Heel shifter available for 6 speeds??

BobWitte

Today's the day....

I've finished my instruction manual. It is 6 pages long (don't be scared, the text is peppered with photographs -- 6 in all so far with more to come). I've held off publication knowing that one of the local guys, Dennis, wanted to come over and get his today. He is on his way over here right now even as I post this.

I'll install his heel shifter for him while he is here, including cutting the path in his tupperware. That way I can have him take some photos and videos which will certainly go a long way to making sure that you folks will have a successful installation.

I'm not sure how hard it will be to put the video pieces together, but the manual itself should be available later today. I'll post it here. ;)

BobWitte

I've finished my instruction manual. It is 6 pages long (don't be scared, the text is peppered with photographs -- 6 in all so far with more to come). I've held off publication knowing that one of the local guys, Dennis, wanted to come over and get his today. He is on his way over here right now even as I post this.

I'll install his heel shifter for him while he is here, including cutting the path in his tupperware. That way I can have him take some photos and videos which will certainly go a long way to making sure that you folks will have a successful installation.

I'm not sure how hard it will be to put the video pieces together, but the manual itself should be available later today. I'll post it here. ;)

Dennis left awhile ago. The good news/bad news/same news is that we discovered that the heel lever design for the floorboards will not work with the stock pegs! No way, Jose!

So I'm re-doing the installation manual to reflect that. So I need to scout up a helper to finish the video review of a standard installation and an easy way to cut the Tupperware. Work has gotten in the way again, so I can't promise to have everything ready today. Hopefully tomorrow at the latest.

Dorothea

CTX700 heel/toe shifter

I called after lunch and the word from the vendor was that the parts were being powder coated this afternoon and will be ready tomorrow.

Hello Bob, I don't know if you tried to connect with me or not.
Just wanted to express my continued interest in this.
Thanks

Dorothea

BobWitte

Hello Bob, I don't know if you tried to connect with me or not.
Just wanted to express my continued interest in this.
Thanks

Dorothea
No, I've not reached out to those interested yet. And yes, you remain on my contact list.

And as an update, again, we failed to install on a stock foot peg bike today. This means that no body with stock foot pegs should buy this heel shift lever. Such a lever could be designed, but this one cannot be made to work on OEM stock foot pegs.

I did however get the additional photos I wanted and amazingly, I was able to make two 3 minute videos. They both seemed to work out pretty good. I used a single view tripod setup in each so it was a stable picture. I'm also a loudmouth so the audio was okay. I'll see about finishing the written instructions first and then what it will take to do the video (not my cheese I assure you!).

I also found out that there is a limited flat rate service to Canada that I want to run down. Typical the $7 item domestically seems to be $24.90 to Canada. And with the sucko design of the USPS website (shades of Healthcare.gov!!) I'm not 100% sure if that's US or Canadian dollars. I need to research that a bit more.

BobWitte

Okay, the final Heel Shifter Kit pricing is $59 for USA deliveries and $78 (USD) for Canadian addresses. Payment will be in response to PayPal invoices I will send you back from my [email protected] account. So if you want to start the process, please email me at that address and provide me with a shipping address and we'll get you started.

I will send you an invoice to your regular email address and upon receipt of your PayPal payment will ship out your kit via US Postal Flat Rate. Arrival to USA addresses is usually within 2 days; and Lord only knows the day & hour of the arrival to Canadian addresses (but then you folks are used to that!)

In case you missed it on the forum, here is the link to the Heel Shifter Manual: http://magic-pc.net/CTX700/CTX700HeelShifterManual.pdf . Be sure you look it over before actually ordering a kit so you know what the kit has for you and what's entailed in putting it on.

As promised earlier, I've uploaded two crude videos to show (1) the installation of the shift lever itself: http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/InstallShifter.mp4

And next is the video of one way to trim the tupperware that covers the gearshift: http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/TrimTupperware.mp4

randy1149

Bob, I've got a DCT so I don't need a heel/toe shifter but I've been following your progress developing the heel/toe shifter. Lots of kudos to you for your professional approach on every angle of your heel/toe accessory. From the product, instructions and videos are top notch. Great job.

BobWitte

Bob, I've got a DCT so I don't need a heel/toe shifter but I've been following your progress developing the heel/toe shifter. Lots of kudos to you for your professional approach on every angle of your heel/toe accessory. From the product, instructions and videos are top notch. Great job.

Thanks Randy. I'm a product of parents who lived thru the Depression and helped win WW2. Old school work ethics are just a part of me -- I can't help it!

I processed the first kit to Canada yesterday. That process included a trip to the Post Office where I learned about the obscure classifications and rules involved. That forced a complete do-over on that first order, but resulted in a lowering of the Canadian's cost down to a total of $66.00, a $12.00 savings.

Another half dozen sales and my raw production costs will be covered. Even selling them all won't cover my labor costs, but then I didn't do this to make money. The CTX is my main hobby so I derived pleasure and satisfaction from doing the project.

Here's hoping the few that get the shifter will like it as much as I and my friend Dan. Dan lives in the next county and did extensive field testing of the prototype on his CTX. Thanks again Dan!

Last edited:

BobWitte

Not wanting to hijack anything, I moved this post over from another swamp so I could share the following: I made some adjustments to my personal installation that I thought I'd post for future reference. I moved the front toe lever way down with just enough space for me to slip my foot under in case I'd ever need to. That changed the angle of the heel shifter which was positioned and drilled for a more "standard" installation. I also am testing out a set of small, 5.7" Kuryakyn floorboards. I rather like them and may just keep them for the long haul.

I took the path of least resistance and notched the heel lever to bring it into the position I wanted rather than doing a bunch of welding and drilling. I'm also running without any rear peg finding that I prefer just a slight lift & a twist of my foot to engage the lever. The lever has a stout powder coating and should hold up just fine in the long run.

I tried uploading pictures directly, but the forum won't allow it because of size. So I loaded them on one of my websites. The picture links below tell the tale better than my blathering:

http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/SmallKuryOverhead.jpg
http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/NotchedLever.jpg
http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/SmallBoardSideShot.jpg

randy1149

Back into none of my business again, but I don't ever remember seeing a bike with foot pegs having a toe/heel shifter... FROM THE MANUFACTURER. I would think it could be dangerous getting your foot caught in between peg and shifter.

BobWitte

Back into none of my business again, but I don't ever remember seeing a bike with foot pegs having a toe/heel shifter... FROM THE MANUFACTURER. I would think it could be dangerous getting your foot caught in between peg and shifter.
Sure it's your business, that's what a discussion forum is all about! However, you could very well be too young to know this, but most of the long defunct Italian Moto Parilla's had a factory heel/toe and none of them had boards. Even my 1957 98cc Fauna came that way and it was then that I learned to appreciate the design. I think their 175cc & 250cc road racers had them too. I seem to remember other Italian "road racers" were similarly configured although specific brands escape me at the moment.

Here's a link to an exact copy of the one I owned so long ago:

http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/98ccParilla.jpg

Last edited:

randy1149

Sure it's your business, that's what a discussion forum is all about! However, you could very well be too young to know this, but most of the long defunct Italian Moto Parilla's had a factory heel/toe and none of them had boards. Even my 1957 98cc Fauna came that way and it was then that I learned to appreciate the design. I think their 175cc & 250cc road racers had them too. I seem to remember other Italian "road racers" were similarly configured although specific brands escape me at the moment.

Here's a link to an exact copy of the one I owned so long ago:

http://www.magic-pc.net/CTX700/98ccParilla.jpg

Well live and learn... BTW regarding my "youth", I've circumvented the solar orbit 77 times. I can fart dust!

BobWitte

Bob,

Count me in. Do you have a drawing? If so please post.

Thx
Mike

Mike: No, I don't have the drawing (my vendor has it), but if you go back one page of this thread and check out Post #26, there are several links to PDF & videos that should answer your questions.