Tires

MJC

Super Moderator
I have the stock Metzler tires on my 2014 ctx700 dct now and if I keep riding it the way I have this past month, I am going to need new tires. Was thinking of using Avon tires, what is everyone using?

ofdave

There is a lot of positive feedback on Michelin Pilot Road 4's
Had them on 2 other bikes and they are a great tire. and priced accordingly
I went with Shinko 005 the last time. Local independent stocks them at real good prices and sells a bunch.
I know several who use them.
Are they Pilot 4 comparable?-no.
But I got front and rear, installed, balanced & tax for 265 bucks.
So far they are doing OK, about 2000 mi. maybe not as soft a ride as the Michelins. They stick well but I don't scrape pegs very often anymore.
Pilot 4 may be the best.

Steven

I went to Michelin Pilot Road 4's and am very happy with them. They make the bike handle great. They're supposed to be better in the rain, but I haven't ridden in the rain except once and I didn't notice any different than riding in the dry. Of course I ride conservatively in the rain as a safety measure. I have about 3,000 on them and I can see some wear, but very little.

randy1149

For what it's worth? Dennis Kirk now has a free mounting service for any tires for your bike. For me in my neck of the woods that's around $50-$100. DK has been an A+ experience with my last couple of purchase, with low price and free shipping. Now with free mounting I'll try them again. No I don't work or have any $$$$ relationship with them.

Downshifter

when i caught 2 screws in the rear tire, I wanted pirelli's, but got a great price on the pilot 4's from bike bandit, so went with them, and havent regretted it for a single mile. They feel much more stable then the original metzlers did, and i have been using metzlers on my Valkyrie for 12 years...

Jim.....

MJC

Super Moderator
About how many miles do the Pilot 4's last? I read reviews and I think about 8K to 10K is what people are saying, but I want to know, how many miles they last on a ctx700. The Metzlers I have (stock) on there now are just about at their wear marks, I only put 3K miles on the bike in the past two months of riding. I used Avon tires on other bikes and would get 14K to 15K on a 800+ pound (Vulcan Nomad) so I would think they could go 15K on a CTX700, plus they are about $75 cheaper then the Pilot 4's. I have not read anywhere of anyone using Avons on a CTX700, I would hate to be the 1st and not be happy. The P-4's do have great reviews. It is too hot here in July for me to ride so I have til Aug, end of Aug to get tires. Or I could slow down my riding...NO that is not going to happen..lol.

Steven

This might help... These are the RP4's with a little over 3k+ miles on them. The tires are dirty because I was riding in the rain with them.

IMG_6503-1.jpg

Downshifter

The Avon tires are made of a harder compound, which is great on an 800 pound cruiser it allows the tires to last a bit longer with minimal notice of wet weather traction due to the weight of the bike. On a bike as light in comparison as the CTX is, I would venture to guess that they would not stick to the road quite as well as the Metzlers or the Pilots. I used the Avons on my Valkyrie once, and too them of after just about 6K miles and went back to the Metzlers.

I was also mistaken in my earlier post, my CTX came with Bridgestones on it, so i do not have any knowledge of how the Metzlers will handle on this bike. I just went with the pilot 4's based on so many rave reviews. When it comes to tires for my bike with the way i can ride at times, I dont base it entirely on cost unless there is a huge difference with little gain...

Jim.....

J&Jcf

Rear Metzler carcass separations

In April found rear tire flat in garage. Upon inspection found tire separations on tire at sidewall meets tread. Tire would not hold air long. I am a constant tire pressure checker. Found others that had similar issues with the Metzler's on the ctx. I would not use them again on the ctx. Needed replacements. From previous information I started checking around & online for tires. Cycle gear had continentals on special. Both installed with stainless steel stems + tax for under $250. Continentals are made by Michelin & rated very well on line. They were available & other brands would have to wait for shipping. You have to remove wheels/tires from bike & take to cycle gear. Bike was back on road in two days. Have about 750 miles on them so far and seem to perform as well as originals . The contis seem to hold pressure more consistently but that could also be due to the new stems. Time will tell on tread wear. I have changed plenty of tubed tires on bikes but tubeless tires on cast rims are more prone to damage to the rim unless you have the proper equipment. I don't so I won't. I have tire spoons only. Cycle gear charges $25 per tire if purchased from them & that includes balancing. $50 per tire if you buy others. In addition, I am not a high mileage user.

MJC

Super Moderator
hello all if I wanted to go with wider (fatter) tires what size would I go with

Welcome to the forum PoloQuen. From looking at the tires and how they sit on the bike I would think you could go maybe 3/8" wider in rear and 1/4" wider in front. I do not know what size tire that would be, but using this site, you should be able to find the size:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos?avad=55963_b337e03f
Just put the stock size tire info in on the right, and keep changing the tire info on the left side til you get one the with you want. At the bottom is the difference of the two tires. I was think of using a taller front tire but have not looked into it yet.

ofdave

@Pologueen
be very careful with upsizing, especially the front
tires expand as they heat and grow taller-I had one size up on a Honda 750 nighthawk and at 65 mph after a few miles the front tire grew and rubbed the fender. At low speeds it didn't get warm enough.
I was told this by an old timer at the dealer and I just knew he was wrong. 300 miles later-he wasn't.
I had near 3/8" between the tire and the fender when cold-it still rubbed after it got hot.

gregsfc

As a not-so-veteran rider, I soon shopped for and learned about mc tires; I wanted tires that would outlast my Battlax's, because getting new tires is a hassle. I didn't know about the need for tires for lighter bikes to be stickier than for big, heavy tourers and cruisers until I started researching and realized that such a set of tires wouldn't be safe even if they made touring tires in the CTX size. I then fell upon the Avons that promise to offer 20K and good traction, but I noticed they didn't have many reviews and so not many sells as compared to some Dunlops, Metzlers, Perelli's (forgive my spelling), and Michelins. The reviews I did find had one person state that they were the worst tires they had ever owned on wet pavement.

Over and over, the best reviews, overall kept coming back to Michelin P4s although some reviewers said they couldn't tell a difference between them and the previously-engineered and still available, P3s. I've got new P4s; can't tell a lick of difference in performance to the Battlax's, but I'm not an aggressive rider, so I wouldn't know in the extremes. I hoping for longer tread wear. I got 9,000 out of the rear with the Battlax, so I don't even know if that's possible. But my theory is paying $40 more for the longest lasting, safe tire is worth it. But only time will tell if I've truly got a longer lasting tire. Reviewers say so, but reviewers get 59 mpg and I get 76, so I don't think we do the same kind of riding.

ofdave

Have had PR 4s on 2 bikes, big and little V stroms.
Have never had good luck with Bridgestone's-original on both/
Had poor results with the Bridgestone's on my CTX (5590 mi. on the rear)
I don't ride aggressive but I do accelerate strongly and downshift a lot. I think that is my problem. I do not rear brake.
Got Shinko 005 on now because they were cheap. What I had in my wallet covered them. They are quiet and stick well though.
They are not lasting well, 3200 mi. on them and more than 3/4 worn on the rear.
Next set will be PR 4s-no question

Merlin III

WTF! During my pre-touring check of the bike, I noticed my front tire looks ill. To be honest, I have never seen anything like this before. I have about 2500 miles on the bike. I have never had this style of tire before. Is this type of wear normal? Any comments or observations?
View attachment 271

Last edited:

Merlin III

tire.jpgHmmm................It worked when I previewed it? I'll try again. Maybe I am over reacting, but I do quite a few curves.

Steven

It's called cupping/scalloping and seems to be normal on a great many tires. I had the same thing happen with my Metzeler tires, I don't notice it so far with the RP4's. You can look it up, but the general consensus is that it's normal and not an issue.

On the other hand, I can't be real sure, but it seems like most of the wear is in on spot on the tire.

Last edited:

ofdave

it's scalloping, the common cause is under inflation. There are others. Balancing -not usually, bead not seated evenly all the way around-sometimes; axle not straight-not likely, especially on our single pinch bolt CTX.
I don't think you can cure it-ride till it bothers you and replace. Keep the pressure up, 36 min.-38 better.
It is common, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.
What brand of tire?
When you get it leaned over you will feel it squiggle as it goes over the high edge to the side-don't let it surprise you.

Merlin III

The tire performs well. I just don't like the looks of it. They are the stock Bridgestone tires. Thanks all for the informative comments.