Add another horn.

randy1149

The horn on the CTX is pathetic at best. So I added another horn, a Fiamm Freeway Blaster #72112 Fiamm Horn. The Fiamm horn fits perfectly where the OEM horn is with no additional hardware or wiring.

Reinstalled the OEM horn behind the left foot peg using the Fiamm mounting bars, with black 16 awg. wires tapped into existing horn wiring, all done with crimp connectors. The install is straight forward with no special modifications. I did not need to increase the #6 fuse as it does not blow with the horns blowing and all the lights on.

The sound is not pretty but it's much louder.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Fiamm.jpg
    Fiamm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

ofdave

nice job
I added a Wolo and kept the stock,
Now I can give a little beep to kids and jogging moms-but can also give a "don't you dare" blast to the texters.

MJC

Super Moderator
I have a used Wolo horn from a old bike that I would like to install on the CTX but have no wiring details on how to do it. Randy, the horn that you installed, you just used the stock wiring, how loud is it? Ofdave, how did you wire in two horns? DO you have two switches?

ofdave

I have a used Wolo horn from a old bike that I would like to install on the CTX but have no wiring details on how to do it. Randy, the horn that you installed, you just used the stock wiring, how loud is it? Ofdave, how did you wire in two horns? DO you have two switches?

I installed the Wolo hard wired from the battery with a switch and 10 amp fuse. The horn button switch is from Ebay-6 or 7 bucks?
Here is a pic of the horn button (red) and a switch I installed for LEDs on the forks (to be seen better),the little blue light tells me when the LEDs are on. The lights have their own circuit and a 5 amp fuse. The light switch is waterproof from a marine surplus store.
P1010211.jpg

I have since replaced the shiny stainless bolt with a black one.
Always know the temp with my Cessna aircraft thermometer!

Last edited:

randy1149

I used the stock wiring, connected the existing wires to the Flamm horn and tapped off these wires with black 16 AWG extension wire to the relocated OEM horn with crimp on connectors. The horn is loud but not pretty. No fuse or horn button mods required.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Well I tired to hook up the Wolo horn by replacing it with the stock horn. Plugged wires in and it worked, but if you honk for more then 2 seconds the fuse blows. So I have to get a 20 AMP line with fuse, and run it to the battery with a relay. Just for info: On the relay, #87 will go to the + on the new horn, (holding the relay with 87 on top) the two side connections go to the wires that where on the stock horn (it does not make a difference which wire) and the bottom wire on the relay goes to ground. On the new horn the - also goes to ground. Now you will be able to use the stock horn button with your new horn. I will try this later and post back here. I think I will just leave the stock horn where it is and put the new horn on the side of the bike. Where did everyone put there new horns???

randy1149

Well I tired to hook up the Wolo horn by replacing it with the stock horn. Plugged wires in and it worked, but if you honk for more then 2 seconds the fuse blows. So I have to get a 20 AMP line with fuse, and run it to the battery with a relay. Just for info: On the relay, #87 will go to the + on the new horn, (holding the relay with 87 on top) the two side connections go to the wires that where on the stock horn (it does not make a difference which wire) and the bottom wire on the relay goes to ground. On the new horn the - also goes to ground. Now you will be able to use the stock horn button with your new horn. I will try this later and post back here. I think I will just leave the stock horn where it is and put the new horn on the side of the bike. Where did everyone put there new horns???

Here's your schematic, the method you choose is probably the best & cleanest without adding more buttons. On the relay #85 & #86 are the coil of the relay, #87 & #30 are the contacts. Also you can leave the OEM horn working for some extra DB's. In my neighborhood louder trumps pretty.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Here's your schematic, the method you choose is probably the best & cleanest without adding more buttons. On the relay #85 & #86 are the coil of the relay, #87 & #30 are the contacts. Also you can leave the OEM horn working for some extra DB's. In my neighborhood louder trumps pretty.

So if I want to keep the OEM horn, would I just wire the new and then send wires from the new to the OEM? or would I send wires from the OEM (leaving it alone) to the relay? Thanks for the schematic.

randy1149

So if I want to keep the OEM horn, would I just wire the new and then send wires from the new to the OEM? or would I send wires from the OEM (leaving it alone) to the relay? Thanks for the schematic.

Just piggyback off the existing wires with crimp connectors on the OEM and connect them to 85 & 86 (the coil), there is NO polarity so there's no particular from and to. Connect 30 to + of the battery and 87 to the horn. BOTH horns will beep when button pushed. If you don't like it just remove one of the wires off the OEM it will stop it from blowing. This method you leave everything in pretty much stock condition and with this method you don't need to any button additions or modifications. The down side the relay is restricted to use of just the horn. Your call?

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Thank you randy1149, will wire it up Sunday night after ride. Going to keep factory and just add the wolo to the left side of bike. ofdave, thanks for the pix, that is where I am going to put my horn too.

randy1149

Thank you randy1149, will wire it up Sunday night after ride. Going to keep factory and just add the wolo to the left side of bike. ofdave, thanks for the pix, that is where I am going to put my horn too.

Gook choice.

FYI, in regards to our previous communications I'm still in Virginia, I will call you for an eyeball when I get back next week and perhaps we can set up a day for a ride. Think about a place 1/2 between us to meet... I live just off the Sprain Brook Pkwy in Yonkers.