the bike you miss the most

randy1149

I'm really amazed the you folks riding the heavy bikes can be satisfied with the CTX.

I can't speak for anybody else, but the CTX is not one bike among others I have a selection to choose from. I have arthritis in my hands so pulling a clutch handle began to cause pain... a lot of pain. Then at my age and gravity, caused the disks in my spine to wear down and I lost almost 2" height and reduced my inseam to around 26". Then throw in the compromising of my equilibrium try riding a 900 lb. bike with a high center of gravity going 5 MPH in a parking lot... became nerve racking.

Your right, I'm not satisfied with a CTX700 with basically no comfy amenities that I had to be accustom to... it sucks. But the fact the CTX700 gives me maybe another 5 years of riding that my Vulcan Voyager 1700 could not do... is what I have to be happy for.

Based on your physical dimensions and your health... there WILL be a time when there WILL NOT be more time. The golden years are NOT golden by any stretch of imagination.

MJC

Super Moderator
I know, brother.

My husband had a 1600 Nomad. I adored it! It was everything I wanted in a touring cruiser. Trouble is, it didn't fit me at all. I couldn't comfortably reach the controls. That thing was built for someone much taller than I am. The layout of the 1500 was much more my size, which is why I tried it.

The Cross Roads was like a Nomad that I *could* ride!! :)

Hubby is now on a 1700 Vaquero. He came within a whisker of getting a Cross Country at Zach's, but Hudson Valley Cycle Center made him a deal on the Vaquero that he couldn't refuse.

P.S. I can ride the Vaquero. Kawasaki brought the controls closer in again. Sweet machine! Mike (my Mike) loves it.

When the Vaquero came out and for a few year after I had my eye on them, nice, I always thought (when I was riding my 1st 1600 Nomad) I would end up getting one, but passed because they just never rode right after adding pipes and other things I would have added on. Then got my 2nd 1600 Nomad and right after, My friend Ivan, comes out with a rewrite for the ecu that makes the Vaquero run all out great. If (your) Mike ever wants his Vaquero to run great, find Ivan over in Rockland, his bike will run has good if not better then a cross roads...If he does not have it done already, You should get him one for xmas, it is in July this year ya know lol.

MJC

Super Moderator
I can't speak for anybody else, but the CTX is not one bike among others I have a selection to choose from. I have arthritis in my hands so pulling a clutch handle began to cause pain... a lot of pain. Then at my age and gravity, caused the disks in my spine to wear down and I lost almost 2" height and reduced my inseam to around 26". Then throw in the compromising of my equilibrium try riding a 900 lb. bike with a high center of gravity going 5 MPH in a parking lot... became nerve racking.

Your right, I'm not satisfied with a CTX700 with basically no comfy amenities that I had to be accustom to... it sucks. But the fact the CTX700 gives me maybe another 5 years of riding that my Vulcan Voyager 1700 could not do... is what I have to be happy for.

Based on your physical dimensions and your health... there WILL be a time when there WILL NOT be more time. The golden years are NOT golden by any stretch of imagination.

I agree that it was the ctx700 dct or nothing (now there are some more models out), But for what the ctx700 is and the price, it is a very well made, basic, ride. I liked the looks of the ctx700 before I ever thought I would own one, so that was a plus. Riding in your Golden years will cost you all your Gold.

Steven

Yep, the golden years are not kind. I did most of my traveling when I was younger and I am glad for that.

I know it's not the same thing but the suspension mods I'm doing seems to be working out fine and with a new RDL seat, I think I can get some semblance of the riding comfort of a larger bike. Along with electrical improvements, I'll be adding some wind management and some highway pegs and I should be good to go. Of course I won't have a radio, cruise control, or a drink holder, oh well. I have wanted a smaller bike for years and the CTX is perfect for the kind of riding I now do. The cool thing is that it's even competent at highway speeds. I do love this thing.

The other day when I was riding out in the country all alone I went mostly about 30 or 35 mph and was happy as a lark. I've never had a bike that felt that good doing that. There's something about the CTX that just feels right and is very relaxing. I suppose that for me, it's not a compromise. I still admire other bikes like the FJR or the Goldwing (and more), but I wouldn't trade my CTX for them. I'm one really happy camper.

randy1149

Steve, it was my short comings not the bikes I choose the CTX. I really like the CTX it is the easiest bike I've ever ridden. However I don't but it in the class as a GWing or a Voyager. Honestly the CTX is bare bones when it comes to amenities.

The CTX could just be Hondas "testing the water" on DCT's with low priced bikes. They did market it as a beginners bike, and never thought it would catch with the "old farts" market like me. I'm not the only one in the "old fart market" this bike caught on.

Steven

You're absolutely right it's completely outclassed by those other bikes. I've always wanted a 500lb Goldwing, but that animal doesn't exist. The original Goldwing was about 600 lbs and if I could have gotten one of those new, I think I would be really temped. I've never owned one of the larger bikes and I suppose that the CTX looks like a toy to those that do.

The other day I was looking at cars and there are many with the DCT and not all of them are Honda's. I think it would be safe to say that eventually the DCT will come to the larger bikes. According to one website the Goldwing is slated for the DCT. Imagine a Goldwing trike wit it. That would be perfect.

I'm really sorry about your problems, but, like you said, at least you're riding.

J&Jcf

love the one i am with

I really don't miss the bikes I have had. I miss some of the features & the performance of the past bikes I owned. I have owned over 24 different bikes over the years. I got rid of them for different reasons. Wanted more power,performance,& comfort. Never had more than 2 bikes at a time. One to ride & usually one to work on in prep for sale. The last bikes l had prior to the
ctx was 1500 suzuki intruder for touring & a 250 suzuki for running errands around town. Liked the grunt & comfort of big cruiser but disliked weight,mpg & clutch performance. The 250 was bullet proof & easy maintenance & great move but had performance issues due to lack of power. Also got tired of maintaining tires,batterys & 2 bikes in general. Also plates & insurance. I was looking for one bike that would meet most of my needs. It was between a suzuki 650 vstrom & the ctx. I was original looking at the n aked ctx. The suzuki was a little tall for me even though I have a 34 inch inseam. Then I spotted the ctx on craigs list in Asheville NC where we were headed to camp. Saw it rode it liked it. It had 1200 miles & warranty still active for 3 months. It already had the Honda rack, 22 in cb windshield ,& large floorboards.ended up buying it for $5250. Mod it out to meet needs.

ofdave

@j&jcf
was your 250 Suzuki the TU250?
had one for a month, bought it to help a guy who needed the money
fuel injected and dependable, had fun with it while I had it but a tad underpowered for busy streets

J&Jcf

No it was a GZ . cruiser look. Your right about being in traffic.I had to run the crap out of it to keep out of the way. It was a single cylinder and very buzzy. I called it my 25 mile bike because that was about how long I could stand to ride it. Mpg was 85. Used it only to run very close errands (5 miles ).

gregsfc

I always wanted to steal Fred Hayes, custom made, steamlined, 667 cc mechanically-injected, single cylinder, naturally-aspired diesel motorcycle. He built it to look much cooler and lower slung than the 250 steamliners, the latter constructed of milk carton material; his was some kind of metal alloy. He had to tuck to create the actual streamline effect, but that meant he could come up for air where the others were always in their bubbles. He could run it on jet fuel, diesel, biodiesel, or regular dino-diesel. He could get 160 mpg in Vetter Challenges and beat the best-performing 250s most times, and I'm sure since the military-outfitted KTR650 version with that diesel engine could get 102 mpg; I could get 120+ commuting. It was a rough running son of gun though; pretty crude sounding machine. No pilot injection or anything to smooth out or quieten the sound, but lightweight and low compression for a diesel, as it was purposely designed for a motorcycle, which is the reason it was NA and mechanically injected. Peak power at or about 31 and peak torque at or about 35 at, I think, around 3000 RPM.

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/press/vetter-may-3-2013-thumb2.jpg