It Happened...

Merlin III

DCT is the choice if high performance cars (street and racing). Bad Things Happen when clutches/transmissions fail at high speeds - where high performance engines operate. This is really nothing to worry about. DCT engages the clutch when there is sufficient drag/lug on the engine.

And if you're concerned about DCT and plowing through intersections because you forgot to let off the throttle? You're not braking hard enough. I know for a fact (it was one of the first things I did) that pulling the front brake hard WILL overcome the engine, and thus keep the DCT clutch engaged - even with full throttle engaged. It's why you can't do a burn-out with the DCT. If you are scared of the intersection - use your brake properly (engage it), use your throttle properly (let off), or get a car.

Yeah, tough words... I know, I know. But I get real tired of people living in fear of "what if/what about...". You RIDE A MOTORCYCLE. You are ALREADY participating in an activity that is 10X+ more dangerous than riding in a car. Living in fear of "what ifs" will get you nowhere fast...
No need to be pompous, Dan. I didn't say any of that. I said I stopped, took my foot off the brake and put my left foot down while looking to the left at an intersection that intersected at a 45 degree angle. That was a good neck twist. I didn't apparently have the throttle fully disengaged and unintentionally rolled forward. IF I HAD HAD A CLUTCH, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DISENGATED BECAUSE 40 YEARS OF MUSCLE MEMORY AND THE RELATIVELY MINOR INCIDENT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED .

No where did I say anything about being about being afraid and I did note that the situation was due to my inattention.

The thread isn't about fear of motorcycle riding. It is about the DCT and more particularly about some problems people are having with them. Sure, follow all the proper procedures all the time, but who out there does? You aren't saying you do are you?

Last edited:

Merlin III

Interesting you find the manual clutch as a fail safe device. There's probably lot of other people who could give you the reasons why the DCT is a safer transmission... the whole thing is really subjective. If you want to put the DCT in neutral push the N button when you come to a light... you don't need the handle.

On my other bikes I used the "fiction zone" all the time to my advantage in numerous situations. I miss it.

Mister Hand

These ECU computers do not have much recovery (if any) should they get locked up for a corrupted instruction or data. They just lock up and they need to be rebooted. Some give you a "limp mode" to get you home. All you need is one bit in an instruction to go bad or go corrupted and your dead in the water. As long as the problem does no reoccur there's nothing to worry about. It's basically the same thing our home computer locks up every now and then. The big dogs like the phone companies have 2 processors one active, one standby each with work timers with 4 or 5 recovery processes to prevent a lockup like our "cheapo" does. There is no reason why we can't have the 2 processors with recovery procedures... except for money.

I once sat in the passengers seat of a KLM flight in Amsterdam watching the movie screen on the seat in front of me display the UNIX boot sequence (like my Linux machine at home) over and over again. I later learned that they were doing multiple boot-ups of the plane's software because the avionics system wasn't coming up. When it finally did (a couple of hours later) they announced -almost with glee- the "the avionics finally came up!!" and they took off the plane. My question was... should anyone worry about the avionics system *staying* up if it didn't want to come up in the first place? But... like Randy said, doing reboots until the problem is solved is often considered good. Good enough in this case to fly through the air (although I think they had to do a few other operations on it.)

Thanks for this bit of info about how one might deal with the auto system checking out...

Tony

MJC

Super Moderator
EVERYONE PLAY NICE, we are all friends here, or you will be sent back to that other forum!!!!!!

Just had to say it, sorry..lol...lol...lol..

Merlin III

The actual cause was rider intention, correct, just as I said in my initial post. Just curious though, in your 40,000 miles last year, or whatever it was, were you ever inattentive while riding? If your answer is no, then most likely, you are not being truthful. If the answer is yes, then why all the self righteous indignation?

The essence of my post was that I am rethinking whether or not the DCT is right for me. It doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else.

Shanghai Dan

Oh, I was inattentive plenty of times! But I didn't blame the bike, or my past experience for the issue. The issue was me. DCTs get a ton of "knocks" for being new/automatic/disengaging/not-real-biker. If anything, a DCT makes it SAFER in the condition you were at. I've seen more than one person pop the bike out from under them, especially those moving from scooters to motorcycles, as they forget about the clutch. It's not the DCT or bike's fault - it's the rider's fault. Having a transmission that is stall-proof and will NOT pull from you UNLESS you are on the throttle means it's even safer to deal with. Only if you have poor throttle control will you have an issue.

The friction zone is easily dealt with - drag the rear brake. You get the same results, guaranteed. It's how you do scooters and other automatic 2 wheel vehicles.

randy1149

I've imagined letting a Harley rider "try out" the DCT and it immediately flashed thru my mind of him/her "bliping" the throttle at a red light as they do all the time. I forgot to tell him/her not to do that or the bike will will accelerate and probably do a wheel and/or crash.

Who is the fault here, Me, the Harley person or the DCT bike?

Shanghai Dan

I've imagined letting a Harley rider "try out" the DCT and it immediately flashed thru my mind of him/her "bliping" the throttle at a red light as they do all the time. I forgot to tell him/her not to do that or the bike will will accelerate and probably do a wheel and/or crash.

Who is the fault here, Me, the Harley person or the DCT bike?

Harley guy... Any bike that needs to be "blipped" is a bike with a poor tune and timing!

That said, if you have the brakes applied - it won't blip much (to about 1200 RPM) and it won't move. You can easily overcome the DCT with the brake...

randy1149

Harley guy... Any bike that needs to be "blipped" is a bike with a poor tune and timing!

That said, if you have the brakes applied - it won't blip much (to about 1200 RPM) and it won't move. You can easily overcome the DCT with the brake...

Dan, my "blipping" the throttle post is a spoof of HD riders which has nothing to do with tune ups or timing. It is about HD riders with their involuntary, uncontrollable twisting of their right hand particularly when stopped at red lights or slow riding in parking lots. This phenomenon is further induced and associated with straight pipes that the rider is compelled to perform... that's the long and short of it.

Shanghai Dan

oh, I get it! I tease them that they have to blip or they'll stall... It's also about hearing their bike that they ride once every month for 3 hours on a Sunday... :)