This could be a good forum

ofdave

We are on the way.
All good suggestions and they show we share a love for bikes first-then our CTXs.
My issue with the other place is mis-information being posted as gospel.
I have had posts deleted and whole threads deleted because I called a poster for BS. It was a god/mod with an ego so my posts were deleted. He repeatedly would not provide back up to his statements when asked, choosing instead to delete my posts. Deleted and altered posts happened other guys now on this forum.
I don't see that happening here. I don't think BS from me would go unchecked and I know I would call someone out if they did the same.
I do wish there were an "other bikes" thread. The stormtroopers forum has an "Off topic and member therapy" thread as well as "other bikes". It makes for some good conversation and the ability to be exposed to different machines. Haven't noticed name calling or sore feelings either-just good chat.
I see that being the way of life here.

randy1149

We are on the way.
All good suggestions and they show we share a love for bikes first-then our CTXs.
My issue with the other place is mis-information being posted as gospel.
I have had posts deleted and whole threads deleted because I called a poster for BS. It was a god/mod with an ego so my posts were deleted. He repeatedly would not provide back up to his statements when asked, choosing instead to delete my posts.
Deleted and altered posts happened other guys now on this forum.
I don't see that happening here. I don't think BS from me would go unchecked and I know I would call someone out if they did the same.
I do wish there were an "other bikes" thread. The stormtroopers forum has an "Off topic and member therapy" thread as well as "other bikes". It makes for some good conversation and the ability to be exposed to different machines. Haven't noticed name calling or sore feelings either-just good chat.
I see that being the way of life here.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head of WHY this forum has gotten traction. The discussion and opinions of arguments and opposing view of members goes all with ALL types of forums not only MC's. I don't think having an "Off Topic" section would make the forum any healthy... it certainly can be an incubator of very bad relationships among members. The argumentative overtones between members will be carried over into the MC sections of the forum, that's people and that's NOT healthy for the forum. I'm sorry a well controlled forum does NOT need thick skinned people. That's what mods are supposed to control. If you want to come here and personally rag on another member, you don't belong here.

I also believe in majority rules. Let's run a poll for or against then let 'er rip. If we do have an"Off Topic" the rules of personal attacks should STILL be applied with strong penalties.

ofdave

Randy, I wonder if you read too much into an off topic section, at least more than what I meant.
I concur with your previous comments about no political, religious and the like. That is a must.
What I am suggesting is a place where you can ask about your garage lighting, a car/truck, cooking, gardening, etc., etc.
here's a link with samples of what I mean-notice there are no political or religious topics.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/off-topic-member-therapy/

randy1149

Dave, my apologize and I'm not opposition to your recommendations... I have absolutely no opposition for an Off Topics with the typical subjects you mentioned. My concern is allowing those subjects and acceptance we all know of and which has made that "other" forum into a sewer.

I do NOT want to be a member of a forum that its members must be thick skinned to feel free to post without being personal attacks from other members. PERSONAL ATTACKING AND BULLYISM IS THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY MEMBERS DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN A FORUM. It's natural there will always be different opinions on anything, and nothing wrong with opposing opinions but... members should not have to worry about being bombarded with personal attacks.

I do support keeping well known topics off the forum that trigger immediate viral opposition and subsequent member division.

Last edited:

DevilsFan

Randy, ya gotta let people be who they are sometimes!
Just from my experience - the forums that build relationships and last a long time are the ones where an "Off Topic" section is present and the rules are very loose in that section. Of course there will be some turmoil, arguments, pictures of half-naked chicks on motorcycles, and a few political/religious rants. Some things can be controlled or "moderated" but members are going to want to discuss something other than the CTX on occasion. And again, so as long as people aren't PERSONALLY ATTACKING OTHER MEMBERS some things should be taken with a grain of salt. But I'd be willing to bet that the number of threads in an "Off Topic" section will surely outweigh the number of threads in others.
Think of any family or group of friends...do you only talk about ONE THING all of the time? That's how people get to know each other and WANT to stay on the forum. If you limit the discussions to motorcycles only then people will get bored and move on to other sites. And that's how "Friends" meet, mostly from a common reason, then it builds into something else.
Or, for example, the CTX is new and we are just learning about it. But, should I own my CTX for another 5 years there will be a point in time where I have said just about anything there is to say on the CTX and will enjoy other conversations with the same group of members on this forum.
Also, now that I think about it, a CTX forum will be limited to the amount of CTX's owned. In other words, if the CTX doesn't continue to sell then, obviously, there will be less members. The Stormtrooper forum is strong as it's a very popular motorcycle, has been around for many years and has built up a decent reputation. The CTX isn't quite there...yet!

Just my $.02! :D

randy1149

DevlisFan, I have no problem with Off Topics as long as it has rules to maintain civility in both the topics and members behavior. This forum like all forums are NOT a democracy. They do not have to have an open OK Coral anything goes posting and let anybody say anything to or about anybody else, no matter where it's plunked into the forum and bad blood relationships born in the Off Topics will surely migrate to all the other topics. Creating an Off Topic section because other popular forums have one is no assurance it will work on any other forum... class rules.

Out of control personal pissing contests between members is exactly what is going on on that "other" forum and the mods are leading the pack.... THAT forum is out of control and pissing off members and is exactly why some of us are here, with one mod posting his political views on every single post. Does that a$$hole know how many people his pissing off? I don't want this forum to turn in the same direction and have members find out they just moved into another $hit hole out of control forum on their motorcycles.

As far as topics in the "Off Topic", I would ban all political postings of any kind, if you want to tell the world about your political views go join a Political Forum and you can tell them about your CTX700 in the "Off Topic" section. :eek:

We are chatting all this without the Admin of this forum. It's his forum and he can take in anywhere he wants, that's one of the abilities when it's not a democracy. I'll support anything (even nothing) he decides.

Merlin III

.... THAT forum is out of control and pissing off members and is exactly why some of us are here, with one mod posting his political views on every single post. Does that a$$hole know how many people his pissing off? I don't want this forum to turn in the same direction and have members find out they just moved into another $hit hole out of control forum on their motorcycles.

As far as topics in the "Off Topic", I would ban all political postings of any kind, if you want to tell the world about your political views go join a Political Forum and you can tell them about your CTX700 in the "Off Topic" section. :eek:

We are chatting all this without the Admin of this forum. It's his forum and he can take in anywhere he wants, that's one of the abilities when it's not a democracy. I'll support anything (even nothing) he decides.
My Answers:
1. Yes, he knows he is pissing off members and enjoys it.
2. It may not be a democracy and it is clearly owned by the owners of the site, but if you use the corporate model, we are the stock holders. If the Admin doesn't do a good job, we will bail on him.

DevilsFan

Randy and Merlin...I see both of your points and I'm not trying to delegate anything for any forum! Everything stated on this thread is just my opinions and I will stay or go as a member of any forum depending on if I like it or not.
At the same time I think you're falling into the trap of asking yourselves, "To make this forum great how can we make everyone happy?". We all know the answer to that!!!

It's one thing to be banned from a forum...you have no control over that. It's another to threaten the forum, whereas MANY members do just that when things don't go their way! And that's what bothers me. For example, the "T-shirt" example was over the top for me. Trump and a cycle with Hillary falling off and a derogatory message about a "B" falling off of the back. I saw it as a funny, MOTORCYLE-RELATED, t-shirt. Others threatened to leave the forum because it was too political for them.
With that particular thread there was never any discussion about politics. Reference? Maybe. But motorcycle shirts tend to be derogative in some way...because they're meant to be "biker-bad funny"!!! To threaten to leave a forum because that post "hurt your feelings", to me, only shows immature, childish behavior. The old, "Give me my ball back, I'm going home." nonsense.
So, yes, I agree that no politics or religion should be discussed in any thread. At the same time there may be a short quip from someone regarding those two subjects that aren't meant to support anyone's agenda...just to make people get a little chuckle. I have no issues with that.

MJC

Super Moderator
EVERYONE, Please go back and read the first post, of this tread, This could be a good forum:
"Too bad all the folks who stop by and visit here don't join and get involved.
That could make the place interesting."

We all came here for a reason, whatever that is, and became members. So keeping that in mind, some visit but do not become members, why? Maybe it is why they came here in the first place, it is a forum about the CTX700, lets keep it about that. No need to go into why you left that other forum or for that matter why you are a member of both or some other forum. Lets start posting about the ctx700, the bike, and the people who ride them, where you go, what you do, etc. Bottom line is, lets make this place interesting for the members we have, people visiting will see that and become members. We do not need people telling us what or how to post, just start a tread if it does not fit into any sub-forum just post it in General Discussion, if members do not find it to there liking they can say so. In time we will see what is and is not allowed. We should start with General Rules, keep this forum about the ctx700, and whatever relates to that. Do not worry about keeping a forum going til you have it going in the first place, members will come and go, you may get a different bike, you may stay here or move on.....but while you are here, you should be part of this forum, post, read, ask, etc....and you will see this place become interesting.
STOP THE WHY YOU CAME HERE and START MAKING THIS PLACE INTERESTING. People meet, fall in love, get married, if you talk about your past lovers, how good or bad they where, it will do no good, what works is keeping it interesting..lol.

Merlin III

Randy and Merlin...I see both of your points and I'm not trying to delegate anything for any forum! Everything stated on this thread is just my opinions and I will stay or go as a member of any forum depending on if I like it or not.
At the same time I think you're falling into the trap of asking yourselves, "To make this forum great how can we make everyone happy?". We all know the answer to that!!!

It's one thing to be banned from a forum...you have no control over that. It's another to threaten the forum, whereas MANY members do just that when things don't go their way! And that's what bothers me. For example, the "T-shirt" example was over the top for me. Trump and a cycle with Hillary falling off and a derogatory message about a "B" falling off of the back. I saw it as a funny, MOTORCYLE-RELATED, t-shirt. Others threatened to leave the forum because it was too political for them.
With that particular thread there was never any discussion about politics. Reference? Maybe. But motorcycle shirts tend to be derogative in some way...because they're meant to be "biker-bad funny"!!! To threaten to leave a forum because that post "hurt your feelings", to me, only shows immature, childish behavior. The old, "Give me my ball back, I'm going home." nonsense.
So, yes, I agree that no politics or religion should be discussed in any thread. At the same time there may be a short quip from someone regarding those two subjects that aren't meant to support anyone's agenda...just to make people get a little chuckle. I have no issues with that.

Sure DevilsFan, there is common sense middle ground, but when one or more members continuously bring up these "funny" political cartoons, or political innuendos, and put avatars up that continuously flash "Trump", it becomes a matter of not "hurt feelings", but anger for me. I am sick of email boxes stuffed with unsolicited political email, TV, Facebook, you name it. You just can't get away from it anymore, but I don't expect it on my motorcycle site.

randy1149

No... I'm not trying to make anybody happy, as I've stated more than once to prevent members here needing thick skins... nobody should not need to be thick skinned to come here and post. But I see that does bother you as your comfortable if people get ragged on... "makes people chuckle" you have no problem with.

Hanging a "motorcycle-related" t-shirt with political gestures is no longer a motorcycle-related t-shirt. It's an obvious undermined tact to get around the rules of the forum. You may have laughed but there's probably 50 members who didn't see it that way. THAT is exactly what needs to be stopped!!!! You see them as immature, childish behavior... isn't that a little judgemental without any bases because they don't see it your way. For the people who get a chuckle there's an equal amount of people who don't. People you don't agree with are fair game for laughs and chuckles.

Novac18

I have only joined four forums in my life, two were motorcycle related though I've learked around many sites learning what I could.

For me, the reasons for joining were, I needed to post a question, respond to a post or had something to share.

The reasons for staying were content and respectfulness.

Aloha

DevilsFan

Randy...I was referring to a grown adult "Threatening to leave the site" as immature and childish behavior!!!

This is one of the biggest things that causes friction (as stated in my previous posts about this thread) is the MISINTERPRETATION of someone's post! Again, what we READ and what we HEAR can be interpreted entirely different even though they have the same exact words used!

randy1149

EVERYONE, Please go back and read the first post, of this tread, This could be a good forum:

We all came here for a reason, whatever that is, and became members. So keeping that in mind, some visit but do not become members, why? Maybe it is why they came here in the first place, it is a forum about the CTX700, lets keep it about that. No need to go into why you left that other forum or for that matter why you are a member of both or some other forum. Lets start posting about the ctx700, the bike, and the people who ride them, where you go, what you do, etc. Bottom line is, lets make this place interesting for the members we have, people visiting will see that and become members. We do not need people telling us what or how to post, just start a tread if it does not fit into any sub-forum just post it in General Discussion, if members do not find it to there liking they can say so. In time we will see what is and is not allowed. We should start with General Rules, keep this forum about the ctx700, and whatever relates to that. Do not worry about keeping a forum going til you have it going in the first place, members will come and go, you may get a different bike, you may stay here or move on.....but while you are here, you should be part of this forum, post, read, ask, etc....and you will see this place become interesting.
STOP THE WHY YOU CAME HERE and START MAKING THIS PLACE INTERESTING. People meet, fall in love, get married, if you talk about your past lovers, how good or bad they where, it will do no good, what works is keeping it interesting..lol.

mjc, I've been here over a year and had the same issue with lots of visitors and no posting, thanks to ofdave we started to take traction. There might be a reason for no posting and it could be because there is 2 CTX700 forums vying for the same base. Can you think of any reason why this forum is always getting guest but they never sign up and post... WHY IS THAT?

Now people here are posting WHY they came here and there's a reason for that too. There is no question in my mind the other side has a mole or moles here to spy, create havoc and report back. After getting banned 3 or 4 times it is the only way to get any kind of message back to the people running it what is going on with the members. I'm sure by now they know how alot of us feel about Rebel13 and jhc, maybe something will be done, but at least well know their intentions. It's the mole's/spy's that I'm concerned about is another reason why we need General Rules as you recommended that close out any loose holes they can use to cause problems.

ofdave

good points mjc, I for one will no longer refer to the other place
did you notice how old this forum is?
have you also noticed there are none (zip, nada) of the old original posters who are active?
so post a new thread, can't wait to see it

fergy

My first post, and happy to be here. MJC turned me on to this forum and I agree wholeheartedly with what he is saying. I hope to learn here, contribute here, and join with like-minded folks who love riding and particularly this bike. I honestly do not want to worry about being thick or thin-skinned. This will be a great forum for CTX riders if our focus is on the bike and how we can help each other. Don't want to know about your politics, religion, loves or hates, unless it relates to this ride. So many other places to do all that. Used to ride a Piaggio scooter and was on the Modern Vespa forum. I still go there to learn even though I don't ride a scooter now. That's because MV and its moderators and members (who are spread across the globe) keep it real, keep it polite, keep it about the bikes. I look forward to hanging with you all and making this a great forum!

Merlin III

My first post, and happy to be here. MJC turned me on to this forum and I agree wholeheartedly with what he is saying. I hope to learn here, contribute here, and join with like-minded folks who love riding and particularly this bike. I honestly do not want to worry about being thick or thin-skinned. This will be a great forum for CTX riders if our focus is on the bike and how we can help each other. Don't want to know about your politics, religion, loves or hates, unless it relates to this ride. So many other places to do all that. Used to ride a Piaggio scooter and was on the Modern Vespa forum. I still go there to learn even though I don't ride a scooter now. That's because MV and its moderators and members (who are spread across the globe) keep it real, keep it polite, keep it about the bikes. I look forward to hanging with you all and making this a great forum!

I really didn't participate too much over there, but I remember "Fergy". Glad to have you here.

ofdave

@fergy
Welcome aboard!
while we know you have a CTX it will be easier to believe if you post a pic!
In fact, do a gallery-and not just you=all who are here should do a gallery to show off your ride and give us ideas of what we can do

burdicda

Let's go one up on all the other forums

I belong to a Suzuki Forum and on that site it is possible (with the permission of the individuals) to look up everyone in a specific "local to you" location. For instance I would love to easily find all other members near to me...Central Florida
without going through hundreds of messages...one at a time and looking at their sidebar to find out where they are at.
If this is already available here...pls let me know...

Another thing...
It's a ways off yet..but I would love to schedule a meetup at Daytona Bike Week (March) or Biketoberfest (October) of nothing but CTX700's...
say noon on the first Saturday at the Honda exibit at the Daytona Speedway???
Or in the case of Biketoberfest....(No Speedway exibits)....there is an Ice Rink on US1 just south of the city in Daytona Shores...where at one time Goldwings by the hundreds all met.