a moderator then I'll presume that he represents their standards.

Mmmm, no. He represents the standards of that particular forum, not its ownership.

I'm a moderator on another forum, VolusiaRiders.com, which is owned by Vertical Scope, and my husband is an administrator there, too.

Vertical Scope does not involve itself with who becomes or remains a mod or an admin. Period.

When we've had to oust someone from management at Volusia Riders, it has been done by us as a team of moderators/admins, after a vote. That's how we roll -- how we choose to roll -- and Vertical Scope has not involved itself at all. It neither needs to, nor cares to.

Vertical Scope's job is to keep its forums highly available, because each one is an advertising vehicle. I suspect that a forum would have to be a complete train-wreck -- degenerating to threats of violence, perhaps, or being taken over by spammers -- and losing membership (and hence marketing opportunities) in absolute droves before it would involve itself in day-to-day management.

I simply vote with my feet, so to speak, and decline to visit that forum, no matter what. I have no freedom there to offer my own opinion or advice, and to me that is intolerable in a venue for riders to learn from one another. Screw 'em.

Steven

Woodwoman...I like the way you think! :)

BTW, I'm getting used to my RDL seat and am liking it more every day.

Last edited: