Honda Rebel-CTX 700 comparison

80mpg

Hello CTX owners!
I am new to this forum, thank you for the opportunity and everyone's time and input.

My first bike is my current Honda Rebel and it has been a great fun little economizer commuter bike. I am considering the CTX 700 as my next bike.
I am curious if any of our CTX owners have ridden the rebel and could give me some input on ease of riding the CTX 700 in comparison to the Rebel.
I am a short rider 5'7" so when I am on the CTX it seems so much bigger and heavier and harder to see the road directly in front.
In comparison to the Rebel I can look down and see my tire on the road and everything around me instantly.

How is the ride on the CTX 700-also I have never dropped my Rebel and I can throw it around, it is so nimble. The CTX is a little heavier, however I have read great reviews on it.

25,000 Honda Rebel miles

80mpg

randy1149

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had a Rebel years ago for one of my kids so I'm familiar with the bike.

Coming from a Rebel 250 you won't find a better transition up to a larger bike than a CTX700. I can say this with absolute certainty it is without a doubt the easiest motorcycle in it's class to ride. With it's very low center of gravity, seat height of 28" and nimble characteristic's it seems to fit the bill for your requirements. If anything else it's agility and ease to ride are it's strongest characteristics. Honda designed the CTX specifically for beginner riders, although it also fits the need of some of us "Geriatric Angels" also.

If you choose the DCT w/ ABS (which I recommend) you might find the CTX even easier than the Rebel to ride. In my years of transitioning to a new bike I've always had a "learning curve" going from one bike to another, the CTX has been the easiest.

There's tons of reviews on the internet... check out the videos on Youtube also.

Merlin III

I have not ridden the Rebel, but I have sat on one. I have ridden a comparable bike, the Suzuki Savage which is a 650 single cylinder bike. At 5'-7", you shouldn't have any trouble sitting on the CTX and clearly seeing the road ahead. Handling the CTX will be an easy transition from the Rebel. Within a week or two on the CTX, you will be as confident on it as you are on the Rebel.

So, if you than "throw around" a Rebel, the CTX is the natural next progression.

MJC

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forum! Back in the day when I was teaching people how to ride, we had a few Honda Rebel's. Many would ask after passing the course what bike they should get. I would say, If you where happy on the Rebel get one of them and they would say "But the bike is so small, I will out grow it". And I would say "The size or the size of the engine has nothing to do with riding, it has to be a bike you feel at home on, that you have to feel that the bike can do what you want it to do for the type of riding you think you will be doing". The skills you have learned will help you control the bike but you must feel that the bike is controllable. A too small bike will be the same has a bike that is too big or heavier, it will stop you from learning and improving your riding skills. I would say, make a list of what type of riding you will be doing, next go sit on bikes that you think would be good for the type of riding you want to do. Next research each bike. Some bikes are easier to ride then others by design. Weight ratio to frame size is something to think about, if a bike is light for it's size that is a good thing. If the bike has a low center of gravity, if the bike is well balanced, meaning that the weight of the bike is not too much on one wheel then the other. The side to side weight should also be even. If you sit on a bike, off the kick stand (can you get it off of it), do you feel in control? What if the wind blows (hard) can you stop it from falling over? What if you are on a hill, can you hold the brake and stop it from rolling without thinking about dumping it? On a bike that is too small you would be able to man-handle it, on a bike that is too big you would dump it. If you feel comfortable that you can hold it up (at a stop) and feel that you can ride it (now) and in the future you can bring out the best in the bike has you bring your riding skills to a higher level, that should be the bike for you. Seems that you have taken your Rebel to its limits after 25K miles, if you have also taken your riding skills to a higher level, go for it. I agree with randy1149, you won't find a better transition up to a larger bike than a CTX700. I have the CTX700, DCT, after 35 plus years of riding, many bikes, years of learning and developing skills to ride better, I find this bike fun to ride, great to learn on, and I still have not found this bikes limits. I have found mine, LOL.

Woodswoman

Welcome to the Forum! Back in the day when I was teaching people how to ride, we had a few Honda Rebel's. Many would ask after passing the course what bike they should get. I would say, If you where happy on the Rebel get one of them and they would say "But the bike is so small, I will out grow it". And I would say "The size or the size of the engine has nothing to do with riding, it has to be a bike you feel at home on, that you have to feel that the bike can do what you want it to do for the type of riding you think you will be doing". The skills you have learned will help you control the bike but you must feel that the bike is controllable. A too small bike will be the same has a bike that is too big or heavier, it will stop you from learning and improving your riding skills. I would say, make a list of what type of riding you will be doing, next go sit on bikes that you think would be good for the type of riding you want to do. Next research each bike. Some bikes are easier to ride then others by design. Weight ratio to frame size is something to think about, if a bike is light for it's size that is a good thing. If the bike has a low center of gravity, if the bike is well balanced, meaning that the weight of the bike is not too much on one wheel then the other. The side to side weight should also be even. If you sit on a bike, off the kick stand (can you get it off of it), do you feel in control? What if the wind blows (hard) can you stop it from falling over? What if you are on a hill, can you hold the brake and stop it from rolling without thinking about dumping it? On a bike that is too small you would be able to man-handle it, on a bike that is too big you would dump it. If you feel comfortable that you can hold it up (at a stop) and feel that you can ride it (now) and in the future you can bring out the best in the bike has you bring your riding skills to a higher level, that should be the bike for you. Seems that you have taken your Rebel to its limits after 25K miles, if you have also taken your riding skills to a higher level, go for it. I agree with randy1149, you won't find a better transition up to a larger bike than a CTX700. I have the CTX700, DCT, after 35 plus years of riding, many bikes, years of learning and developing skills to ride better, I find this bike fun to ride, great to learn on, and I still have not found this bikes limits. I have found mine, LOL.

This ^^ is Buddha wisdom.

Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted about your thoughts, and your decision.

ofdave

I think you'll be fine.
Just take your time and ride where there is no traffic until you get comfortable. Walk the bike around in the driveway to get used to the extra weight.
here's a site that will show you how you fit on the CTX and you can pull up the Rebel and compare.
http://cycle-ergo.com/