Hello From Hudson Valley, New York

MJC

Super Moderator
Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 CTX700 DCT, just wanted to intro myself. Riding out of the Hudson Valley in NY. Bike is used but new to me, PO installed the Honda Hard Saddlebags and rear rack. I look forward to checking out this forum, doing mods to my bike and hopefully making new friends here. I come from a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad which was just too big for me and needed the DCT to continue riding. I have been riding over 35 years and like to think of myself has a big kid in a old body, my kids have grown up but not me. LOL. My wife says I am on the same level has the grand-kids, maybe the younger ones!

ofdave

welcome for sure!!
The Honda bags look pretty good.
Good choice to get away from the weight of the big Kawi. I'm sure you've noticed how much easier it is to move the CTX around at low speeds and in the garage.
This place isn't real busy but there are guys and gals here with good info to share.
You're never too old for toys! In fact you get old without them.

randy1149

mjc, I thought I was reading my biography with wife and grand-kids to boot. I live in lower Hudson (Yonkers), been riding since the late '60s, just came off an '09 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700. Had to move down a few notches it became just too big for me, and arthritis in my hands made pulling the clutch a game stopper. The CTX700 with DCT has put fun back into my riding. I've got the saddlebags, rear rack and top box on mine, I have some pix in the Gallery Here

Where abouts are you in the Hudson Valley, maybe we could eye ball or ride sometime.

Last edited:

Merlin III

As Randy said, your bio sounds like a lot of mine. Where in the Hudson Valley do you live? Pretty soon we will have enough CTXs in the Northeast for a get together.

MJC

Super Moderator
welcome for sure!!
The Honda bags look pretty good.
Good choice to get away from the weight of the big Kawi. I'm sure you've noticed how much easier it is to move the CTX around at low speeds and in the garage.
This place isn't real busy but there are guys and gals here with good info to share.
You're never too old for toys! In fact you get old without them.

Thank you ofdave. I have not picked up the bike yet, it is raining here and the bike is 400 miles away but next week for sure. We have talked before on other forum (not sure if I should say where) and you where one of the people who helped me make up my mind to get the CTX. I agree that you get old without toys. I would even say, if you have toys and still get old, you need more toy....thing is, you have to play with them. Play time starts May 11th!

MJC

Super Moderator
mjc, I thought I was reading my biography with wife and grand-kids to boot. I live in lower Hudson (Yonkers), been riding since the late '60s, just came off a Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1600. Had to move down a few notches it became just too big for me, and arthritis in my hands made pulling the clutch a game stopper. The CTX700 with DCT has put fun back into my riding. I've got the saddlebags, rear rack and top box on mine, I have some pix in the Gallery Here

Where abouts are you in the Hudson Valley, maybe we could eye ball or ride sometime.

Hello randy1149, I know Yonkers well, I went to Saunders Trade HS back in the day. Worked and lived in Westchester (and NYC) for 30 plus years. In 93 I moved just over the Putnam line into Dutchess. Hopewell Jct. is the town. I ride with a group called mid-hudson riders all over. You can check them out at midhudsonriders.com. I would like to ride with you and check out your bike and see the mods in-person, that would be a big help to me in seeing what I need to do, or not do. When the rain stops and the weather gets better I will PM you. BTW, nice bike and up-grades!

MJC

Super Moderator
As Randy said, your bio sounds like a lot of mine. Where in the Hudson Valley do you live? Pretty soon we will have enough CTXs in the Northeast for a get together.

Hello Merlin III, I am in the Mid Hudson Valley, Hopewell Jct. I would be down for a NE Get-together. I have been known to ride in your area, sometimes with the New England Riders, sometimes with my group the Mid Hudson Riders and sometimes alone just because...lol. If you have not, check out the New England Riders, they have a trip/ride coming up in my area. Maybe I will see you there? PM me when you are in my area and we can meet and ride.

MJC

Super Moderator
mjc, I thought I was reading my biography with wife and grand-kids to boot. I live in lower Hudson (Yonkers), been riding since the late '60s, just came off an '09 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700. Had to move down a few notches it became just too big for me, and arthritis in my hands made pulling the clutch a game stopper. The CTX700 with DCT has put fun back into my riding. I've got the saddlebags, rear rack and top box on mine, I have some pix in the Gallery Here

Hello randy1149. I know Yonkers well, I went to Saunders Trade HS back in the day. Lived and worked in Westchester for 30+
years. Moved in 93, just over the Putnam line into Dutchess, Hopewell Jct is the town. I ride with a group called the Mid Hudson Riders all over the valley. Check them out at midhudsonriders.com. I would like to meet and ride with you and will PM you when the weather gets better. I do like all the mods you have done to your bike, very nice!

Steven

Speaking about heavy bikes, yesterday I went for a ride in the country on one of the few nice roads around here and met up with a young couple on a Harley. Just before I pulled along side of them I watched the driver struggling to keep the bike vertical at the stop sign. That's one of the reasons I like the CTX so much, it's so easy to handle. The DCT is great!

Anyway, there are many mods that can be made to make the CTX better and more tailored to each individual. Myself, I want it to be a touring rig. I often find myself out in the country for long leisurely rides, and if everything goes right I want to take an extended trip out west next year.

Welcome!

randy1149

Welcome Steven. A lot of us came from the big touring machines, Goldwings, Voyagers... etc. as we aged we "grew" out of them, to something a little lighter. Over the years it seemed the seats kept getting higher as I kept getting older :confused: If you know what I mean.

I'm doing exactly what your starting to do, making a mini Goldwing touring bike. Saddlebags, top box, heated grips, larger windscreen... etc. The bike while marketed for beginners certainly makes it a perfect bike for some of us "Geriatric Angels".

Welcome again and enjoy the CTX.

MJC

Super Moderator
Steven, Welcome to you too! I just picked up a new to me CTX700 DCT, Friday, and I am just starting the mods to make it fit me. I have the 24" Windshield, rear rack, GPS/Phone holders and a leather River-Road bag on the rear rack, Honda saddlebags...all on the bike. I am working on getting a few more items. The PO had (new-never opened) heated grips, which I also picked up with the bike, but now I am thinking, I do not need them. I hate buying things on the fly, better to research and make sure I need things before buying...Any ways looking at hard trunks, radiant pipe, floorboards, and maybe raisers. I have to spend some time ON the bike to see what I need.....good luck with your mods!

MJC

Super Moderator
randy1149, "Geriatric Angels" I like that! If you did not get the heated grips yet, I may have a new set up for sale if you are interested.

randy1149

Thanks for the offer mjc but I've already installed Oxford Heaters that you can connect directly to the battery because they shut themselves off automatically after you turn the bike off. I've been using Oxford since my 2003 Wing with very good luck with their performance and reliability.

Steven

mjc and randy - I've toured a fair amount in my day, but mostly on liter bikes and it was wonderful. I never owned a large tourer, but I do realize the comfort they provide. I have ridden them for short rides. What I like about the CTX is that it's so easy to ride and while I would prefer a more touring orientated bike on a trip while on the open road, the CTX makes more sense to me once things get twisty or slow down. It's not that larger bikes can't do what the CTX does, it's that it's just easier on the CTX. I'ts give or take, either way.

Since I got my CTX I've added floor boards, windshield, throttle lock, LED headlights, center stand, and modded the shocks. Oh, and I just installed a Tomtom rider 400 GPS. I've got new shocks coming and will get the cartridge emulators for the front forks soon afterwards. I also plan on getting a Russel Day-Long seat and hard bags for the sides, I already have a top box. In addition, I plan on adding extra power connections for all my devices. I'm also thinking of having highway pegs installed.

I know it sounds like a huge investment for such a low price bike, but it will probably be the last bike I own and I won't ever sell it. I really like it!

Merlin III

mjc and randy - I've toured a fair amount in my day, but mostly on liter bikes and it was wonderful. I never owned a large tourer, but I do realize the comfort they provide. I have ridden them for short rides. What I like about the CTX is that it's so easy to ride and while I would prefer a more touring orientated bike on a trip while on the open road, the CTX makes more sense to me once things get twisty or slow down. It's not that larger bikes can't do what the CTX does, it's that it's just easier on the CTX. I'ts give or take, either way.

Since I got my CTX I've added floor boards, windshield, throttle lock, LED headlights, center stand, and modded the shocks. Oh, and I just installed a Tomtom rider 400 GPS. I've got new shocks coming and will get the cartridge emulators for the front forks soon afterwards. I also plan on getting a Russel Day-Long seat and hard bags for the sides, I already have a top box. In addition, I plan on adding extra power connections for all my devices. I'm also thinking of having highway pegs installed.

I know it sounds like a huge investment for such a low price bike, but it will probably be the last bike I own and I won't ever sell it. I really like it!

I came off a BMW R1150GS before buying the CTX. I loved the GS. I think it is the best bike ever made. However, for the same reasons as everyone else, I started to loose my confidence riding it. It was way too tall and top heavy for an older person. I liked the concept of the half a Honda Fit engine and the DCT. The seat height and center of gravity on the CTX is perfect for me. Right now, my only issue with it is the Tupperware and the amount of work it takes to just get the Tupperware off without breaking anything. I would love to have something like a Bonneville frame and gas tank with the CTX motor and DCT.

Steven

Yep, that tupperware is a PIA, but it looks good and as long as you're patient, it's not too bad to deal with. I think Honda should have made it like a car hood where you unlatch it, lean it forward and then have access to everything. I often receive accolades from people about how it looks which never happened with my previous bikes.