New and driving myself crazy trying to decide

Woodswoman

Welcome, Reinbarb! Tell us, are you new to motorcycling? If not, what did you ride before, or what are you riding now?

Just my opinion: You're not taking a big risk buying a 2014 with so few miles. It's unlikely the bike was abused. Heck, at 3,700 miles it's barely broken in.

I'd ask the dealership if they sold this bike the original owner and if they serviced it. Should they say yes, I'd find that reassuring.

I see that this bike already has a tall windshield; most people who have the fairing model get one pronto, so there's a savings to you if you buy this machine. And I happen to think that asking price is fair.

~~~~

My husband and I disagree about whether to buy motorcycles brand new or used. He's all for brand new, every time; I'm willing to let somebody else take the initial hit for depreciation.

MJC

Super Moderator
hi. if you are looking for a ctx700 and not the dct model, then save some cash and get it used. that one in the link is ok, the only non stock item i see is a biger windshied. price at 5k seem hi to me, when you can get ctx700 used models (non dct) for $3500 to $4k with more add-ons. i have seen new 2015, 2016 for $4k. at dealerships.

If you want the dct model then used at a dealer or pivit seller with extra warrty would save you some cash. plan on sending a $1K more. New would be nice if you have the cash, but still get the extra warrty on the dct models.
juct my 2 cents, good luck to you anf let us know how you make out.

12MANY

Title says it all. In my area there are some 2014s, 2015s, the one I like is this one but I don’t know if I should get it or stay safe with a new one. Argh.
Help?
https://cumberlandcyclesmd.com/Mot...rland-MD-47cc7a8a-25d2-49e5-876b-a83200f43fa8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are currently three dealers in Maryland on Cycle Trader advertising brand new 2015 CTX 700’s for $4,999.00. Pete’s Cycle / Glen Burnie Motorsports / Honda Powersports of Crofton. All appear to be in blue. Although I think White looks the best for the exact same price a year newer blue one with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty straight from Honda and that new bike smell just cant be beat. A brand new one hasn’t seen a grain of road salt or corrosion underneath. The paint or anything rubber has not been exposed to any UV light to degrade them. Two brand new tires @ over $100.00 each and new o-ring chain and sprockets in pristine condition. You get where I am going here. For the same price you can get a new one that is in every way absolutely perfect and flawless. Then it is only goes down hill from there. Six months after you buy the used one you hear a funny noise coming from the engine and you worry how much is this going to cost me. On a new one, drop it off at the dealer and ask when can I get it back and also I expect a free wash and detail for my inconvenience.

https://www.cycletrader.com/motorcy...model=CTX|764949840&state=Maryland|MD&page=1&

ofdave

That used '14 for 4995 is way overpriced-think 4000 and closer to 3400 -3500 for a naked manual.
Buying used is OK if the maintenance has been done.
A 2014 is due for brake fluid flush and radiator flush based on age - not miles. If you pay for those to be done figure a couple hundred for that.
Unless you know for a fact it's been done recently, any used bike should get an oil change after it becomes yours.
And one over three years old should have all the fluids replaced.
That way you start maintaining it from a known point, not what someone said to make the sale.

Last edited:

reinbarb

hi. if you are looking for a ctx700 and not the dct model, then save some cash and get it used. that one in the link is ok, the only non stock item i see is a biger windshied. price at 5k seem hi to me, when you can get ctx700 used models (non dct) for $3500 to $4k with more add-ons. i have seen new 2015, 2016 for $4k. at dealerships.

If you want the dct model then used at a dealer or pivit seller with extra warrty would save you some cash. plan on sending a $1K more. New would be nice if you have the cash, but still get the extra warrty on the dct models.
juct my 2 cents, good luck to you anf let us know how you make out.

Thanks! That was really helpful. I don’t care about the DCT, it’s actually my right hand that has arthritis and gives me fits.

I have the day off from babysitting, so I’m off to the dealership. I hope they’ll give me the add ones for luggage I want for a decent price.

reinbarb

That used '14 for 4995 is way overpriced-think 4000 and closer to 3400 -3500 for a naked manual.
Buying used is OK if the maintenance has been done.
A 2014 is due for brake fluid flush and radiator flush based on age - not miles. If you pay for those to be done figure a couple hundred for that.
Unless you know for a fact it's been done recently, any used bike should get an oil change after it becomes yours.
And one over three years old should have all the fluids replaced.
That way you start maintaining it from a known point, not what someone said to make the sale.

Thank you!

reinbarb

Welcome, Reinbarb! Tell us, are you new to motorcycling? If not, what did you ride before, or what are you riding now?

Just my opinion: You're not taking a big risk buying a 2014 with so few miles. It's unlikely the bike was abused. Heck, at 3,700 miles it's barely broken in.

I'd ask the dealership if they sold this bike the original owner and if they serviced it. Should they say yes, I'd find that reassuring.

I see that this bike already has a tall windshield; most people who have the fairing model get one pronto, so there's a savings to you if you buy this machine. And I happen to think that asking price is fair.

~~~~

My husband and I disagree about whether to buy motorcycles brand new or used. He's all for brand new, every time; I'm willing to let somebody else take the initial hit for depreciation.

I currently ride a TW200, which I love. I rode a little Honda 125 when I was in the Army then didn’t ride at all when I was raising a family. Now that I’m a grandma, I started riding again last year. I even did some off road riding (surprised myself there - shout out to the TW200 forum, which is a wonderful group even though I am not a great rider.)

But with advancing arthritis, the TDub vibrates too much for trips longer than 2 hours, and even at that I’m maxed out on aspirin afterwards. The trouble is my right hand. I like shifting, but I’m often in sure I’m shifting at the proper times.

After all my research, the CTX seems perfect for me. The only problem is that I’m uncomfortable with my legs forward. Not being able to lift my butt out of the saddle for bumps and gravel is worrisome. Also I’m short. I have to point my toes to keep them on the pegs. If I relax my legs, they’ll slip down.

Thanks everyone for your help!

reinbarb

I currently ride a TW200, which I love. I rode a little Honda 125 when I was in the Army then didn’t ride at all when I was raising a family. Now that I’m a grandma, I started riding again last year. I even did some off road riding (surprised myself there - shout out to the TW200 forum, which is a wonderful group even though I am not a great rider.)

But with advancing arthritis, the TDub vibrates too much for trips longer than 2 hours, and even at that I’m maxed out on aspirin afterwards. The trouble is my right hand. I like shifting, but I’m often in sure I’m shifting at the proper times.

After all my research, the CTX seems perfect for me. The only problem is that I’m uncomfortable with my legs forward. Not being able to lift my butt out of the saddle for bumps and gravel is worrisome. Also I’m short. I have to point my toes to keep them on the pegs. If I relax my legs, they’ll slip down.

Thanks everyone for your help!

randy1149

You can bring your feet back with floorboards and 2" offsets and or a different saddle and the 2014 was the worse with forward feet. Honda came out with a different saddle to bring the rider forward in 2015 which you should get for the $4995.

And I agree $4995 is way overpriced for the 2014 with no DCT or ABS. IMHO DCT and ABS brings this bike to another level and especially for me and the people you explained to be.

burdicda

Choose the DCT with ABS otherwise you are just buying another motorcycle like all the rest....
Take one on a test ride...you will fall in love with the DCT.