Aftermarket rear Shock Modification

Steven

I do like that you can fit a socket wrench on these new ones. I think that if you need more compression you might be able to install a few washers under the adjusters during assembly and then crank it down. Just an idea.

Good luck.

J&Jcf

On previous bikes I have put in progressive front fork springs. They greatly improved the performance of the front suspension. They do exacting as described. Stiffing as they compress. Eliminated the excessive dive on the bikes I installed them on. I have not checked on availability or pricing. So far the ride has been acceptable for me. I am 240 lbs & + 125 lbs with 2 up. I have had the ctx on the BRP with 2 up and bike did fine. The BRP is usually kept in good condition. It would be nice to have a rear shock with some easy adjustability like some of my previous bikes.

Steven

I just copied my post from the other site for those not there....

I upgraded my shock because while the oem did fine on decent roads, things like recessed manhole covers would be jarring. Now I don't feel them and for the very worst of them, it's still a much smoother transition across them. On even steeper bumps, it still isn't perfect, but by then the front end can't keep up and hops over them. The forks are the next upgrade.

It would be nice to have a smooth ride over every road condition, but I guess that isn't possible.

BTW, I have my bike very softly sprung because a good ride is more important than handling to me. I don't push the bike hard, so it still handles well enough.

I have noticed that on more square edged bumps the front end can't move fast enough so it acts like it has locked up and the front end just bounces over them. That in itself is one thing, but I can't help feeling that when it does, more weight is transferred to the rear shock compressing it and before it can rebound, the rear tire hits the bump and compresses even more. The ride aside, this seems to make the bike kind of rock back to front. I'm hoping that the cartridge emulator upgrade will mitigate this behavior.

Last edited:

ofdave

The "gonzo mod" as noted on another forum really helped my situation and might work as an inexpensive alternate for others. I wish gonzo would join here and post the mod he developed.
Am soon going to do the fork preload adjusters steven suggested.