bike fell

MJC

Super Moderator
I had my bike parked in my garage on the kick stand. My garage floor is not cement but black-top (same has my driveway). Anyway, the kick stand went into the black-top and the bike fell over hitting the wall. I found it like that this morning, not sure when it happened or how long it was down. I had I hard time getting the kick stand out of the floor, it was way down in there, up to the frame of the bike, the left side hit the wall. The CB windshield, left grip, left post, left front/side fairing, left hard bag and part of the seat hit the wall. The wall is sheet rock after about 3 feet of cement block. LOL, they used the cement for the wall and must have run out when it came to the floor. I went out and got some plywood and front wheel holder so now this will not happen again, I hope. The bike is OK, some marks here and there, may have to get new parts if I want it to look nicer. I was happy that my this did not happen to my Nomad that I am selling, but it is funny how the Nomad is over 900 lbs and has never even put a dent in the black top but the 500 pound CTX went down. Raining now so I will have to take her for a long test ride just to make sure she is fine, maybe a long trip is in order.....

Novac18

Mjc, wow,.. Very sorry to hear about this. Would or could a wider base for the kick stand have prevented this, was the floor the defect? Kind of sounds that way, I mean, all the way to the frame can't be normal.

I'm glad you feel the damage wasn't that bad but any damage hurts! I feel your pain.

Aloha

Merlin III

Yes, the side stand definitely needs a larger foot. I have looked in vain to find one on the aftermarket. I now carry a puck with a string on it everywhere I go. My bike, when I bought it, had been dropped. Good luck, and thanks for posting the reminder on this issue.

Steven

It seems to me that the simplest solution would be to weld a larger plate on the side stand. I'm sure there are people that can do it. One word of caution if you go this route is that it might be best to remove the stand from the bike to prevent any electrical damage from the welder, or use braze welding (I think I got that right).

Last edited:

Merlin III

I agree Steve. I will do that this Winter if I don't find something this Summer at some of the rally shows or during a trip to Twisted Throttle with the CTX where I can try various other "Big Foots" made specifically for other bikes. I did order one that was purportedly made for the NC700, but that ended up being 40 dollars thrown away.

I looked into buying a welder. You can get an arc welder for as little as 300 dollars, but then again I would have to learn how to use it. Maybe it is time to find one of these part-time welders and have them weld a foot on and at the same time take out an inch or so out of the center stand so that it is user friendly. Right now the center stand is a pita. I use wood blocks under the rear to make is easier to use. That is okay at home, but If I go on a long tour, I don't want to be carrying blocks of wood with me for chain maintenance.

MJC

Super Moderator
Well I am not happen about my bike falling but I think if it would have fell the other way and hit my other bike (which is black) that would have been real bad. My bike fell because of the black top floor, I guess water has been going under the floor for years and washed the dirt away, without it the blacktop got soft (in small spots) and the kick stand was in just the right place to brake the black top and go down into the dirt. When I got my bike the PO gave me a plastic plate to put under the stand, which I have been using. But the bike when on the kick stand seems like it wants to fall over, like the stand is too long, and using the kick stand plate made me feel like the bike was going to go over even more. What I am going to do is get a used kick stand, cut it and make a bigger feet plate for it. I have taken a sheet of plywood, bolted a front wheel Chock to it and I just use that for now. The plywood also gives the kick stand a solid place to sit on. I will keep the group posted on making wider plate, shorter kick stands......

Thumper

That sucks mjc! Here in Florida it gets so hot out that our asphalt melts. I've come out of restaurants on a hot day and found my bike has sunk down almost to the point of falling over. I install foot plates on every bike I own now. My wife has to use a plastic pad on the CTX to prevent the same thing happening. I think the small kickstand foot and the way the stand is attached is the Achilles Heel on the CTX. Good luck on fixing something up. Standing by to see what you figure out.

ofdave

You need a wider foot on the sidestand.
Not too difficult to do.
See the thread I started on the one I made.

MJC

Super Moderator
You need a wider foot on the sidestand.
Not too difficult to do.
See the thread I started on the one I made.

Good thread on the wider foot, thanks for sharing! I am going to try that just not today, have to ride and clear my head.....